NAFO at CFR2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/ One quick question for my fine Canadian Friends: Were you Hosers stupid drunk when you Frostbacks attended the Toronto, CA Motorcycle Show?
To my recollection I wasn't drunk therefore I must be stupid.

I didn't see your post about the Nortons until after attending the show plus I was only at the show just long enough to have some beers on another person's tab. That being the case, now that I think about it, maybe I was drunk.

I do have some foggy notion of seeing some Nortons but thought at the time that they were just vintage bikes.

I do have some foggy notion of seeing some Nortons but thought at the time that they were just vintage bikes.
Brother Bill, they are making the new Norton 961's look so much like the Commando's of 40 years ago it's truly incredible. They look like original "hot-rodded" 850's!

norton-commando-961--4_460x0w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you remember, Don, I did not say who was missing or not. I did notice the lack of the Kawasaki and the very large display of Harleys RIGHT AT THE FRONT DOOR.

I was actually looking for the Kawasaki display because I am looking for a smaller dual sport (licence-able). Honda has a 230 that is streetable.

As for the NORTONS as I read Bill's post he maybe correct... There appeared to be a display of vintage bikes. I looked at them in passing and thought the same as Bill.

If you remember, Don, I did not say who was missing or not. I did notice the lack of the Kawasaki and the very large display of Harleys RIGHT AT THE FRONT DOOR.

I was actually looking for the Kawasaki display because I am looking for a smaller dual sport (licence-able). Honda has a 230 that is streetable.

As for the NORTONS as I read Bill's post he maybe correct... There appeared to be a display of vintage bikes. I looked at them in passing and thought the same as Bill.
Mi Hermano Tomaso: The new Nortons's are eerily identical to the old Commando's! I had thought that Triumph did a good job of making the new Bonneville look like the old Bonnie's of the 1960's, but this new 961 Norton could really confuse a Norton Enthusiast. The new Norton looks like a privateer just "kitted up" a 1970's Commando!

I just hope that they bring back the Norton Girls, here is one for you Tom:

go_far_faster.jpg

And here's a Norton Girl for Papa Chuy Viejo!

superplus.JPG

https://www.bmwmoa.or...ead.php?t=56084 My Dear Sweet Adorable Lovely Canadian Friends Barb, Quixote and FJRGuy Jeff, did you notice how I am "sucking up" here. Seth and I need a favor next June, we want to get our mitts on a pair of Schuberth System Helmets; they are illegal to be sold en Estados Unidos. They have every legally recognized safety standard certification in the World except for the DOT, that is why our US Feds and BMW of Canada are real buttheads about we Americans owning them.

So, I am hoping that we Stanley Boys can accompany one of you to a BMW shoppe in either Calgary, Victoria or Vancouver. Seth and I will try on the Schuberth Helmets for proper fit and color desired, and then slip you folks the Loonies and Toonies required to buy these babies! Then we will go to a Postal Center and mail our HJC helmets home to Chandler, AZ.
Don,

Not sure if that pricing scared you off or not, but I'll talk to the guys at my local shop next time i'm by there. There is a slight chance I may be able to get a small discount on them, but at the very least, tax is only 5% here so that'd save you 8% over buying in BC.

I may even, if you can pick size and colour from there, be able to pack-em with my gear when I go down to Montana (in the car) to pick up my new bike in the spring and UPS them to your door so you'd have them for the ride up! :)

https://www.bmwmoa.or...ead.php?t=56084 My Dear Sweet Adorable Lovely Canadian Friends Barb, Quixote and FJRGuy Jeff, did you notice how I am "sucking up" here. Seth and I need a favor next June, we want to get our mitts on a pair of Schuberth System Helmets; they are illegal to be sold en Estados Unidos. They have every legally recognized safety standard certification in the World except for the DOT, that is why our US Feds and BMW of Canada are real buttheads about we Americans owning them.

So, I am hoping that we Stanley Boys can accompany one of you to a BMW shoppe in either Calgary, Victoria or Vancouver. Seth and I will try on the Schuberth Helmets for proper fit and color desired, and then slip you folks the Loonies and Toonies required to buy these babies! Then we will go to a Postal Center and mail our HJC helmets home to Chandler, AZ.

There have been numerous threads on this very topic. BMW Canada has left strict instructions with its Canadian dealers that the System helmets are not to be sold to US customers.
The reason System helmets are available in Canada and elsewhere but not the US is not that they cannot be DOT certified. BMW does not want them sold in the litigious US market in order to prevent possible lawsuits.

I've heard that Canadian dealers can be subject to strict corporate sanctions for knowingly allowing helmets to get to the US market. For this reason' date=' several years ago the corporate solution was to pull the System helmets from the Canadian market altogether. Dealer lobbying got them back, and I don't think anyone wants to screw up that deal again. Hence the reluctance to sell to US customers.[/quote']
Don,

Not sure if that pricing scared you off or not, but I'll talk to the guys at my local shop next time i'm by there. There is a slight chance I may be able to get a small discount on them, but at the very least, tax is only 5% here so that'd save you 8% over buying in BC.

I may even be able to pack-em with my gear when I go down to Montana (in the car) to pick up my new bike in the spring and UPS them to your door so you'd have them for the ride up! :)
Many thanks for your kind offer Jeff, but I am going to do more detailed research on our new helmets. Because I could not physically examine a System 6 Schuberth, I was assuming from the CA and UK BMW Forum chatter that is was a fully new product. Ray, Tom and Bill seem to think that this is not the case, not really much different than the C2 and C1 I currently own.

The Stanley Boys have to have new helmets with communication in them, at age 63 my hearing is getting so bad I cannot hear Seth behind me. That irritates Seth immensely, he is screaming into my helmet and I can't make out a word. Would be nice to be able for us to talk together while we ride along!

Honda has a 230 that is streetable.
A lady friend of mine has a 230 for sale (I think its a 2008) as she took one look at my CBR and just had to have one. The demo ride clinched it for her. She took possesion of it last week.

Hold on, it's on Kijiji...

Honda 230 on Kijiji

Lemme know and I'll go have a good look at it. Her brother and her husband are both long time motorcyclists and I'd be SHOCKED if their was anything wrong with it.

Oh, and Don,

Norton will be at the Calgary Motorcycle Show January 6-8. I'll check'em out for ya! ;)
https://www.greatlakesbeer.com/ Thanks again, Jeff. I really think Ray, Tom and Bill never made it past the Great Lakes Brewery booth at the Toronto Motorcycle Show! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Well, thanks to Kevin - Panman of the Specific Northwet, we finally have a picture of the new Norton in the flesh from the Seattle Motorcycle Show.

DSCN4867.jpg
I have to wipe drool off my keyboard now! I love the lines on that bike! That would be great to ride around the backroads around here. Damn you Don, I have a new fantasy ride I want.

EDIT: But in black if offered.

Well, thanks to Kevin - Panman of the Specific Northwet, we finally have a picture of the new Norton in the flesh from the Seattle Motorcycle Show.

DSCN4867.jpg
I have to wipe drool off my keyboard now! I love the lines on that bike! That would be great to ride around the backroads around here. Damn you Don, I have a new fantasy ride I want.

No, no, no it must be red!

381082_10150411332812741_51822757740_8687995_1344259641_n.jpg

DSCN4867.jpg

No, no, no it must be red!

381082_10150411332812741_51822757740_8687995_1344259641_n.jpg
Oh shit! I need one in red and one in black. You had to show me a picture, didn't ya? How will I explain needing two to my wife?