Sleep & Eats in Nelson, BC

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Epperson

Reaction score
Four of us are going to be in Nelson, BC towards the end of the first week in August. Any recommendations on where to stay and eat? We're going to be there 2 nights. We prefer to stay within walking distance of eating so we can have a drink or two. Riding is out if we do that.

TIA,

Roy

If you post the same request over on the Sport-Touring. Net forum in the Canada section you might get a answer.

just a thought....

If you post the same request over on the Sport-Touring. Net forum in the Canada section you might get a answer.

just a thought....

Heck, posting the question there he'll get run over by the Borscht crowd :lol:

just a thought....

Heck, posting the question there he'll get run over by the Borscht crowd :lol:

Now, don't be dissing that borscht! I had some in Grand Forks at the Omega Cafe for lunch a couple of weeks ago and the owner told me it was "World Class". It was pretty damn tasty...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been four years since I've been there. I remember staying at an older hotel in Nelson that had no air conditioning. Place was full of bikes due to some rally... so, why not go up the road to Nakusp, visit the Nakusp Hot Springs, run by the municipality. You can rent one of the cottages (must reserve in advance), sleeps from two to 6 or maybe 8. $89 per night back then. Makes a decent home base for 3 or 4 days riding, and is economical. Camping available by the river too. Nice little ride in to the Hot Springs as well. North side of town, watch for the sign (it is in Mapsource).

There also are a couple of B&B's along Kootenay Lake/Kaslo, but I don't have any specifics, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been four years since I've been there. I remember staying at an older hotel in Nelson that had no air conditioning. Place was full of bikes due to some rally... so, why not go up the road to Nakusp, visit the Nakusp Hot Springs, run by the municipality. You can rent one of the cottages (must reserve in advance), sleeps from two to 6 or maybe 8. $89 per night back then. Makes a decent home base for 3 or 4 days riding, and is economical. Camping available by the river too. Nice little ride in to the Hot Springs as well. North side of town, watch for the sign (it is in Mapsource).

There also are a couple of B&B's along Kootenay Lake/Kaslo, but I don't have any specifics, sorry.

there is a resort in New Denver (right at the end of an amazing twisty chunk of pavement) that caters to bikers. they had a booth at the recent Vancouver bike show....lemme look it up

clicky

and Ralph, I'd NEVER diss borscht. I make a mean pot of it meself. The guy that sorta runs the Canada section over at STN hosts an annual "burger, borscht blah blah blah" ride every year. But ya, Bubba Zanetti over there would be the guy to talk to about that area.

Have stayed here back in ~2007. Was fine. Basic rooms. Felt a bit expensive for what you are getting.

https://www.alpine-motel.com/

I ate dinner here and was a short walk downtown from where I stayed.

https://www.humehotel.com/mikes-place-pub

Was quite good I recall.

Headed outta town the next morning early, about 7 am. Could not find an open coffee shop anywhere.

Good Luck.

Scott

:lol: Thanks for the memories, Roy. The wife (then girlfriend) and I took a 9 day trip through BC. Stayed one Friday night in Nelson at the Lord Nelson Inn. Our room was RIGHT over the bar. The band was pretty damned loud. We didn't get a wink of sleep until well after 2 AM!

Stayed at a pretty nice place on the river just a couple blocks north of downtown. Very easy walk to Baker St, which I think is the main drag. Have had several very good meals in town, one was at an East Indian place on Baker which was excellent and naother was an Italian place a half block off Baker. Also stayed at the Best Western on Baker which was OK.

I really like Nelson and the rest of the Kootenay area for excellent riding and skiing.

...I really like Nelson and the rest of the Kootenay area for excellent riding and skiing.
+1. Whitewater (WH2O) has never failed to disappoint in the winter for some great skiing. The roads in the area for riding are almost impossible to beat for fun factor. Can't wait for CFR / NAFO 2012.

Four of us are going to be in Nelson, BC towards the end of the first week in August. Any recommendations on where to stay and eat? We're going to be there 2 nights. We prefer to stay within walking distance of eating so we can have a drink or two. Riding is out if we do that.

TIA,

Roy

Hey Roy,

When I was in Nelson, I enjoyed my stay at the New Grand Hotel.... https://www.newgrandhotel.ca/

It has a Steakhouse and a sports bar in the building, motorcycle parking out back WITH a complimentary bike wash station. It's walking distance to everything in the downtown part of Nelson.

The rooms are very simple...I think I stayed in an economy room...but they are priced fairly. It's kind of a good blend....high end steakhouse but budget rooms....you end up spending your money on the right things!

In addition, every road into and out of Nelson is just a great ride. So many great day rides to loop back to.

Have a great time.

Cord

(imagine this pic without my finger on the lens) :))

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg