Riding though Canda from Sault Ste Marie to Thunder Bay

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Q

Reaction score
On Canada 17. Anyone have any road reports/issues I should be aware of? Looks a bit remote on the map just wondering if gas stations were readily available? Thanks in advance.

Just rode that stretch the 2nd week of June and no major issues/construction at that time. I am sure brick1 and Bungie can chime in with their expertise as this in in their backyard. You will have no problem with gas during the day, however, gas availability at night can be more challenging if you do not fill up in the major towns.... plus you are in moose country which can be a real hazard at night as well. Stick to riding in daylight hrs and all will be good. To make your day, watch the sides of the roads for the occasional bear and moose sightings....

I can say from recent experience that station's can be few and far between up there going East..And by looking at the map I'd say it's more than likely the same heading West Jeff.

Shoot a PM to that awesome ride leader Bungie. Don't get directions for him as you'll end hopelessly lost and ate by bears and black flies..

But I'm sure he has a relatively good idea on this.

9295aad0.jpg

Yes traveling West though Canada

If you can afford to take a little extra time, don't go down I-35 from Duluth, head to Superior and down through western Wisconsin and stick near the St. Croix river and follow the Mississippi. If you can spare a day, the roads east of LaCrosse WI are fantastic.

Thanks for the heads up. It will depend on how my daughter is doing. This is her first long trip.....and I have a family reunion in Northfield..

Last edited by a moderator: