CFR 2011 - Hopewell Rocks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRGuy

FJR Rally Addict! :D
Reaction score
The Hopewell Rocks is high on my list of 'must see's while in the area. I am looking into booking a 'Group' visit to the site and arbitrarily picked Wednesday for this ride. The Low Tide window for this day is from 9 to 3 so we should hit right in the middle of it. The per person group rate is $4.75 (vs $9 regular) and, if we're lucky (I'll know soon), we may get access to the lower motor-coach parking area saving us 30 - 40 min of hiking (or $4 of shuttle rides) from/to the main parking lot. The main catch is we must arrive all together.

By way of the above poll, let me know if you'd be interested in visiting the site with a group, on your own, or if you don't plan on visiting the site.

Edit: When originally proposed this to MEM, Wednesday was given the nod. Unfortunately, I hadn't fully re-visited this with MEM sufficiently before posting. We will be changing the reservation to Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't really heard anything about any group rides or activities, so I don't really know what is being planned. I figured we would figure it out on Monday when we get there? But if there needs to be group plans in advance it sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm just following whoever leads out of the parking lot! :p

Amanda and I would like to join this little adventure, we were planning on doing this anyway! :yahoo:

Sounds great. It's on my to do list, so count me in. I assume it's part of some ride we are doing.

Our Rally Mistress had something in the works, I believe. I don't care which day, Tuesday or Wednesday, but we have to stop in Alma... As for the agenda once you're there, you want to see both the rocks and the other end of the trail, so I suppose you could park down below, ride up later to the main lot and walk in to the other end.... of course, I defer to local knowledge, as I have only been there once 3 years ago.

This is absolutely on my list. I don't much care which day we do it. Going in a group would be great, so I guess I'll just keep following Fred, since I'm going to follow him all the way to CFR. I hope he doesn't think I'm stalking him.... :eek:

The other ride I plan to take is the one with all the ferry rides.

Our Rally Mistress had something in the works, I believe. I don't care which day, Tuesday or Wednesday, but we have to stop in Alma... As for the agenda once you're there, you want to see both the rocks and the other end of the trail, so I suppose you could park down below, ride up later to the main lot and walk in to the other end.... of course, I defer to local knowledge, as I have only been there once 3 years ago.

My CFR riding buddy (Glenn) and I are only there for Tuesday........and leaving right after the lobster broil that night

(really short on time I know :angry2: ). The one area I don't want to miss is Hopewell rocks. On our way back to Freddy (that afternoon), we will try to cross a few ferries (time dependent of course) north of St. John. Tuesday for me.....sorry guys and gals.......if you have all planned for Wednesday, please don't change it on our account. We'll be like the CFR ghost riders........"who were those guys??"

Now it has been a few years since I been but I remember walking from the main parking lot down to the stairs and walked on the ocean floor as they say. How old are you again? :unsure:

This is like voting in a federal election - voting without all the information. Sheesh :blink:

Believe it or not, I DO have a Plan. My bad for not sharing it with you ( too many other little details to look after ;) )

So....here it is. Note: it's premised upon riding as a group. Or most of us riding as a group. New Brunswick has only 3 or 4 roads so I didn't make gps routes. RossKean may make up a route for the Ferry Run but, like most of us, he's busy. I mean, it's not as if we've been planning this for 10 months or anything ;)

Monday - beemerdons, Beetle and yamafitter (maybe shakin and gdsfjr03)and I are riding to St Stephen to meet Fred W and his posse coming from "over across". We'll ride out to Ossies on rte 1 for lunch (bring cash, and lots of it - they don't take VISA and it's spendy - but good :p )

After lunch, we'll ride into St Andrews (rte 127), park the bikes and walk around a bit there. It's about an hour and a half - hour and 45 minutes - to Freddy from St Andrews.

Monday evening - registration (when we get back from St Andrews) and wander around introducing yourselves :lol: The Schnitzel Parlour at the Motel is open, I believe, until 8pm . Or we can get a pizza. Or something.

Tuesday - KSU as early as the latest riders in the night before (mattster31, SPIFF, Nsrider and Mrs Nsrider) can get their butts in gear. 0800 LATEST. Ride to Fundy Park and Alma (via various backroads)- for coffee and sticky buns; scoot out to Cape Enrage and then head for the Rocks at Hopewell. (Mark and I are doing that run on Friday so will check out this lower parking lot business - that I didn't know anything about until I talked to FJR Guy) Also, raYzerman ....are you talking about the trail from the ticket booths to the stairs ? Personally, I think that short little jaunt is part of the appeal of the Hopewell Rocks AND the rip-off tourist gift shop is at that end if anyone wants to browse in there. We're all in pretty good shape - I think we could park in the main lot and walk down. ALL open to discussion !!!

Lunch at a restaurant just past the Hopewell Park gates. Back to Ground Zero via 112. And mattster31, we can put you on a ferry - but it'd be a spoiler for the Ferry Run crowd going the next day ;)

Tuesday evening: Lobster Boil at the Silverwood - for discussion purposes, let's say 7:30ish for now. Our Group Photo will be then since that's when MOST of us will be in one place. How about just before dinner? Then we'll do a little dance, make a little love smoke a cigar, get down tonight :D

Wednesday - KSU at 0800h and...hi-ho Silver, Blue, Black and Black Cherry, Away! (it's late, I just got off work and just thinking about this ride makes me giddy ! :yahoo: ) 3 ferries TO St. Martins and 2 ferries back. It's a long day - looking at 9.5 hours but it's beautiful, nicely paced ( at least it was for 3 bikes on Saturday; hard to say what 30 will be like :p ) and there are lots of breaks (at the ferries). We'll be in St Martins in plenty of time to take a run out the Fundy Trail and return to the Caves Restaurant for lunch. The restaurant is right on the rocky Bay of Fundy beach where, on a clear day, you can see forever Nova Scotia ;) .

Wednesday evening - Rally Dinner at the Schnitzel Parlour. Raffle off a few prizes with funds going to ....food bank? soup kitchen? spca ? :) TBD. Have a beer or two, smoke another cigar, shoot the poop (if Reno John was here, he'd have us out shooting indians) and hit the hay to dream about Cape Breton!

So, kids, NOW you have The Rest of the Story. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. How about we have a little pow-wow on Monday evening - say, around 8:30? or when most everyone has arrived.

Note: Original post edited to reflect MEM's schedule.

... As for the agenda once you're there, you want to see both the rocks and the other end of the trail, so I suppose you could park down below, ride up later to the main lot and walk in to the other end....
Whats the attraction at "the other end"? Park staff lead me to believe its pretty much just the souvenir shop and cafeteria with a view of the Bay.

Now it has been a few years since I been but I remember walking from the main parking lot down to the stairs and walked on the ocean floor as they say. How old are you again? :unsure:
Young enough to still prefer to spend that extra 30 - 40 min riding rather than walking!
wink.gif

Well, due to the clever editing, I didn't even have to change my vote!!

But I changed my mind. I'll be following Mary Ellen around for sure!! :wub:

That whole itinerary sounds most excellent. :yahoo:

Great work MEM. I know this whole event can cause a little stress but it is all appreciated. Feel free to hit that sun switch any day now.........I'm starting to get moldy.

Did I mention it is only 4 more sleeps. :yahoo:

Canadian FJR