Dealer/Mechanic Recommendation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goody

Reaction score
2003 FJR, 58k. Any one know which dealer or independant mechanic in my area would be the go to guy? I've been screwed by a local Triumph dealer on my 1999 Trophy 1200, I would rather avoid that pain again. Need valves checked, tune up, etc. I've also been having some intermittant stoppage of the motor. Starts right back up, then goes away7 for a while, then happens again. Like you've just turned the key off. This evening stuttered 3 or 4 times at 70mph, quit for perhaps 1/2 second, catch back up, quit again in a quarter mile. Did this 3 or 4 times, then ran the 20 miles home with nary a bobble. Half tank of gas, not overly hot, 2-3 bars. Figure to have the shop check all the cut off switches, clean contacts and such.

Don't know anybody in your area but your symptoms sound like the key switch is going bad. Not a real common issue on 03 but mine did it and I know of some others.

Stadium Yamaha. 520 Airport Fwy, in Irving. 972-445-0825. Ask for Dean Phelps. If he is the mechanic that works on it, it will be fixed right. I have a lot of confidence in his ability. Might not be cheap, but it will be repaired correctly. Make sure you request he do the work instead of one of his other mechanics. He did the valve check on my 04 FJR and I plan on him doing the valves on my 08. He has done other work on a Vmax I used to have also.

GP

Thanks for the help. I have heard that Stadium is a good shop. I bought the bike from my boss, he bought it when the first ones came in. In fact he said he had to pre-order as Yamaha wasn't going to bring anymore than were already spoke for. He would know if the TPS was ever replaced.

I know he told me that he had a fork seal go bad, and didn't have time to do the work himself before a trip. So he took it to a dealer in Richardson, which charged him for rebuilding the forks. Just before I bought it he had the same seal go bad, so he and his soin replaced all the seals and upper and lower bushings. Sure enough when they pulled them apart they found that one side still contained the factory oil and seal. I sure don't want to take it there.

The Triumph I alluded to was a case of me taking it in to have the coils checked. The Gill coils are a known trouble spot on these. When I picked the bike up the had charged me $540 dollars to check and rejet the carbs. Iask why they had done that and they said it was lean due to the aftermarket pipes. I asked about the coils and they replied there was no problem with them. Pay up, ride down the street and the bike is doing the same thing, running on two cylinders up to about 2500 rpm. Take it back, they keep it two more days, monkey with carbs some more. I pick it up, doing the same thing. I go home and order the coils from Nylogy. When they arrive I put them on in about 1 hours time, never had another problem. All they had to do was to test the coils with an amp meter like I requested. This was at RPM Cycle, after the new owners bought it. I had a lot of service done when the old guys owned it, but they were old school bikers, having comne up through Big D Cycle, working and riding the Salt Flats bikes and road racers.

Again, I am at a stage in life where I don't really want to work on stuff my self. It was fun in high school, but now I am at a age and economic level where I would just as soon pay someone to do it for me. I just don't like being taken advantage of.

Thanks for the help. I have heard that Stadium is a good shop. I bought the bike from my boss, he bought it when the first ones came in. In fact he said he had to pre-order as Yamaha wasn't going to bring anymore than were already spoke for. He would know if the TPS was ever replaced.

I know he told me that he had a fork seal go bad, and didn't have time to do the work himself before a trip. So he took it to a dealer in Richardson, which charged him for rebuilding the forks. Just before I bought it he had the same seal go bad, so he and his soin replaced all the seals and upper and lower bushings. Sure enough when they pulled them apart they found that one side still contained the factory oil and seal. I sure don't want to take it there.

The Triumph I alluded to was a case of me taking it in to have the coils checked. The Gill coils are a known trouble spot on these. When I picked the bike up the had charged me $540 dollars to check and rejet the carbs. Iask why they had done that and they said it was lean due to the aftermarket pipes. I asked about the coils and they replied there was no problem with them. Pay up, ride down the street and the bike is doing the same thing, running on two cylinders up to about 2500 rpm. Take it back, they keep it two more days, monkey with carbs some more. I pick it up, doing the same thing. I go home and order the coils from Nylogy. When they arrive I put them on in about 1 hours time, never had another problem. All they had to do was to test the coils with an amp meter like I requested. This was at RPM Cycle, after the new owners bought it. I had a lot of service done when the old guys owned it, but they were old school bikers, having comne up through Big D Cycle, working and riding the Salt Flats bikes and road racers.

Again, I am at a stage in life where I don't really want to work on stuff my self. It was fun in high school, but now I am at a age and economic level where I would just as soon pay someone to do it for me. I just don't like being taken advantage of.
Wow, that is painful. I use RPMcycle as well for my service (Triumph) and had decent luck. Zach is the technician who works on my bike. Not sure if he was there when they first took over Keith. Definitely not cheap. I used the guys in Ft Worth (Tony) a few times, but it is not just as convenient (I live in Frisco).

Cannot help on good Yamaha dalers in the area, but I will be curious to hear more on other people's experiences. I was considering the dealer up in Lewisville.

OK, picked it up from Stadium today. Dean did every thing he could to trace the problem, but could not make it happen for him. This is the frustrating part of diagnostics. If it would stay broke it's fairly simple to fix. Anyway, he found the two wires going to the right handlebar kill switch had corrosion, so replaced the ends on those. Also found some 12 to 14 connectors under the take that had varying degrees of corrosion and replaced those. Put dielectric grease on everything and we hoped for the best. Alas, it was not to be.

It happend another 6 or 8 times this evening, and this time I was more in tune with what was happening. The bike absolutely will not start back up until it is in neutral. As I said before, the dash remains lit, all instruments are working. If in gear and you pull the clutch in, then hit the starter button, the engine does not turn, the orange engine light comes on and you can hear the fuel pump buzzing. As soon as you find neutral it will turn over and start right up, clutch in or out.

Is there anyway to disable the kickstand swith or defeat the circuit?

Might be time to just up and replace the ignition switch. Every time you put the key in that thing you introduce "FOD" into that area. I'm surprised my 05 hasn't given me any trouble there but I suck on my key before I install it into the key slot......every time.

Oh, "FOD" is foreign object debris. I work at bell in hurst.

Might be time to just up and replace the ignition switch. Every time you put the key in that thing you introduce "FOD" into that area. I'm surprised my 05 hasn't given me any trouble there but I suck on my key before I install it into the key slot......every time.

It couldn't be that you haven't washed that 05 since you bought it? :lol:

He checked the ignition switch as well. And how would tmhat relate to the starting only in neutral symptom?

As an aside, I wonder why this thread was moved to a regional board, when it seems to have widespread appeal?

He checked the ignition switch as well. And how would tmhat relate to the starting only in neutral symptom?

As an aside, I wonder why this thread was moved to a regional board, when it seems to have widespread appeal?
Sorry about not getting your bike fixed yet. Dean is really good. If he can't fix it, I don't know who can. Good luck.

GP

I have used an independent located in FW, Wildcard Custom, 817-831-9700, Owner- Jaxon Fiffe.

He has a FJR and as well he builds custom bikes.

I recommend his work and you can trust that what he says he did, he did, but not cheap.

Good luck.

Mark