#1 TomInCA

TomInCA

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

2005 ABS: problem just began. With side-stand up, turn on key, and bike queues up, but no ignition unless shifter is moved to neutral. Not kill switch. Bike has not stalled, and runs fine, but must be started in neutral.

I want to get this narrowed down before taking off for a cross-country trip. Ideas?

beestrike.jpg

I ride an FJR. I don't need no stinkin' trailer.

#2 madmike2

madmike2

Shtirrenuppenmeister

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,913 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

Have you tried cleaning the clutch micro switch. Sometimes they get full of grunge. I've read where others sprayed contact cleaner in there and worked the clutch handle (I was going to say vigorously but figured THAT would open a real can of worms!).

That's my first guess.
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#3 wfooshee

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,255 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

I suspect clutch switch as well. Second possibility is starter interlock relay, which reads the clutch, neutral and sidestand switches and allows the starter to run under the correct conditions.
Darksider #18

Are you the reason I'm so far above average?
I'm always right, yet it continues to surprise people! How can that be?

#4 slapnpop

slapnpop

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

Gummy clutch switch wouldn't give these symptoms, but a stuck sidestand switch would. Clean your sidestand switch, and see if the problem goes away.

Upon further consideration, I suppose the clutch switch *could* cause this symptom, but I still think it's sidestand switch. It's in a more likely place to get gunked up, and I've had to clean mine, and one other FJR's.
Things that make you go Vroom

#5 Bustanut joker

Bustanut joker

STFU

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

Are ye getting a neutral light in neutral?
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Los Robustos M/C member #18 Darksider #28

#6 RossKean

RossKean

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

Upon further consideration, I suppose the clutch switch *could* cause this symptom, but I still think it's sidestand switch. It's in a more likely place to get gunked up, and I've had to clean mine, and one other FJR's.

I agree that a gunked up sidestand switch is more likely to happen but wouldn't the engine quit as soon as it was popped into gear? (Same as lowering the sidestand in any gear but neutral)

Ross

100K%2007CLUB.jpg

#7 SkooterG

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,981 posts
  • Bike: 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

This happened to my brand new 2004 FJR early in it's life. A 'gunked up' clutch switch was the problem. It was easy to remove, disassemble, and clean.
IBA #327........................ Darksider #52

FJR#1 - The 'Dirty Ol Whore' - 2004 non-abs - RIP @ 226,400 - Gone, but not forgotton.
FJR#2 - The 'Hula Girl' - 2004 ABS - 143k
FJR#3 - The 'Virgin' - 2004 ABS - 4344 miles, a garage queen - Brundog would be proud!
FJR#4 - The Oregon FJR - 2004 ABS - 65k
FJR#5 - The Bastard POS Gen II - 2009A - 42k

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 CAJW

CAJW

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

Tom, Exact dilemma I had last year outside of Ely, contact cleaner fixed it till I finished my trip, then changed out micro clutch switch, problem cured. Good luck!
JW

05' Gen I, 02' DRZ400SM,04' Beta
IBR #30248
I love Deer. (Dead, preferably barbequed or jerkyfied)
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

#9 slapnpop

slapnpop

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

I agree that a gunked up sidestand switch is more likely to happen but wouldn't the engine quit as soon as it was popped into gear? (Same as lowering the sidestand in any gear but neutral)

Ross

Well obviously you're smarterer than me! :o :D :clapping:

Yeah, what he said.
Things that make you go Vroom

#10 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,255 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:34 PM

Politically incorrect -

but jumper them dumb ass 'protect yourself' shit and be done with it..

(and don't ask to use my bikes/tractors/trucks unless I know you know what you know!)
Walked away Posted ImagePosted Image Is it really crashing if you don't fall down?--
I wouldn't change a fucking thing; I've lived hard, played hard, and I ain't done yet. I've paid some severe penalties along the way, but the rewards have been so much greater; even if for just have participating in the game of life with utmost abandon. It's not who rides the furthest in a day, but rather in a lifetime. CBA member #1, IBA #31845 and very proud of both.
Posted Image

#11 TomInCA

TomInCA

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

Are ye getting a neutral light in neutral?

Got a neutral light.

Have you tried cleaning the clutch micro switch. Sometimes they get full of grunge. I've read where others sprayed contact cleaner in there and worked the clutch handle (I was going to say vigorously but figured THAT would open a real can of worms!).

That's my first guess.

I'll start by cleaning The clutch switch ( assume there is something I gotta pull out of someplace it likes to be). No problem with the can-o-worms. We got Busta on the thread. :unsure:

This happened to my brand new 2004 FJR early in it's life. A 'gunked up' clutch switch was the problem. It was easy to remove, disassemble, and clean.

Got the manual, this can't be as hard to figure out as Fairlainer's Autocom. Will disassemble and clean and check in tomorrow.

Thanks

beestrike.jpg

#12 TomInCA

TomInCA

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

After "manipulating" the clutch switch...success. I have sullied my character, but started my bike. Looks like the 300 mile in the rain got some crud in there.

Now to figger out how to take the thing apart and properly clean it.

beestrike.jpg

#13 McRide

McRide

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:52 AM

Happened to me too.
As I recall it's a sealed unit.
Take the switch off the clutch lever assembly, locate the little plunger and squirt some contact cleaner into it.
Work it a few times.
Radio Shack has the stuff.
I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up later.
IBA #45137

#14 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,275 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:05 AM

Well, you've already found the source of the problem, so that's good as that's the trickiest part. I posted about my experience (but with no supporting picture evidence) a few years back.

The clutch switch (at least on 1st gens) is not a sealed unit, which is why you end up having issues with it. It is a fairly cruse set of sliding contacts that is somewhat open to the elements and apt to get gooked up. But it also means that cleaning it is easy peasy, and smearing it liberally with silicone dielectric grease is easy and effective at increasing the time between cleanings.

That post was from 2008 and I've not had any issues with the cleaned and greased switch since then... ;)

-Fred W        nerd.gif

#15 Bustanut joker

Bustanut joker

STFU

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:44 AM

After "manipulating" the clutch switch...success. I have sullied my character, but started my bike.

Manipulating? Such a cute word!
I used to manipulate my sheep at one time. Now I just shag the beasties!

I suppose my reputation is also sullied :(
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Los Robustos M/C member #18 Darksider #28

#16 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,275 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:55 AM

I suppose my reputation is also sullied :(

:rolleyes:

Impossible!

:lol:

-Fred W        nerd.gif

#17 vabrzn

vabrzn

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:56 AM

As anal as I am about preventive maintenance I haven't checked this switch in 80,000 miles. I sprayed contact cleaner in the two drain holes in the bottom of the switch and a fair amount gunk came out.

Posts like these are really one of the great benefits of this forum. Rather than trying to diagnose a problem on the side of the road somewhere I can make sure it doesn't happen to begin with!
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 TomInCA

TomInCA

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:07 AM

Got a chance to pull off the clutch switch and clean it out. Here is the before and after pics. For anyone needing to do this, we're talking about a 10 minute easy maintenance that requires the removal of one-phillips screw, disconnect the harness wire, pull apart the switch and clean it up with some contact cleaner and eraser, then lightly coat with dielectric grease.

Posted Image

Posted Image

beestrike.jpg

#19 tmc

tmc

Ginger-Mex Extraordinaire

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

Good shit Tom. I've had this issue on occasion and now I know exactly where to go.

#20 madmike2

madmike2

Shtirrenuppenmeister

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,913 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:42 PM

My favorite type of repair...

Easy AND cheap! :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo:
Kinda like BustanutJoker.....
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.