Mt Home Idaho

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FarWestFastEddie

Reaction score
Thought I would revive this thread and refresh plans on meeting Wed in Mt. Home, and departing thursday for a ride up Hwy 20 and maybe fishing on the way. Rich has expressed interest, I am sure FJRay would join us on the ride if he cares to. Spud, maybe you can reccomend a clean motel within crawling distance of a dining/drinking establishment? In one of the other threads, mention was made of a great steak house?

I am starting to get excited about getting on a ride and just as salmon fishing offshore is starting to pickup.... Choices, but WFO dues have been paid...

Lets get some interest in a Mt. Home meeting..

FWFE

Bluesman, sounds good, we do have some fair to good rides around here. :p

Hey Ray! the Steak house you mentioned earlier in another thread, would that be Aj's restaurant? Garmin shows it near the Best Western and Sleep Inn just north of I-84 on Hwy 20. Anyway, I am going to make one of those two motels my Wed night spot. Hope to see a few FJR's in the area..

FWFE

Bluesman, sounds good, we do have some fair to good rides around here. :p

Hey Ray! the Steak house you mentioned earlier in another thread, would that be Aj's restaurant? Garmin shows it near the Best Western and Sleep Inn just north of I-84 on Hwy 20. Anyway, I am going to make one of those two motels my Wed night spot. Hope to see a few FJR's in the area..

FWFE

That's the place. May be there myself but haven't finished plans yet.

Mountain Home has a town center, and then some hotels/restaurants at the intersection of I-84 and HWY 20. I've only stayed at the intersection, and they have 3 hotels there right together: Hampton Inn, Sleep Inn and Best Western. I think they're all ok but rates may not be great as they're right off the interstate. I've stayed at the Best Western and it was good.

Walking distance from there is a big truck stop (Pilot Travel Center) that last time I tried it had a pretty decent buffet, Winger's that has some good beer on tap and ok food, then AJ's, which I've never tried.

As for fishing--it may not be good. The whole area has really high water and a lot of snow to still come down. We're close to flooding--the Idaho Falls are almost gone right now the water is so high--it's becoming a big rapid. If water levels are still high, fishing will be off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spud, thanks for the fishing tip, I still am going to bring a small rod and reel, maybe find a blue gill pond.

I hope you can join us for the overland ride into Idaho Falls. Giving it any thought?

Boise is my home town and I will be staying there with a friend, but could get up early enough to meet up with you guys in Mountain Home before you leave for Idaho Falls.

Not to eff-up all the Plans here, but the epic ride from there to here is Boise to Idaho City to Lowman to Stanley to Idaho Falls (through Challis or Sun Valley, take your pick). If you aren't doing this on the way there, do it on the way back. Google-map the route from Idaho City to Stanly, then zoom in and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's THE windiest road I have ever seen....

Spud, checking my official Idaho map, at Stanley, Hwy 75 runs two directions, both routes can reach Idaho Falls, I am guessing staying on the Sawtooth scenic byway and going thru Ketchum? to Hwy 20?

and don't worry about throwing a wrench in the works, its time like now to plan routes. Its locals input that helps shape a great ride!

FWFE

From Stanley you can go either way--there's less than a 20 mile difference. You can go south, through Ketchum. That ride goes up and over Galena Summit and is very nice, then through some beautiful country toward Ketchum, then dodging range rovers and porsches, pass the lines of Gulfstreams at the airport as you temporarily leave Idaho (Sun Valley), then through Craters of the Moon to Arco.

The North way takes you to Challis, then through Mackey to Arco. The Stanley to Challis ride is very, very nice following the Salmon River through a canyon with turn after turn. Between Challis and Arco, you'll ride right past Idaho's highest mountain range (Lost River Range), and right by Mt. Borah, Idaho's highest peak.

It's really a toss-up, they're both good rides.

Spud, Great info! Thanks, Sounds like the North route may be a bit more enjoyable and less travelled. Though the routs shows close to 500 miles, would be an energetic ride, also I am an avowed candyasser... sounds like a good ride. What would be doing the loop leaving from Idaho Falls and hitting Arco, then Ketchum on to Stanley back to Arco & Idaho Falls? Although, that may be one of the day rides during the WFO.. So many roads to choose from.

FWFE

Boise is my home town and I will be staying there with a friend, but could get up early enough to meet up with you guys in Mountain Home before you leave for Idaho Falls.
Jer, Of course come join us, and anyone else who is out for an adventure!

Ray, I am going to try to be in Burns tuesday night.

FWFE

From Mountain Home to Idaho City to Stanley to Challis to Idaho Falls is 372 miles. About half of those are slow and technical, so it's a good day ride.

Spud,

Thanks for your input and knowledge, and what I am thinking is still meeting in Mt Home on wed and riding 20 to Idaho Falls, the reason, is doing the other loop ride based from Idaho Falls, the advantage is not being loaded down with travel gear and have a heavy bike to deal with the technical turns, etc.

I see attendance may be an issue, we have had 200 views on this subject alone, so there should be interest. I for one am going to be making the ride to I.F. as my room is paid. I also am very interested in doing the big loop. Staying in Mt Home on wed nite and trying the Steak House Aj's as mentioned by Ray, who, as eveidenced by his petite figure, knows a good meal when he devoures one...

Hope this all turns out!

FWFE

Spud,

Thanks for your input and knowledge, and what I am thinking is still meeting in Mt Home on wed and riding 20 to Idaho Falls, the reason, is doing the other loop ride based from Idaho Falls, the advantage is not being loaded down with travel gear and have a heavy bike to deal with the technical turns, etc.

I see attendance may be an issue, we have had 200 views on this subject alone, so there should be interest. I for one am going to be making the ride to I.F. as my room is paid. I also am very interested in doing the big loop. Staying in Mt Home on wed nite and trying the Steak House Aj's as mentioned by Ray, who, as eveidenced by his petite figure, knows a good meal when he devoures one...

Hope this all turns out!

FWFE
You silver tounged devil. You should have known me when I was 150 lbs. heavier than I am now. :eek:

Attaboys to Spud. :)

I hope to be riding some of this area in July, and Spud has laid out some good sounding routes for me to check out the 3 or 4 days I'm around.

Status
Not open for further replies.