The Offical Apres CFR Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
It was sidestands up at 09:00 in Freddy Beach as we said goodby to the headquarters for CFR. We won't bother you with the first 2 hours since we slabbed it up to Moncton and then over to Amherst. We then got off the slab once we crossed over into Nova Scotia and turned onto the Sunrise Trail. Lunch was in Tatamagouche. Our Rally Mistress decided to come out and play on the Trail. Here she is with Scott and the ever helpful Greg...

DSC0006-L.jpg

Once the bodies & bikes ere refueled it was time to continue on to New Glasgow and then onto the 'Mini Cabot'...

DSC0007-L.jpg

DSC0011-L.jpg

DSC0013-L.jpg

We made another stop just above Ballantynes Cove for a photo op...

DSC0014-L.jpg

We then stopped at the Irving's Service Center for coffee and pie before heading over the Causeway. I mentioned to Scott that I still wanted to play and was going over to Marble Mountain instead of just rolling up the Trans-Canada. Scott was all to happy to oblige and we blasted off for a spirited ride on the back roads of Cape Breton. We took time to stop at the Marble Mountain lookout for a photo op...

DSC0018-L.jpg

DSC0019-L.jpg

DSC0022-L.jpg

After a while we ran out of pavement but Scott knew the way and got us back onto pavement in short order and got us back onto pavement and safely into Baddeck, he destination for the day.

Fred W and his group had left an hour earlier being Bruin fans and all and decided to go for the full off-road experience. At on point Fred had gotten completely off the beaten track due to the GPS route I had given him. Rotten Bruins fan, let the black flies have him I say.

Fred had gotten way off track and was turning around on a dirt road. John & Jane had the misfortune of having Fred as a guide and had just come to a stop on the side of the dirt road. There was a steep embankment off to the side and when Fred went to put his foot down the side of the road has very soft from all the previous rain and the bike toppled over. John went tumbling down the embankment but Ian was able to save Jane from the same fate. The FJR almost went over the edge with its tires pointed up in the air like a dead horse. One of the witnesses later commented that it was the first time he had ever seen the bottom of a FJR. Everyone rushed over just as John was scrambling back up the side.

Everyone grabbed onto the bike and got it righted immediately. To everyone's astonishment the bike was completely unscathed from such rude treatment. Once everyone realized that no one was hurt and the bike was undamaged there was much laughter and photos taken of the Fred W Dual Sport Team.

With everyone safely in Baddeck it was time for a late dinner and drinks before resting up for the Cabot Trail.

More to come...

Last edited by a moderator:
I will post up to fill in the rest of the story later, when we get back home, but let me make the official announcement that Jack (bbdig) and good pillion Jane (Mrs 'dig), have hereby and forthwith been duly elected as the Captains of the Aprez-CFR 2011 FJR Dual Sport team.

Team picture:

(from left: Ian (shakin), Captain and Mrs dig, the Magnificent Josie (my pillion), Greg (Geezeraide), Pawl (thingfish).

009G.jpg

We'll be heading out through the drizzle shortly for the trek south and west. But, no complaints from me here :nono: .

The weather, scenery, and most importantly the company, has been magnificent!! :yahoo:

The Cabot Trail Ride

Close Encounters of the Moose Kind

We were up early and there was some low clouds over the lake and the air was 'crisp' as we say in the Great White North. No frost but certainly not June weather. Before we left Inverary Resort in Baddeck I went down to the restaurant to take a few photos where we had partied the night before...

DSC0027-L.jpg

DSC0029-L.jpg

It was time to ride. Fred and the Yankee hoard had left earlier so it was the more relaxed Canucks and Charlie along with Don & Seth that had the 09:00 departure. The fun starts as you turn off the Trans-Canada at St Ann's for the first set of turns to warm you up for what is to come after the turn near the Englishtown ferry. None of our group had breakfast yet so Mary Ellen turned into a small cafe for the first stop of the day. Unfortunately Ann Marie pulled onto the gravel and grabbed a little to much front brake and toppled her FZ1. There was a little bit of cosmetic damage including breaking off the right front turn signal...

DSC0031-L.jpg

She was understandably upset so we patched up the turn signal using the handyman's secret weapon, duct tape and took a long breakfast break before continuing.

We turned into the first overlook on the north shore and watched the trawlers hauling in the catch of the day...

DSC0032-L.jpg

We then had a very fun run up and down Smokey Mountain and then turned at Neil's Harbour. We turned off the Cabot Trail and went down into town to ride by the small lighthouse and follow the coastline. As we turned back towards the Cabot we had this view of one of the bays...

DSC0035-L.jpg

Scott and his group had just finished the optional run into Meat Cove and advised our group not to try it due to some technical gravel riding. Scott told me the view at Meat Cove was fantastic and I am really looking forward to his post. Meat Cove was on my 'To Do' list but circumstances dictated otherwise plus it gives me a great reason to come back to Cape Briton.

It was then time for North Mountain and an excellent opportunity to unpack the Nikon. Here is Charlie winding his way up the mountain...

DSC0047-L.jpg

Our Rally Mistress MEM in silhouette...

DSC0062-L.jpg

When we stopped at Pleasant Bay for lunch, Scott pointed out to Jeff that maybe Jeff had used up the rear tire on the rented AE...

DSC0085-L.jpg

We put Jeff's pillon, Rosanne on the back of Kevin's bike and called down to Truro to the Bikers' B&B to trailer up another bike for Jeff. Jeff decided to ride down the 19 to meet up with Mike as the rest of us decided another photo op was required in the switchbacks climbing out of Pleasant Bay. I really like this photo of Scott at play...

DSC0087-L.jpg

Kevin and Rosanne also gave a good accounting of themselves...

DSC0098-L.jpg

I was almost the last one to leave the lookout and was chasing down Kevin and MEM when we reached the Highlands. I was running WAY faster than the suggested speeds and had just got onto MEM's tail when I saw a moose hoof step out onto the road immediately in front of MEM. I threw out the anchor on my FJR and watched as the cow get startled and try to stop. The cow lost its footing and fell onto its side just as MEM squeaked by. MEM might not have had time to be scared but the moose definitely had the crap scard out of it judging by the pile of moose muffins left in the middle of the road. I was still trying to haul my bike down and had time to dodge the moose but it was touch and go for a split second as to which way the cow was going to go after she got back up and all four. Fortunately the cow doubled back but it certainly had my heart rate hitting the rev limiter.

We stopped at the lookout before dropping off the highlands and following the coastline into Chiticamp...

DSC0100-L.jpg

No smart moose would cross our MEM...

DSC0104-L.jpg

Once we fueled up the bikes it it on to the Glenora Distillery for a quick stop at the Gift Shop...

DSC0105-L.jpg

We told Jeff that if he was going to be that hard on that poor AE he would have to walk back to Calgary...

DSC0107-L.jpg

It was getting time to head for Pictou given that Scott and Charlie were starting to get 'frisky' and needed a room...

DSC0110-L.jpg

From the distillery it was a short ride along the coast and then slab to Pictou. We finished the Apres CFR ride with a great dinner in Picou at the Braeside Inn and the next morning everyone said their goodbyes and headed for home.

I want to say a very special thanks to our host and Rally Mistress MEM for all the hard work to pull this event together. Also thanks to those who came out to CFR and the Cabot Trail. I hope everyone has as many fond memories as I along with the old and new friends that made this such a fun event.

Thank You.

Bill - yamafitter

As promised (or was that a threat?) in the words of the late, great Paul Harvey, here then is "the rest of the story".

Aprez CFR Day #1 - The Ride to Cape Breton

Before the CFR Rally dinner, yamafitter (Bill) asked if I would be willing to lead a group of the Aprez CFR gang over to the start of the Cabot Trail and the hotel we were to stay at in Baddeck. Sure, says I. I can follow a GPS with the best of 'em. So I downloaded Bills GPS route files to a memory stick and got them onto my zumo for the following day. Being an early bird, I offered to lead the first group out starting at ~ 8AM. The folks that decided to follow me were most of the same folks who traveled in to the rally from bbdig's place from Rangeley. It was Joann and I, and Mr and Mrs bbdig as the two ups, and Shakin, Geezer and thingfish were the one ups.

As recommended, we slabbed uneventfully it over to New Scotland on the 2. Just before we changed provinces we spotted another FJR rider rolling down off one of the entrance ramps onto the highway.

440.jpg

As we rolled into the Nova Scotia welcome center he followed us in to see what this big gang of FJRs was up to. He was a nice local gent, not an active forum member from what I could gather, but had heard about the rally in Fredericton. He was very excited to meet some other folks with good taste in bikes.

From there we rode the sunrise trail along the north coast of the island followed by the extension of the Sunrise Trail known as the Mini Cabot. Beautiful views were around almost every corner...

444.jpg

450.jpg

467.jpg

481.jpg

492.jpg

493.jpg

494.jpg

100_1921.jpg

Some interesting boat names here, eh?

100_1918.jpg

100_1922.jpg

100_1919.jpg

496.jpg

497.jpg

Then we were back on the slab to roll over the causeway to the island of Cape Breton.

503.jpg

505.jpg

507.jpg

509.jpg

514.jpg

Once we were on the Cape we rode to the south and east to get onto some scenic roads along the Bras D'or Lake. Not sure if yamafitter was playing with me, as my reputation is that I never lead a ride without at least a few miles of dirt road fun, but somehow we got off into about 30 kliks worth of the unpaved stuff. Great fun as far as I'm concerned, though some of the followers were whining about the dust. Something about me roosting them in the loose gravel. :rolleyes: But we got to see some scenery that most folks wouldn't have, which was well worth the price of admission.

518.jpg

519.jpg

520.jpg

521.jpg

522.jpg

523.jpg

At one point, Karen (my Aussie Garmin GPS voice) told me "stay left on Orangevale Road", but when I did stay left at the fork I noticed that I had strayed from the pink line of the route on the GPS. It was then that I stopped and signaled to the rest of the group to make a U turn so we could get back on track. As I was executing mine, I looked up to see bbdig (Jack) and his Mrs. (Jane) tumbling over off the right side of the raised roadbed. All I could see was feet and tires up in the air, exactly where they shouldn't be!

Naturally Our first concern was for the 'digs safety, but they both landed in some soft weeds and bushes in the low ditch alongside the road, and bounced right out like a couple of teenagers.

The bike itself actually hung up on the dirt edge of the road and didn't slide down into the ditch after them. Before any one had a chance to think about it the bike was righted and checked out before anyone had a chance to snap a picture. Josie said that she had her camera in hand and thought about it, but thought it would be too mean spirited to get them in an awkward moment.

Amazingly, we could not find a scratch on it. Apparently Jack had stopped to await his turn at making a U and when he put his right foot down the road wasn't there. As someone commented later on, none of us had ever seen the underside of an FJR from quite that angle before, and it wasn't pretty. But since thgere is not photographic evidence, it is all just hearsay. It never happened.

A few km's down the trail we stopped and grabbed the team picture posted earlier:

100_1925.jpg

From there it was a quick (if not cheap) ferry ride across the narrows and a few miles to Baddeck and the destination for the evening, the Inverary Resort.

529.jpg

...and the destination for the evening, the Inverary Resort.

530.jpg

Aprez CFR Day #2 - 'Round the Cabot Trail

In the morning, the dual sport team (also all the early birds) unanimously decided that rather than wait for the late risers we should just head out and find a good breakfast spot somewhere up the trail. So a little after 8AM we headed out with team Captain 'dig leading the way sans GPS. He had ridden the trail before and was just going to wing it. It was a bit chilly and gloomy / overcast, but the roads were dry and the weather forcast was for brightening skies during the day.

100_1933.jpg

100_1943.jpg

100_1944.jpg

100_1961.jpg

100_1962.jpg

100_1965.jpg

100_1969.jpg

100_1981.jpg

About an hour and a half out we found a wonderful little cafe Breakfast spot along the trail in Victoria. After breakfast, we continued on up the trail. Shortly, we came past the rest of the Aprez gang just mounting up after taking a break in a turnout. They soon fell in behind us and we were one long chain of riders for a short stretch. When we came to a fork in the road at Neil's Harbor, Jack was signalling to take the left turn to stay on the trail, while Bill's GPS routes said to go right and into the scenic harbor. I beeped my horn as I made the right turn and Jack stopped, then fell in at the back of the long line.

Shortly after rejoining the Cabot Trail we blew right past the entrance to the Meat Cove option, and then when I looked back I only saw three sets of headlights. Apparently the rest of the riders had made the Meat Cove turn that I missed, and so Captain Jack was in for a little more dual sportin' dirt action!! Hey, that's why he's the captain!! ;)

The skies lightened up, the air and road got warmer, and the turns got sharper and funner!! Time to wear the sides off those PR2's!!

100_1990.jpg

100_1991.jpg

The abbreviated captain-less Dual Sport team stopped at a high lookout for a rest break

100_1992z.jpg

100_1993z.jpg

100_1994z.jpg

Yup, more lupins up here too...

100_1989.jpg

Continuing down the trail, these roads were smooth and open, with no traffic, and lots of high fun factor.

531.jpg

535.jpg

540.jpg

This one is the money shot. Look at that ribbon of road...

541.jpg

546.jpg

553.jpg

We stopped at a family restaurant in Cheticamp that Ian knew of that overlooked a small inlet of the Gulf of St Lawrence. We ate our lunch out on the sun drenched deck, admiring the water view (and the view of my B4!) while a full coach bus load of Quebeci blue haired tourists ate in the stuffy dining room.

561.jpg

And then on up the road to Pictou

564.jpg

570.jpg

With that view? Hells yeah, I'll buy it!!

572.jpg

579.jpg

595.jpg

Some stinky ass cormorants nesting on the pilings along the road to Pictou.

598.jpg

The view from our 2nd story window at the Braeside Inn

601.jpg

The proprietors were rather prim and proper, and wouldn't allow us to drink or have any adult bevs outside of our rooms. So, instead we had ourselves a delicious and entertaining dinner that night in the Inn's dining room.

Saturday morning we arose to gloom and drizzle. We slabbed it back towards home in a light mist all the way to the border. Then, immediately upon clearing customs the skies opened up and we got to ride all the way down the airline road to Brewer in a deluge. The cameras were all kept safely hidden in the top bag, until we got to the famous Eagle's Nest Restaurant.

Yeah Baby!! Now that's a big freekin' lobstah roll!!

603.jpg

Sunday AM Josie and I took a leisurely ride down through Maine into NH and then on home. In retrospect, it was a great trip from beginning to end. The only time we got any real rain was From Calais to Brewer and we were planning on bee lining that part down Rte 9 anyway. The rides both in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia were superb. Well, except you Canucks should get the highway department to fill in a few more of those pot holes. But the Maritime scenery more than makes up for a few bumps.

But the best part of the CFR is the people that came. You guys all rock!

In terms of statistics: we rode 2623 miles in an elapsed time of 7 days 4 hours and 18 minutes according to Garmin, but with never a boring stretch, according to me. ;)

Thanks especially to Mary Ellen and Bill and the whole support crew.

Looking forward to returning someday to do some more Maritime Province exploring. Maybe even hit the Gaspe? Hell ya. Why not? :yahoo:

The Eagle's Nest Restaurant was previously mentioned so I had it saved in my GPS. I timed it well for lunch on my way down to Maryland on Thursday. I couldn't believe the amount of lobster for the price. It was great. Thanks for the recommendations!

OK, somebody is holding out on us.

Where's the Beef Meat Cove Photos??

I had my heart set on going to Meat Cove and would have got my own shots but alas circumstances precluded me from making the side trip. Well on the bright side I now have a good reason to go back and ride the Cabot Trail again. I'll get it right yet.

I know at least some of Scott's group made the trip to Meat Cove but since Scott rides faster than the speed of light it was not possible for the photons to overcome the event horizon and make it all the way to the camera sensor.

I'm really hoping someone will post up since the weather was just about perfect and the views would have been awesome.

Don't listem to MEM, she's still high from cigars............ :p

CCW is the best way to do the Cabot Trail.

Canadian FJR
OK, let's run it again and discuss it over seegars :smokin:

ps - come and get those Cohibas. I've switched to Fred W's Montecristos :p

I have some pictures of Meat Cove , but being the NECC haven't managed to get them from the camera to the computer yet.

That being said I have NEVER posted a picture to the forum.

I did the Cabot Trail clockwise a few years ago and my most vivid memory is of a downhill set of turns with an awesome view into a deep valley, which gave me an unsettling tingle at the time.We also had the joy of riding the first half in the rain.

It really is a spectacular ride either way. We were told by a former member of the Canadian racing team that clockwise was the way to do it, others say CCW so the solution would be to do it both ways twice and start a poll.

The whole week was great, :yahoo: and THANKS AGAIN to MEM ;) and her helpers for putting it all together. :)