FJRF009.2: "Intermittent Ground Wire Connection"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, after reading the "Remedy" .pdf posted, it appears that Yamaha is doing a mini Brodie harness for just the S-4 connector. What a half-@ssed solution to a major grounding issue. When I installed Brodie's harness, I found the spider near the front left turn signal showing signs of corrosion. Chalk up Yamaha's solution as a cost-effective band-aid approach appearing to solve the problem - unbelievable! :angry2:

(Whomever) If you're going to give me a negative rep on my post, at least offer comment for the sake of understanding your position...
There, evened it out for ya. ;)

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If it is indeed a band-aid type fix and not a true repair and people continue to have problems after the recall work has been performed on their bike, there will be some serious negative goodwill Yamaha will have earned for what is not a very expensive problem to fix thoroughly.
Thanks... Like the sign said, I've stopped digging.

My FJR has lasted this long...I think I can wait just a few more weeks until Yamaha figures out what is going on, can get everything it needs, and that I know others have had a good experience with the process.

If my FJR breaks in the meantime, it breaks. Now I know that if it does, Yamaha has accepted there is a problem and will work to make it right.

Thanks to those who are getting good information and passing it along when you can.

Someone please explain again why 2010 and 2011 models are not being fixed with this recall... Am I missing something don't they still have the same wiring harness??? I think I am about to be in the market for one of these models (10 or 11) and would like the ground harness to be fixed when I buy it...

It appears I may be one of the first ( maybe the first ? ) to have the "Fix" installed on my bike. It's scheduled to arrive next Tuesday at my dealer.

My AE is in the shop and apart for the recalls the previous owner neglegted to do, the Ae also has the "stuck in first gear shift" issue and it also won't start or crank, so Cypress said they are expediting the new " recall part " ahead of schedule to try to resolve the issues.

My spiders are all in fine shape with Brodie's harness just installed, so I'm not sure how the new part will resolve anything, but I'll keep you guys updated. I also asked the tech to call me when the part arrives and I'll try to take some pics etc and post up the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone please explain again why 2010 and 2011 models are not being fixed with this recall... Am I missing something don't they still have the same wiring harness??? I think I am about to be in the market for one of these models (10 or 11) and would like the ground harness to be fixed when I buy it...
Well, nobody knows for sure, but it seems to me that Yamaha recognized the issue earlier on and changed something in the wiring harness that will stop the ground spyder probelem. And that new harness is installed on the 2010/2011 FJRs. If I were in the market for a 10 or 11 FJR I would NOT being worrying about it.

Ride more, stress less.

It appears I may be one of the first ( maybe the first ? ) to have the "Fix" installed on my bike. It's scheduled to arrive next Tuesday at my dealer.

My AE is in the shop and apart for the recalls the previous owner neglegted to do, the Ae also has the "stuck in first gear shift" issue and it also won't start or crank, so Cypress said they are expediting the new " recall part " ahead of schedule to try to resolve the issues.

My spiders are all in fine shape with Brodie's harness just installed, so I'm not sure how the new part will resolve anything, but I'll keep you guys updated. I also asked the tech to call me when the part arrives and I'll try to take some pics etc and post up the info.
Gen II - when reliability just doesn't matter. :glare:

Sorry to hear of your woes, and will be looking forward to whatever info you can provide.

Good Luck Highlander! I'm all ears on how it works out for you. :clapping: I definately don't want to be the first on this one. :unsure:

The West Palm Beach Yamaha dealer doesn't have a good track record on doing the first of anything. Good thing is, there are plenty of FJR's in the area.

I'll wait for them to get a couple under their belts before I take mine in. Bad thing is, this morning I was definately in first gear and the dash screen

display said I was in Neutral! It corrected itself after I tried it again but, That made Very Very Nervous! :huh:

Patience? Hard to be patient when you've been recently bitten, yet you wanna ride...... I have a bike that I love but Yammy says don't ride till we fix it.... SO FIX IT!!!
I have no intention of parking my FJR while I await the recall fix, especially since I have not received the official letter from Yamaha telling me to stop riding my bike. Just because we are privy to early information on this forum, doesn't mean we need to act on information that we haven't officially been informed of. ;)

I have no intention of parking my FJR while I await the recall fix, especially since I have not received the official letter from Yamaha telling me to stop riding my bike. Just because we are privy to early information on this forum, doesn't mean we need to act on information that we haven't officially been informed of. ;)
I Agree! I'm not going to stop riding. I have a AAA policy with a motorcyle endorsement! I'll just be very conscious of my proximity to an emergency escape route. :rolleyes:

My dealer in Waco, TX just called and scheduled me in next Tuesday. :clapping:

apart for the recalls the previous owner neglegted to do
this is the very thing i think of when i read someone post that they aren't doing scheduled maintenance or skipping recalls because they've not yet had a failure. :eek:

Patience? Hard to be patient when you've been recently bitten, yet you wanna ride...... I have a bike that I love but Yammy says don't ride till we fix it.... SO FIX IT!!!

I would agree and would have felt the very same as you, had I not been bitten two or three weeks ago. Now I KNOW there is a degraded grounding circuit in my '06AE. I have ridden a bit (short trips to the store), but have stopped commuting to work on the FJR for now.....

Hmmm, so they say to check the harness 1st, then if it shows signs of damage to replace it and not add the extra ground circuit, but if it's not damaged, to add the additional ground circuit. Wonder what they did to the new harnesses to negate the chance of spider bites?

No, the instructions say to check the harness and, if not damaged, add the new additional harness. If the original harness IS damaged, it says replace it AND ADD the new additional harness as well.

Thanks for posting up the recall info Tony! Mucho appreciated.

Now the wait begins. I'm just hoping they don't balk at my repair to the burnt out S4 connector (snipped off burnt connector, soldered exposed wires to heavier gauge wires and grounded back to battery.)

Any news? What did the dealer do/say about the Brodie harness? I've got the same bike and Brodie harness as you do

No, the instructions say to check the harness and, if not damaged, add the new additional harness. If the original harness IS damaged, it says replace it AND ADD the new additional harness as well.
That's not the way I read it.

Look on the second page of the instructions, right after "Dealer Action Summary". Find it HERE.

That's not the way I read it.

Look on the second page of the instructions, right after "Dealer Action Summary". Find it HERE.
Ummmm, read the 'Parts' section: "order a wire sub-lead for each affected unit, UNLESS the harness is being replaced due to damage....It is NOT necessary to install the wire sub lead on a replacement harness".