NAFO #3 - Rally in the Rockies!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, just back from EOM and thinking about another FJR event. I'd better start planning now for NAFO 3. Anyone from the Right Coast need a riding partner in one direction?

I have family to visit in Kali while I'm that close.

Damn, just back from EOM and thinking about another FJR event. I'd better start planning now for NAFO 3. Anyone from the Right Coast need a riding partner in one direction?

Not from the right coast, however, I am planning on attending, and will be cheered to have company from BC to Calif..

FWFE

There are at least a few of us from the right coast who are planning to attend. It is too early for me to plan a route or even know how many days I'll have for the trip. In any case, I expect to stay to the north, probably west across NY and Ohio, then up though Michigan and across the UP, then stay on one side of the border or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not from the right coast, however, I am planning on attending, and will be cheered to have company from BC to Calif..

FWFE
Thanks, I haven't seen the Northwest coast in years. What I recall is great clam chowder, smoked Sturgeon and a beautifully rugged coast line.

Stayed a few times in a little village or town named Trinidad. Must be fairly close to Eureka.

There are at least a few of us from the right coast who are planning to attend. It is too early for me to plan a route or even know how many days I'll have for the trip. In any case, I expect to stay to the north, probably west across NY and Ohio, then up though Michigan and across the UP, then stay on one side of the border or the other.
Like you say it is a bit early for routes. This will be my first cross country trip by bike. Some how posting my plan makes it a bit more real. I have a few obstacles

to eliminate to make this happen. Doc needs to fix an old shoulder injury caused by repetitive motion of the right arm. No clue what he is talking about.

Maybe beer drinking. Anyway this trip is the push I need to get it fixed.

Planning on heading out there myself we'll have to talk when the time gets closer. We may run into each other on the way out.

Ahh here it is. Timely bump ahchiu. I hope to make this one! Going to get some time off OK'ed in advance. :)

If you are going across the UP then you should plan on stopping in Duluth MN at the Aerostith store. Do not bother with the Manitoba or Saskatchewan but rather drop a little south and ride the Badlands of South Dakota, Custer National Park, Needles Hwy and a whole bunch of other great roads.

You need to be somewhat careful this early in the season however since some of the mountain passes may be impassable (mid-June). For example it wasn't until late August that they removed the snow to open up the road to Windy Ridge at Mt St Helens.This won't be an issue for the offical NAFO routes since that area of the Canadian mountain ranges are at a much lower elevation.

If you are going across the UP then you should plan on stopping in Duluth MN at the Aerostith store. Do not bother with the Manitoba or Saskatchewan but rather drop a little south and ride the Badlands of South Dakota, Custer National Park, Needles Hwy and a whole bunch of other great roads.

You need to be somewhat careful this early in the season however since some of the mountain passes may be impassable (mid-June). For example it wasn't until late August that they removed the snow to open up the road to Windy Ridge at Mt St Helens.This won't be an issue for the offical NAFO routes since that area of the Canadian mountain ranges are at a much lower elevation.
Thanks for the information. I've been out that way a couple of times on the bike and really enjoy the Black Hills so that sounds like a good idea. I hadn't thought about running into snow further north, so I'll have to think about how that might affect my route. The only thing I know for sure is that I don't want to ride across Iowa and Nebraska. :eek:

Thanks for the information. I've been out that way a couple of times on the bike and really enjoy the Black Hills so that sounds like a good idea. I hadn't thought about running into snow further north, so I'll have to think about how that might affect my route. The only thing I know for sure is that I don't want to ride across Iowa and Nebraska. :eek:

Its not the "further north" part, it's the elevation part that counts most in June.

Oh yeah! Up for this one! Gonna have to get my passport renewed to get back into Amurica after visiting Canuckistan again, but even for a champion procrastinator like myself, that should be doable. Love your beautiful mountains, lakes, roadways* and citizens. This'un is gonna require another 10 to 14 day commitment, with requisite wanderings from northern Californistan, to get there and back.
Yeah, I might(?) give this some thought and wander up that way myself. What do you figure for 10 to 14 days out, about $300/day? :eek:

This is awesome. I would so love to go riding in BC. I hope this is a really full rally.

Sadly, I won't make this one. I've already got that time set aside to take younger son on his first moto-tour, heading down the Blue Ridge Parkway. But if you can make it, you should go. That is some stunningly beautiful country.

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we......

Latest posts