Only Starts in Neutral

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInPA

Reaction score
2005 ABS: problem just began. With side-stand up, turn on key, and bike queues up, but no ignition unless shifter is moved to neutral. Not kill switch. Bike has not stalled, and runs fine, but must be started in neutral.

I want to get this narrowed down before taking off for a cross-country trip. Ideas?

Have you tried cleaning the clutch micro switch. Sometimes they get full of grunge. I've read where others sprayed contact cleaner in there and worked the clutch handle (I was going to say vigorously but figured THAT would open a real can of worms!).

That's my first guess.

I suspect clutch switch as well. Second possibility is starter interlock relay, which reads the clutch, neutral and sidestand switches and allows the starter to run under the correct conditions.

Gummy clutch switch wouldn't give these symptoms, but a stuck sidestand switch would. Clean your sidestand switch, and see if the problem goes away.

Upon further consideration, I suppose the clutch switch *could* cause this symptom, but I still think it's sidestand switch. It's in a more likely place to get gunked up, and I've had to clean mine, and one other FJR's.

Last edited by a moderator:
slapnpop said:
Upon further consideration, I suppose the clutch switch *could* cause this symptom, but I still think it's sidestand switch. It's in a more likely place to get gunked up, and I've had to clean mine, and one other FJR's.
I agree that a gunked up sidestand switch is more likely to happen but wouldn't the engine quit as soon as it was popped into gear? (Same as lowering the sidestand in any gear but neutral)

Ross

This happened to my brand new 2004 FJR early in it's life. A 'gunked up' clutch switch was the problem. It was easy to remove, disassemble, and clean.

Tom, Exact dilemma I had last year outside of Ely, contact cleaner fixed it till I finished my trip, then changed out micro clutch switch, problem cured. Good luck!

JW

Last edited by a moderator:
slapnpop said:
I agree that a gunked up sidestand switch is more likely to happen but wouldn't the engine quit as soon as it was popped into gear? (Same as lowering the sidestand in any gear but neutral)

Ross
Well obviously you're smarterer than me! :eek: :D :clapping:

Yeah, what he said.

Politically incorrect -

but jumper them dumb ass 'protect yourself' shit and be done with it..

(and don't ask to use my bikes/tractors/trucks unless I know you know what you know!)

Are ye getting a neutral light in neutral?
Got a neutral light.

Have you tried cleaning the clutch micro switch. Sometimes they get full of grunge. I've read where others sprayed contact cleaner in there and worked the clutch handle (I was going to say vigorously but figured THAT would open a real can of worms!).

That's my first guess.
I'll start by cleaning The clutch switch ( assume there is something I gotta pull out of someplace it likes to be). No problem with the can-o-worms. We got Busta on the thread. :unsure:

This happened to my brand new 2004 FJR early in it's life. A 'gunked up' clutch switch was the problem. It was easy to remove, disassemble, and clean.
Got the manual, this can't be as hard to figure out as Fairlainer's Autocom. Will disassemble and clean and check in tomorrow.

Thanks

After "manipulating" the clutch switch...success. I have sullied my character, but started my bike. Looks like the 300 mile in the rain got some crud in there.

Now to figger out how to take the thing apart and properly clean it.

Happened to me too.

As I recall it's a sealed unit.

Take the switch off the clutch lever assembly, locate the little plunger and squirt some contact cleaner into it.

Work it a few times.

Radio Shack has the stuff.

Well, you've already found the source of the problem, so that's good as that's the trickiest part. I posted about my experience (but with no supporting picture evidence) a few years back.

The clutch switch (at least on 1st gens) is not a sealed unit, which is why you end up having issues with it. It is a fairly cruse set of sliding contacts that is somewhat open to the elements and apt to get gooked up. But it also means that cleaning it is easy peasy, and smearing it liberally with silicone dielectric grease is easy and effective at increasing the time between cleanings.

That post was from 2008 and I've not had any issues with the cleaned and greased switch since then... ;)

After "manipulating" the clutch switch...success. I have sullied my character, but started my bike.

Manipulating? Such a cute word!

I used to manipulate my sheep at one time. Now I just shag the beasties!

I suppose my reputation is also sullied :(

As anal as I am about preventive maintenance I haven't checked this switch in 80,000 miles. I sprayed contact cleaner in the two drain holes in the bottom of the switch and a fair amount gunk came out.

Posts like these are really one of the great benefits of this forum. Rather than trying to diagnose a problem on the side of the road somewhere I can make sure it doesn't happen to begin with!

Got a chance to pull off the clutch switch and clean it out. Here is the before and after pics. For anyone needing to do this, we're talking about a 10 minute easy maintenance that requires the removal of one-phillips screw, disconnect the harness wire, pull apart the switch and clean it up with some contact cleaner and eraser, then lightly coat with dielectric grease.

July42011035.jpg

July42011036.jpg

Good shit Tom. I've had this issue on occasion and now I know exactly where to go.