A Great Loss

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars
Staff member
Reaction score
Posted in the IBR 2011 "Insider's View" thread was this:

Tragedy at the Utah 1088
I am stunned to report that we have lost my good friend Ken Morton last night.

I believe he was returning from the Cheektowaga Checkpoint and was on I-80 in Nebraska, when reports indicate he hydroplaned on standing water, and hit a guardrail, killing him instantly.

Thoughts and prayers to his wife Lisa, please.

I shall light a candle for my Brother tonight.

Mother fucker.....
Ken will be missed by many and the shock is still hitting everyone hard. Please post your messages here. If deemed appropriate, perhaps the thread can be forwarded to his wife Lisa later.

For those who've already posted to the "Insider View" thread, please consider moving your posts here and removing them from the other thread out of consideration for those in the other rally. A copy-and-paste of your existing post with a delete from the "Insider View" thread would go a long way toward consolidating our thoughts to Ken's friends and family. If you have questions or need help, feel free to contact an admin.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sad..... Condolences to his wife, Lisa and family. I didn't know him, but I'm guessing if the Big Guy is calling him home early, then he was one heck of a guy.

Wow, I hate hearing this kind of news, prayers going out to his family

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:07 PM

View PostWarchild, on 26 June 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:Tragedy at the Utah 1088

I believe he was returning from the Cheektowaga Checkpoint and was on I-80 in Nebraska, when reports indicate he hydroplaned on standing water, and hit a guardrail, killing him instantly.

Thoughts and prayers to his wife Lisa, please.

I shall light a candle for my Brother tonight.

Mother fucker.....
There just aren't the words.

Simply add mine, and Mrs Twigg's, condolences to the many that will be forthcoming.

From the heart:

Not Motorcyle related. All I can offer.

I Must Go Down to the Sea

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,

And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,

And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,

And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide

Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;

And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,

To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;

And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,

And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

Condolences, thoughts, and prayers to family and friends. I wish I had the words... :(

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit, what a ride!"

I hope that's what Ken is saying now... and that all who knew him, and miss him now, will find a way to peace in the memories of him in their hearts.

Tragedy at the Utah 1088

Speechless and numb is how I've been since hearing this early this morning. As Ken and Lisa live a mere five miles from our place we see each other frequently and Ken and I have spent many miles on the highway together, including a return trip from St. Louis four years ago after his 2nd IBR finish. We shared a room in Seattle last weekend at the IBR start and pondered his routing plans for the 1088, and then rode home in what has now become our last ride together. His 1088 ride was going so well, and it sure as hell wasn't supposed to end like this.

Keep Lisa, and Ken's son Sam, and Ken's extended family in your thoughts and prayers. Godspeed my moto-friend. :bye2:

Here's a photo of Ken I snapped on our way home from the 2008

Utah 1088 rally. I chased his ass all over Utah that weekend.

KeninNV.jpg

I was thinking about Ken this evening. Dale too.

Hang in there, Dale.

I was thinking that it's not really accurate to say Ken Morton died. I mean, here are all of us, sitting in front of a computer screen, and Ken was the one out there actually riding the IBR, putting it all out there on the line.

No, I think its more accurate to say Ken lived. I mean, really lived. I'll think about that the next time I have the opportunity to take on a serious adventure or challenge. People like Ken inspire each of us to get out and live.

I hope his family and friends find peace.

To Ken's family members: I'm another who didn't know--never met--your husband, son, or dad, and I know there is nothing I can say--or anyone can say--that will make you feel better. I just want to re-emphasize the heartfelt support and compassion that his fellow riders are sending your way, and the only way I can do that is to add my name to those just trying to post a little show of support for you. All of our thoughts are with you.

This sucks.

I was in Nebraska Friday and Saturday and the storms Friday night were torrential. I-80 is bad for not having the right crown on the road, so pooling of water happens easy.

Damn it.

Godspeed Ken.

SacramentoMike put it about as well as can be put how we feel as well.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ken's family and friends.

Godspeed Ken

Don Dingbaum and family

While i didnt know Ken this is really sad news, I do have friends who knew him from past rallies, really sad loss.

If there is any news of any donation's or service's in the next few days please post them or PM me I need to help in some way if possible.

so sad...... godspeed ken.....

Very sad news. Godspeed and prayers sent for his wife, son, family and friends in this dark time of loss.

To Ken's family members: I'm another who didn't know--never met--your husband, son, or dad, and I know there is nothing I can say--or anyone can say--that will make you feel better. I just want to re-emphasize the heartfelt support and compassion that his fellow riders are sending your way, and the only way I can do that is to add my name to those just trying to post a little show of support for you. All of our thoughts are with you.

Thank you for saying what I am feeling.

Bob

My prayers and thoughts too. I can't say it better than Mike has. If I have a choice in how I one day leave this life, it would be doing something I love and am passionate about, which is how I reflect on Ken; but my heart aches deeply for those left behind.

David.

I never had the chance to meet him in person. I was looking forward to meeting him. I guess I will have to wait, until then I ride with his spirit and advice he gave me through the e mails and posts. I will pray for your spirit Ken, until then I hope to ride with you some day on the other side. My tears fall for Ken.

Phillip