#1 yamafitter

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:03 AM

If you are planning on attending the NERDS Tech Day event and thinking about a CCT change please review a thread I started awhile ago that will give you a list of parts & tools for the procedure. You should not need to bring tools but please bring with you the new CCT, a new CCT gasket, a new oil pump cover gasket and ty-raps so that there are no problems with the change out. I have a list of the parts along with their associated Yamaha part numbers in the thread.

CCT Change Procedure
cfrlogo-2-1.jpgNAFO-2010pinrev1.jpgcfr2010.jpgwcrlogo.jpgCFR2013signature_zpsf3d5251e.jpg
Confucius say: "No matter where you go ..... there you are"

#2 mattster31

mattster31

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

I will be happy to demonstrate the proper technique involved in riding over 4X4 posts..........although not at 70mph :-) I'd like to actually ride the next day.........that's if I make it there.
It puts the lotion in the basket.............or it gets the hose.
IBA # 39552
Darksider #30

Uppercan400 8hr Moto Rally

#3 BikerGeek99

BikerGeek99

Yeah, it's a concrete corn cob. So? Darksider #71

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,878 posts
  • Bike: 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

And if anyone is going to attempt a valve adjustment, I volunteer the use of my shim kit.

I just need to know in advance so that I can retrieve it from that weirdo in Michigan and get it to Ed's in advance.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,473 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

Can someone show me how to do a valve adjustment on a Harley?
Walked away Posted ImagePosted Image Is it really crashing if you don't fall down?--
I wouldn't change a fucking thing; I've lived hard, played hard, and I ain't done yet. I've paid some severe penalties along the way, but the rewards have been so much greater; even if for just have participating in the game of life with utmost abandon. It's not who rides the furthest in a day, but rather in a lifetime. CBA member #1, IBA #31845 and very proud of both.
Posted Image

#5 FJRay

FJRay

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

All you need is a rock and a stick. Add alcohol,throw the rock at it and beat it with the stick. Done deal. :D :P
03 FJR1300
03 GL1800 "The Prom Queen"
Sarcasm is just one more service we offer !!
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. This poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.
IBA#33731

#6 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:26 PM

All you need is a rock and a stick. Add alcohol,throw the rock at it and beat it with the stick. Done deal. :D :P

LOL, hydraulic is nice..
Walked away Posted ImagePosted Image Is it really crashing if you don't fall down?--
I wouldn't change a fucking thing; I've lived hard, played hard, and I ain't done yet. I've paid some severe penalties along the way, but the rewards have been so much greater; even if for just have participating in the game of life with utmost abandon. It's not who rides the furthest in a day, but rather in a lifetime. CBA member #1, IBA #31845 and very proud of both.
Posted Image

#7 Bustanut joker

Bustanut joker

STFU

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

And if anyone is going to attempt a valve adjustment, I volunteer the use of my shim kit.

I just need to know in advance so that I can retrieve it from that weirdo in Michigan and get it to Ed's in advance.

There will be no shim kit retrieval without sexual favors..
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Los Robustos M/C member #18 Darksider #28

#8 FJRed

FJRed

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

OK, I've received requests from a few people for my address for Tech Day. So far it looks like 6 or 8 people are planning to show up. I have the parts and tools on-hand to do a CCT replacement, TB Sync, Tire Change, Steering Head check/re-torque, and Oil change.

The valve check might be a little much to tackle the day before 3 days of riding. It'd be really easy to get yourself into a situation where you screw up your ride time because something unexpected happened when you opened up the top of the engine.

If you're interested in stopping by to work on your bike, or just hang out, PM me and I'll send you the address.

Ed.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Don't be Stupid...

#9 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

when is tech day? may need oil change?
Posted Image

#10 FJRed

FJRed

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

Tech day is the Wednesday before NERDS (August 17th). It's at my house in Waterbury, VT (same place as the pre-NERDS campfire)

PM me and I'll send you my address.

Ed.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Don't be Stupid...

#11 graytaz

graytaz

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

I won't be able to make the Tech Day but would like to get some information if a steering head check/retorque is performed. I'm interested in customizing a socket to make a tool like this Steering nut tool and would like to know how deep a socket would have to be to reach the dimensions of the steering shaft and the diameter of the steering bearing nut. If I can get the right length and diameter socket, it should just be a case of grinding away enough material to leave the pins.
If you can assist with this project, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

graytaz

VPMap.gifVSMap.gif cfr2007a.gif nerds11.jpg NERDS_12_Icon.jpgcrashclub.gif 2003 replaced with 2008

#12 graytaz

graytaz

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

I won't be able to make the Tech Day but would like to get some information if a steering head check/retorque is performed. I'm interested in customizing a socket to make a tool like this Steering nut tool and would like to know how deep a socket would have to be to reach the dimensions of the steering shaft and the diameter of the steering bearing nut. If I can get the right length and diameter socket, it should just be a case of grinding away enough material to leave the pins.
If you can assist with this project, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

PhilJet09 directed me to his post on making the tool out of a 1 1/4" socket. I think I'll follow his lead.
Thanks

graytaz

VPMap.gifVSMap.gif cfr2007a.gif nerds11.jpg NERDS_12_Icon.jpgcrashclub.gif 2003 replaced with 2008

#13 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

On schedule to be in Stowe before noon tomorrow! Ed, hope to see you soon - oil and filter change woo hoo! Spot tracking here.. pw = NERDS
Posted Image

#14 HaulinAshe

HaulinAshe

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

Damn, I wish I could make it and screw up wrench on all your bikes.
The older you are, the faster you used to be.

#15 MEM

MEM

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

On schedule to be in Stowe before noon tomorrow! Ed, hope to see you soon - oil and filter change woo hoo! Spot tracking here.. pw = NERDS

COOL, dude!

Now see?? THAT wasn't so hard, was it ? Candy ass .... :P
Mary Ellen

CFR 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013; MAINE CHOWDAH RUN 2010 2011; GREENS WHITES RIDE 2010; WCR 2010; NAFO 2010 2012; DEATH VALLEY WILDFLOWERS RIDE 2011; NERDS 2011 2012;
EOM 2011; LA PINE REUBEN RUN 2012

#16 ionbeam

ionbeam

2 FUN

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:30 AM

A small glitch in plans will have me arriving around 2:00 this afternoon.
"It’s a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson

#17 FJRed

FJRed

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:50 AM

A small glitch in plans will have me arriving around 2:00 this afternoon.

My AVCC awaits your diagnostic wizardry...

Ed.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Don't be Stupid...

#18 Bungie

Bungie

FrostBack #2 - IBA # 44620

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Bike: 2013A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:16 AM

On schedule to be in Stowe before noon tomorrow!

Heheh.. Don is smelling the barn, he's on the road early today.
100K04CLUB.jpgbanner.gifSWFOG2010.gifNAFO2010.jpgSEOhioRamble.gif