NERDS Tech Day Remimder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
If you are planning on attending the NERDS Tech Day event and thinking about a CCT change please review a thread I started awhile ago that will give you a list of parts & tools for the procedure. You should not need to bring tools but please bring with you the new CCT, a new CCT gasket, a new oil pump cover gasket and ty-raps so that there are no problems with the change out. I have a list of the parts along with their associated Yamaha part numbers in the thread.

CCT Change Procedure

I will be happy to demonstrate the proper technique involved in riding over 4X4 posts..........although not at 70mph :) I'd like to actually ride the next day.........that's if I make it there.

And if anyone is going to attempt a valve adjustment, I volunteer the use of my shim kit.

I just need to know in advance so that I can retrieve it from that weirdo in Michigan and get it to Ed's in advance.

And if anyone is going to attempt a valve adjustment, I volunteer the use of my shim kit.

I just need to know in advance so that I can retrieve it from that weirdo in Michigan and get it to Ed's in advance.

There will be no shim kit retrieval without sexual favors..

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I've received requests from a few people for my address for Tech Day. So far it looks like 6 or 8 people are planning to show up. I have the parts and tools on-hand to do a CCT replacement, TB Sync, Tire Change, Steering Head check/re-torque, and Oil change.

The valve check might be a little much to tackle the day before 3 days of riding. It'd be really easy to get yourself into a situation where you screw up your ride time because something unexpected happened when you opened up the top of the engine.

If you're interested in stopping by to work on your bike, or just hang out, PM me and I'll send you the address.

Ed.

Tech day is the Wednesday before NERDS (August 17th). It's at my house in Waterbury, VT (same place as the pre-NERDS campfire)

PM me and I'll send you my address.

Ed.

I won't be able to make the Tech Day but would like to get some information if a steering head check/retorque is performed. I'm interested in customizing a socket to make a tool like this Steering nut tool and would like to know how deep a socket would have to be to reach the dimensions of the steering shaft and the diameter of the steering bearing nut. If I can get the right length and diameter socket, it should just be a case of grinding away enough material to leave the pins.

If you can assist with this project, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

I won't be able to make the Tech Day but would like to get some information if a steering head check/retorque is performed. I'm interested in customizing a socket to make a tool like this Steering nut tool and would like to know how deep a socket would have to be to reach the dimensions of the steering shaft and the diameter of the steering bearing nut. If I can get the right length and diameter socket, it should just be a case of grinding away enough material to leave the pins.

If you can assist with this project, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
PhilJet09 directed me to his post on making the tool out of a 1 1/4" socket. I think I'll follow his lead.

Thanks