FJRF009.2: "Intermittent Ground Wire Connection"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotecredneck

Reaction score
ADMIN NOTE: For clarity the first post may be edited as information is learned.

Recall Acknowledgement - https://www-odi.nhtsa...11V338-9796.pdf

Defect Notice(Part 573)- https://www-odi.nhtsa...11V338-7319.pdf

Remedy Instructions and TSB (including affected VINs) - https://www-odi.nhtsa...11V338-2736.pdf

----------------------------------

This is what I have. I have not copied the entire bulletin due to copyright issues, but we now have part numbers for the sub-harness and also new wire harnesses for the years affected.........

a Motor Corporation, U.S.A. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2006~2009 FJR1300A/AC/AE/AEC model motorcycles. On affected motorcycles, the ground joint connector of the wire harness could overheat and become deformed, possibly causing an intermittent

ground wire connection. If the electrical system is not properly grounded, the ignition system and/or other electrical components could malfunction, which could cause the engine to stall. If this happens while the motorcycle is being ridden, there could be a crash resulting in injury or death.

To correct this defect, Yamaha is initiating a Factory Modification Campaign. Affected motorcycles must have an additional wire sub-lead installed or, if the ground joint connector has already been damaged from overheating, have the main wire harness replaced.

Yamaha is notifying all registered owners of affected motorcycles by mail. A copy of this letter is included in this bulletin. The customer should take the letter along with the affected motorcycle to an authorized Yamaha dealer for the modification.

A computer report listing all affected motorcycles invoiced to your dealership is included with this bulletin. Use the list to help ensure all motorcycles are modified. All sold motorcycles that have been registered with Yamaha will show the customer's name and address. Your dealership must notify the owner of any affected motorcycle that was actually sold but is listed as "unsold" in the report.

You must modify all affected motorcycles in your inventory as well as all customer-owned motorcycles brought to you for this service. Any affected motorcycle that you purchase from Yamaha in the future will also require modification. If you purchase a motorcycle from another dealer, check to see if the procedures in this bulletin have already been performed before you sell the motorcycle.

Motorcycles that are affected should not be operated until they are modified. It is a violation of Yamaha policy for your dealership to deliver any affected motorcycles to customers until the procedures in this bulletin are performed.

SAFETY

RECALL

This modification has top priority. This bulletin must be

performed immediately to ensure customer safety.

NOTE: Bulletins that announce a recall will have an "R" at the end of the bulletin number.

PAGE 2 of 14

Unsold

Units: Install the additional wire sub-lead during PDI service.

Sold

Units: Inspect the ground joint connector. If undamaged, install the additional wire sub-lead. If damaged,

replace the wire harness. Check first to be sure the modification has not already been performed (see Identification Procedure section in this bulletin).

Parts: Yes, order a wire sub-lead for each affected unit, unless the wire harness is being replaced due to damage. If you need a wire harness, contact your RTA before ordering. It is not necessary to install the wire sub-lead on a replacement wire harness. See the Parts Information section for details.

Warranty: Factory Modification Campaign. See the Warranty Information section of this bulletin. This modification

applies to all affected units regardless of ownership or warranty status.

Notify

Customers: Yes. You must immediately contact any customer whose motorcycle shows as unregistered on the enclosed report. Yamaha has sent letters to customers whose motorcycles were registered with state departments of motor vehicles as of X/X/XX, as well as any motorcycles registered for warranty after X/X/XX up to and including X/X/XX.

I have the entire .pdf bulletin, but it is protected by copyright so I have only copied the information that is of actual importance.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger! :D

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the entire .pdf bulletin, but it is protected by copyright so I have only copied the information that is of actual importance.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger! :D

Tony
That's a rub we do our best to honor here. However, if for some reason we hear dealers playing any shenanigans like some did on the ignition switch recall....we just risk it and post it.

We'll assume what you have copied falls under the fair use doctrine or other copyright exception. ;)

Thanks for the details Tony. Thread pinned and others adjusted accordingly.

Thanks particularly for ionbeam for some behind-the-scenes non-caustic stuff he did to actually help things along. :clapping:

Thanks here to Tony for posting and all others who participated in getting things out in the open. It says that if you have purchased bike aftermarket, and registered it with DMV, then we can just take it to a dealer. That's a good thing. Ordering parts, ouch on time.

Also it reads that everyone should cease riding until issue is fixed??

Wonder if the replacement harness and sub-harness are the same as the OEM? And is the "wire sub-lead" mimicking the roadrunner / Brodie fix, making a better path to ground?

Both of my harnesses were replaced with OEM harnesses, and the roadrunner fix installed at the same time. I still think I am going to ignore this recall.

I received my 'Motorcycle Safety Recall' from Yamaha Motor (UK) Limited this morning. They say they plan to "add a sub-lead to the earth circuit".

I have been in touch with the local dealer who can only order the parts when he has actually been contacted by an owner.

I spoke to the Chief mechanic (really good guy) and he tells me they have only been allowed 1 1/2 hours to do the job. He has actually asked me to bring the bike in for a day so he can figure out the best way to do it.

It will be interesting to see how this goes. I already have Art Cooper's harnesses installed and they will be staying. If it comes to a choice between Yamaha & Art then it's a no contest for me.

Don

Looks like the sub-harness provides a new ground path to the battery for ONLY one spider connection.  But ties in to an existing ground harness connector under the battery, not directly to the battery negative terminal. Obviously, Brodie's (and Roadrunner's?) harness is more robust and a more complete solution. I'll pass on the recall, as I already installed Brodie's harness.

At first I was a bit pissed they did not include 10, and 11's in this. Then I see they are infringing on the two Auxiliary Grounding Harnesses developed by our two resident "Grounders". Not sure which pisses me off most?

I guess putting on Road Runners harness on my bike with 0 miles was a smart thing to do. Now it seems Yamaha thinks so too.

I will not call foul but if you think Yamaha does not read this forum and pays attention to products designed by owners, I got a bridge you might like to buy.

I am happy they recognized the issue, and the "fix" is probably the most economical way to "fix" the issue, however I would like to see them pressed to upgrade the wiring in new FJR's or any bike they make with weak wiring. The FJR can not be the only machine they make this way.

If I get bit then I will let them deal with it, until then I will run the Road Runner fix which I think by the description on the new recall part is about a 1/4 of what one of the ground harnesses available here is, and with that you gonna get a quarters worth of fix and a monkey all over your bike doing god knows what.

If not bitten I would get one of the two harnesses here and call it a day.

My buddy and I are contacting two dealers in the area to see if they will install our two harnesses from Art instead of, or on top of, the Yamaha "fix". I still feel Art or Brodie's fixes are far superior to what Yamaha has agreed to do.

I will keep you posted on what we find out from our respective dealers.

My buddy and I are contacting two dealers in the area to see if they will install our two harnesses from Art instead of, or on top of, the Yamaha "fix". I still feel Art or Brodie's fixes are far superior to what Yamaha has agreed to do.

I will keep you posted on what we find out from our respective dealers.
Good work and I am very curious as to the answer.

I know it is all speculation at this point until someone has one installed under the recall and sees what is actually done. The fans and the lights seem the logical approach. Either flavor of Spider Bite addresses these two areas and I bet in a more robust and engineered way.

I do appreciate your dealer inquiry and look forward to the answer, however your dealer and mine might be on different sides of the ground(pun intended no matter how poor).

I called two dealers. Cycleshack in Conroe, the service guy acknowledged the recall and said they have not received a fix order from Yamaha, nice feller asked me to call back to check. Then I called Houston motorsports Yamaha on 1960, when I asked about recall, they asked for vin#, then said that my bike does not qualify for the recall. This concerned me, so I needed clarity, because I understood it to be all models 06-09. He got a bit testy and just repeated himself. I asked, is my bike affected and I need to fix it myself, or my bike is not affected at all? He became agitated and said that the master page on the computer says my bike is not on the list...got unnecessarily rude, so I politely said thanks.

I called two dealers. Cycleshack in Conroe, the service guy acknowledged the recall and said they have not received a fix order from Yamaha, nice feller asked me to call back to check. Then I called Houston motorsports Yamaha on 1960, when I asked about recall, they asked for vin#, then said that my bike does not qualify for the recall. This concerned me, so I needed clarity, because I understood it to be all models 06-09. He got a bit testy and just repeated himself. I asked, is my bike affected and I need to fix it myself, or my bike is not affected at all? He became agitated and said that the master page on the computer says my bike is not on the list...got unnecessarily rude, so I politely said thanks.
I just got off the phone with my local dealer and while they weren't rude, they did have the same answer for me which is that when they look up my VIN#, this recall does not come up associated with my bike. Seems rather strange, in my opinion. Could it be that Yamaha issued the recall only for certain VINs during those model years?

Ifs. If your FJR is registered with a Yamaha dealer. If your contact information at the dealer is correct. If your FJR is part of the recall. If there has been enough time for the dealer to get his information from Yamaha. If Yamaha has had enough time to get all the affected VINs in their computer. You will then be notified of the recall by Yamaha. In fact, Yamaha expects the only way you will know about the recall is by being notified. I'm pretty sure that Yamaha isn't expecting hundreds of FJR owners (perhaps thousands of owners) to know of this recall and be pro-active and call a dealer before the recall information is fully deployed.

I just got off the phone with my local dealer and while they weren't rude, they did have the same answer for me which is that when they look up my VIN#, this recall does not come up associated with my bike. Seems rather strange, in my opinion. Could it be that Yamaha issued the recall only for certain VINs during those model years?
Called Yamaha this morning and they stated that the dealer network is not completely updated yet to give a couple more days. Called my dealer and they stated they do not yet have the parts yet. They took my number and said they would call me and setup an appointment for the recall when they knew they would be getting them in.

What shenanigans did some dealers try with the switch recall???
Go read for yourself in the appopriate thread. Let's keep this one about the grounding recall. Thx. :)

So we ride at our own risk?
You as an intelligent, responsible, and thoughtful motorcyclist should read the information available and arrive at your own decision. We know you didn't mean to make it sound like a loaded question. ;)