Sending Google Map route to Garmin Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcpd807

Reaction score
I seemed to have fixed the problem :rolleyes:

Admin...delete if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm not mistaken Google Maps saves a route as a kml or kmz file. Using a free utility program like GPSBabel you convert the kml or kmz file to the Garmin gdb file format and then open the gdb file in mapsource and upload to your Zumo.

I went back to the maps I made using Google and added alot more waypoints. I think Google will allow you to have 25 waypoints per map. I then imported it using Tyre and converted it to a GPX file. I then opened that file using mapsource. I then had to get mapsource to recalculate the route. With adding the extra waypoints in google, mapsource could not route me how they thought I should go.

In the past I have not had to go back into Google and add more waypoints. I would just have a few waypoints and drag the route onto the roads I wanted to travel using Google, then convert with Tyre and open with mapsource and send to GPS with no problem.

I am not sure what was up with it last night or if I was doing something wrong. After many hours of messing with it, I was able to load 5 days of maps on my Zumo with the routes I want to travel.

If there is an easier way to get the exact Google map I build onto my Zumo 550? If you are doing something a hell of alot easier....please share.

Have a look at my thread comparing mapping programs. Google Maps to Garmin is discussed there, using TYRE, a very EZ freebie, made for TomTom but exports GPX as well.

I need to have a look at some things in Google Maps, now that they've added downloadable maps, and update my posts there . . . . Someday.

As for getting the EXACT route from Google Maps into the Garmin, you just can't. Map databases are different, for one thing, so Google's servers see the world differently than your Zumo. It also depends on how up-to-date your Zumo is, because Google's maps are pretty much as near up to date as possible. Basically the GPX file goes into the device and it recalcs from there. Better would be GPX file into Mapsource and make needed adjustments there, as the Mapsource route will go exactly into the Zumo. (But don't let the Zumo recalc it or all bets are off!)

As for the Mapquest driectly loading, it loads start and finish, waypoints, and the device calculates. Again, maybe the route changes.

If there is an easier way to get the exact Google map I build onto my Zumo 550? If you are doing something a hell of alot easier....please share.

There is. Sort of...

There is a little free utility called GMapToGPX (link here) which will convert any GoogleMap route (made in the "Directions" section of GoogleMaps) into a GPX text file. When this utility creates the GPX file it inserts a bazillion via points at nearly every turn so the GPX route will be very close to what you have in Google. You can then open the GPX file in Mapsource and massage it to your liking before you send it to your GPS.

I have used this technique in the past, and it works OK.

I have since just become more adept at routing directly in Mapsource and skip all of the translation issues.

Once you go through the pain of learning the non-intuitive Mapsource user interface, it is just as quick to use as GoogleMaps or MapQuest.

I have tried TYRE and found it as unintuitive as Mapsource and it still has map database translation issues.

With MapQuest now you can load directly to your Garmin.
Not really. It will send the saved waypoints and connect them as a route, but if you make modifications of the route by dragging the route around, (which is the whole point of using these web sites to create the routes), these will all be lost on transfer to the GPS.

I make custom routes in Mapquest "Classic" then send them to my Nuvi 755 with great success. Might be different with a Zumo, I don't know. The key to making this work is make sure when you've altered the route from the Mapquest default route to a route of your own making to hold the little hand over the point you've designated on your choosen route (it will show up as a small red dot) until a dialogue box appears. In the box click on "Make it a Route Stop" and by doing so Mapquest will take you to that location. This will override the default Mapquest route. Just make a series of breadcrumbs like this whenever you alter your route to one of your choosing.

You can only send single location points to your GPS directly from Googlemaps: point A to point B. If you want to do full custom routes what I always do is....

1. Set up the routes on Googlemaps first. Check the street views for new roads to make sure their paved

2. Open up Mapsource and copy what I did in Googlemaps to Mapsource then export to my Garmin 660.

I've gotten so used to doing it this way that it doesn't take me long to do it and it gets put into my Garmin the right way with no issues. It would be nice if Googlemaps would let us send complex custom routes direct to our GPS units. I don't like Mapquest because you have to zoom in so far to even pick up the secondary roads that it's a PITA to me to mess with.

You can only send single location points to your GPS directly from Googlemaps: point A to point B. If you want to do full custom routes what I always do is....

1. Set up the routes on Googlemaps first. Check the street views for new roads to make sure their paved

2. Open up Mapsource and copy what I did in Googlemaps to Mapsource then export to my Garmin 660.

I've gotten so used to doing it this way that it doesn't take me long to do it and it gets put into my Garmin the right way with no issues. It would be nice if Googlemaps would let us send complex custom routes direct to our GPS units. I don't like Mapquest because you have to zoom in so far to even pick up the secondary roads that it's a PITA to me to mess with.
Good posts, Roller/Fred W. Exactly what I ended up doing. Been through a bunch of file conversion tools for Googlemaps to Mapsource (WinGDB3, GmapToGPX, TakeItWithMe). Spend hours and hours working with these. Very time consuming, in my experience. Then, once I get the route to Mapsource I have to carefully check the route--up close and personal--to ensure there are no funky little 'off route' twists. Even then, once uploaded to GPS unit I have to carefully check to make sure there are no surprises there. My first trip in NC mountains with such a converted route with Zumo 550 ultimately got me where I wanted to go but a couple turns/roads were completely unexpected and confusing. For sure I may not be properly using these tools.

Yes, with Mapquest there is no file conversion to Mapsource but I found Mapquest the same as you--constantly zooming in for detail, out for orientation. Finally bit the bullet, dug around in Mapsource until it was easy enough to use efficiently. But, the problem is essentially the same with Mapsource as Mapquest--zooming in and out. And, sometimes the labelling of Mapsource roads/streets is not as conventional as you are accustomed to seeing on Googlemaps, or, physical road maps for that matter. But, with Mapsource, once created you can be sure you have exactly the map you intended--no translation issues rendering quirky, unexpected turns while you're riding the route you thought you designed. So like you, I build a Googlemap route which is as easy as it gets. I then open Mapsource, split my screen between Googlemaps and Mapsource and duplicate the Googlemap on Mapsource. Fairly quick, no problems.

I make custom routes in Mapquest "Classic" then send them to my Nuvi 755 with great success. Might be different with a Zumo, I don't know. The key to making this work is make sure when you've altered the route from the Mapquest default route to a route of your own making to hold the little hand over the point you've designated on your choosen route (it will show up as a small red dot) until a dialogue box appears. In the box click on "Make it a Route Stop" and by doing so Mapquest will take you to that location. This will override the default Mapquest route. Just make a series of breadcrumbs like this whenever you alter your route to one of your choosing.

+1, works on my Zumo 550 just fine.