CFR 2011, made it home thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...We headed for Moncton where it was decided the battery was actually ok - prolly loose connection. Don bought a trickle charger anyway...
While we were browsing in the Atlantic Motoplex bike shop I spotted a 03 FJR on the floor.

They had a listed price of $9000 Canadian Dollars on the bike. I almost pissed myself laughing.

Apparently these Maritimers have a great sense of humour.

Fred W and Josie, Jane and I, SHAKIN, Charlie Hoss, GEEZER, and Thingfish, left Pictou 0815 NB time. lousy and overcast with some light rain so we ska Ed it to the St Stephan crossing.

As soon as we got thru the skies opened up. heavy rain with occasional lightning, arrived at Eagles Nest for lobster rolls at 0230 US time. The Fred Ws were staying in Brewer so we split off and continued on. The rain had stopped, but I was soaked to the skin in the vital area. Charlie took us down the. Pike to a faster road to Rt 2. Thanks Charlie it worked out well.

SHAKIN Jane and I arrived at camp in RANGELEY at 1815 534 miles from Pictou.

SHAKIN will head for home after the fog lifts this morning.

THANKS TO MEM and all her helpers for a great CFR and all the good memories.

Jack and The Bride

Got home safe at 10:45 EDT Saturday night.

BBDig and Jane, SHAKIN, Charlie Hoss, Thingfish and I left the Eagle's nest in Maine after chowing on lobster rolls and other things. After the others pealed off in the direction of their destinations Thingfish and I continued south through Maine and then west across Mass. About 10 miles before Thingfish and I parted to different directions we saw some dark skies and lightning. We geared up and hit a frog strangler just as we parted ways. I got behind the vehicle with the brightest rear flashers I could find and hoped the driver could see the road better than I could. It only lasted a few miles for me and the rest of my ride was uneventful. I hope Thingfish had similar luck.

Thanks to MEM for putting together a great rally and for showing us a sampling of what the Maritimes have to offer.

Thanks to Fred_W for showing us the way from New Hamphire, throughout most of CFR, and back home. Even though he took some ribbing for leading us down some dirt roads, I enjoyed them as much as the rest. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got home safe at 10:45 EDT Saturday night...Thanks to Fred_W for showing us the way from New Hamphire, throughout most of CFR, and back home...he took ...us down some dirt roads...
Glad that everyone is getting home safe. No Fred_W ride is complete without some dirt (mud) roads; it's a plan, not an accident :lol:

The rain had stopped, but I was soaked to the skin in the vital area.
I hate that cold wet trickle down in the nether regions. Chills you to the core... :(

Looks like everybody had a great time.

The Maritime Provinces and Maine are on my list to do some hot and dry summer. ;)

I just couldn't work it into the plans this year.

Thanks to Mary Ellen for leading the way back to Freddy Beach and for the coffee and PIE (eat at your heart out Niehart). As we approached Freddy Beach the Maritimes realized that CFR was over and the Maritimes skies cried on us as we headed for the border. Seth, Don & I continued on the Trans-Canada as Mary Ellen peeled off at Freddy Beach and we continued on the soggy path to McAdams where we stopped in at the largest gun store I have ever seen in Canada. For a second I thought I had blown through the border crossing and was in Maine. Don needed the stop the rearrange some luggage that was trying to escape from the bike.

We arrived in Lincoln, Maine in good time and found us some nice, warm & dry motel rooms with a successful completion of leg #1 of our return trip.
Hey, did someone say pie? :lol:

Sounds like you folks had a blast! Loved the pictures in the other post.

PS: We were kind of hopping you would keep Don but if we have to take him back, I guess thats OK.

Hi Mem. i wondered what happened to my cigar's.

Shakin reporting in making it home safe & sound!

Special thanks to MEM for making CFR 2011 such a fun & entertaining rally. :)

And to Jack & Jane for their generous hospitality sharing their Camp.

To Bill for generating the interest and planning the "Apres CFR" ride.

And to Fred W for ??? oh yeah including me on the CFR 2011 enduro team. (actually Fred just keeps our off road riding skills up to date with his idea of a test). I passed :yahoo:

Cheers, Ian

Josie and I rolled in back home at around 1PM today.

We stayed in a little Mom and Pop motel in Brewer last night after the lobstah roll feast at Eagle's Nest yesterday after noon. Colony Motel, right on Airline Drive (Rte 9) Highly recommended if you're in the area and need or want a place to crash. It was a welcome respite after suffering the deluge from Calais on down.

This morning we set out at 0630 (we aren't too good at sleeping in) in a light mist. Rolled down I95 to Rte 2, then Rte 117 thru a bunch of cool Maine backwater towns. Even went through some town named Turner? Sounds familiar some how... :rolleyes:

More back roads through Maine into New Hampshire and things became gradually warmer and the roads dried out. Had some fun with a couple of sport bike guys (after passing them) along rte 28 from Wolfboro on down until they decided that those two old farts on the bagger were riding too aggressively for them to hang with us. :rolleyes:

Our thanks go out to everyone that had a hand in making this CFR such a great time.

There was obviously a lot of effort and attention put in by a few people to make it all work so well, and everyone that was involved knows who you people are.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Left Lincoln, Maine and took a very nice northern route through Maine, New Hampshire & Vermont.

We got rained on just south of Stowe VT and we got drowned when we finished crossing over the pass on VT 17. We made the ferry just as they had finished unloading the cars coming over from Essex, NY and met Seth's mom & aunt at the landing. Seth now gets to spend the rest of his vacation on a 55 foot SeaRay Cabin cruiser having two women dolt over him. I get to spend the rest of my vacation with BeemerDon. I asked Seth if he wanted to trade but Seth knew which was the better deal and said no.

We are sitting at the Best Western across the road from the Miracle on Ice in Lake Placid. Tomorrow we go to Tom's and drink fresh beer.

I have photos but we're having problems with the Wi-Fi so I will have to post those later.

Any idea regarding your Owosso landing?
There's been a change in plans. Don decided he likes donkeys over sheep and is heading directly back to the Valley of the Blast Furnace from here in Lake Placid. Don was also starting to develop a twitch from following my good friend Mr Zumo for the last week. I'm changing my plans to stop and visit friends near Kingston and then head for the barn in Bowmanville. Sorry we won't see you as planned but I'll be talking to you soon.

The moose in Cape Breton were extremely disappointed that you did not come to CFR. They were hoping for a seminar on bestiality from such a world renowned expert such as yourslf.

They asked me to pass this along to you...

moose-L.jpg

Hey! I know that guy with the glasses!! ;)

Well ain't that just the shits aboot Senior Stanley. :eek:

What the hell am I going to do with the burro I rented?

Well, I arrived home yesterday afternoon. Peppermint Patty and I had left CFR for points northeast to Miramichi and then on to the Gaspe for a 3 day adventure. Jeff and Lucie were somewhere behind us on a different pace and probably took an extra day or two to soak in the awesome scenery. No rain at all, although some of the mornings were crisp (8C), and the daytime temps rather cool (14C) along the ocean. I'll post up a separate report later. On Saturday morning, we left Riviere du Loup in some misty stuff that lasted all day, and we had to use rain gear. I overnighted at Patty's in Montreal, then headed home Sunday morning with patchy misty wet spots, no rain gear. About half way home, I discovered my bike had developed the dreaded sticky rear brake pedal syndrome, so had to make sure I pulled up on it after using it. 7 days total, 4430 kms. (~2750 miles).

CFR was a great success. What can one say about Mary Ellen!! Wow, all that energy and attention to every detail to ensure we were all happy. What a girl!! Many thanks to her and her disorganizing committee.

Oh yes, I am sorry to say I must point out a big typo in the CFR stickers that many of you will have stuck on your bikes, helmets and other places..... How did the printer and the proof-readers miss this??!!! It should read "CFR Merrytimes". Sheesh!

Great to see you all, and thanks for a good time.

Oh yes, I am sorry to say I must point out a big typo in the CFR stickers that many of you will have stuck on your bikes, helmets and other places..... How did the printer and the proof-readers miss this??!!! It should read "CFR Merrytimes". Sheesh!

Great to see you all, and thanks for a good time.
:lol: OMG - you had me worried there for a sec ! (visions of TOAS ;) )

Thank you for all the kind words, Ray. The pleasure was entirely ours :D

See you at NERDS! (where I'm bloody well going to get my heated jacket liner hooked up!!! :blink: )

If your counting worn out tires, make that five tires. Yesterday I had my front replaced at MacLeans in Fredericton.

Doesn't count unless unless you were workin' on wearin' through the second belt when a replacement motorcycle arrived!...

Jus' Sayin'!
wink.gif

But good on ya for using MacLeans in Freddy! They Rock!
BTW the tire change mechanic threw in a bonus. He removed an earbud tip from my left ear with a hemostat after offering to blow it out from the other side with compressed air. Merrytimers are fun lot.

I also arrived home safely yesterday night after my diversion to Russell Fleming's North-South gathering in Maryland. Some other local FJRForum members showed up for that.

A big thanks too MEM for organizing an excellent rally.

All-in-all, I had a great 9 day adventure putting in 3500 miles.

I'm laying in my own bed with fresh underwear and a Crown Royal. Life don't get better than that!!!

Don changed his plans at Lake Placid and decided to head directly to the Valley of the Blast Furnace. Ontario has paid their heating bill and it was a toasty 27oC (81oF). I didn't get enough sleep over the last little while so rather than take my usual play routes I pulled a 'Bud the Spud' and was 'the sonofagun ripping the tar off the 401'.

I offer the following reference material for our American friends who may not understand the significance of the above.

I'll post up some photos later. This pillow is sooooo soft... :lazy2:

Photos from the Trip Home

No photos from Day 1 back west after riding the Cabot Trail due to dampness. Seth & I found a nice mom & pop motel to stay the night in Lincoln, Maine. We found Don some even nicer accommodation...

DSC0001-L.jpg

Don was the only one who qualified to stay here...

dons-motel-L.jpg

Before picking Don up from the home I took a photo from the town square overlooking the lake...

DSC0003-L.jpg

We mostly followed Hwy 16 across the middle of Maine. I took this photo from a small park when we stopped for a bio-break...

DSC0005-L.jpg

It was time for lunch when we stopped in Rangeley for fuel...

DSC0008-L.jpg

I think Niehart would agree...

DSC0009-L.jpg

We then ran Hwy 26 across the top of New Hampshire and worked our way over to the top end of VT 100. The skies were definitely darkening and I could see the rain ahead so we stopped to put on the rain gear. The was some rain along Vt 100 but it let up when we turned onto VT 17 at Mad River Glen. This is a fun road!!!

The view from the top...

DSC0010-L.jpg

I got a shot of Seth wondering why I'm not leading...

DSC0012-L.jpg

Once we made it to the valley floor the 'lake-effect' rains gave us a solid soaking almost all the way to the Essex ferry. We dropped off Seth with his mom & aunt and continued on to Lake Placid for the night.

This was the route we took...

route-L.jpg

DAY 3

I think every American knows about the 'Miracle on Ice' during the Lake Placid Winter Games...

DSC0001-L.jpg

When you come into Lake Placid from the south this site gives you a fairly good idea Lake Placid is not just another sleepy Upstate New York town...

DSC0101-L.jpg

Those are the towers for the 90 & 70 meter ski jumps if your wondering. Here is the view of the ski jumps from the bottom...

DSC0004-L.jpg

DSC0005-L.jpg

I then spent some time watching a European team working on their aerials...

On your mark...

DSC0079-L.jpg

Get ready...

DSC0081-L.jpg

GO!!!!!

Aerial Slideshow

I ran some fun roads north to the border but I was getting tired and I just slabbed it home.

Total trip was just a touch over 4000 miles...

DSC0102-L.jpg

Note the temperature. It certainly was not that warm on the Cabot Trail!!