Cooling vests - compared and explained

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
For the forum:
Seems like everybody (including me) is dying from the heat this summer. I’ve been researching cooling vest systems for several days, and working on making a decision. Thought you might like to look at some of my research. I began with our own forum.
FJR forum results: My research on the forum revealed that almost all the posts focus on evaporative vests. These are proven to work better in low humidity or high airflow applications. They cost the least, but many leave clothing wet and are not as effective in high humidity applications. I wondered if there might be something else, something better. Seems to me that we spend a fortune on every possible farkle, and then when it comes to staying comfortable in the sweltering heat, we either don't ride, or we buy something cheap. My question was, what else is out there, how effective is it, and how much does it cost? Below are a couple examples.

Screenshot2011-07-30at14144PM.png

One example of a circulatory vest, this one utilizes a back pack water reservoir and pump. See post number 34 later in this thread for pictures and information about this vest from Veskimo. This vest can also be ordered with a large cooler instead: I have them both. Curios? PM me.

Screenshot2011-07-30at14821PM.png

One example of a phase change vest, this one recommended by one of the vest comparison websites I've listed below.

Screenshot2011-07-30at23851PM.png

Another example of a circulating vest, this one using a remote reservoir that can be easily refilled with ice when ya get gas. Perhaps this could be slipped into a saddlebag???

To me, there are basically four types of cooling vests. In order from the most effective to the least (my opinion), they are: circulatory, phase change, freeze pack, and evaporative.
• Circulatory involves a vest laced with tubing and a remote reservoir filled with ice and water. Recharged by dumping warm water out and adding ice (see first picture above).
• Phase change consists of inserts that maintain 53-59 degree temps until they “thaw” out. Remove inserts, recharge in fridge or container of ice water (see second picture above).
• Freeze pack utilizes inserts that are recharged by removing and placing in freezer.
• Evaporative vests are recharged by soaking. They absorb water and cool by evaporation as air flows over them

1. WebBIkeWorld's description of different types of vests with links CLICKY 1
2. Good article comparing different vests, written for MS patients with links to manufacturers. CLICKY 2
3. Texas Cool Vest CLICKY 3
4. Hog cooler” Black leather circulating vest and soft side cooler bag $350 / also has heater option??? Details about heater were vague. CLICKY 4
5. Cool shirt company: has some very interesting technologies... one utilizing C02... CLICKY 5 or CLICKY 5.5
6. Veskimo: THIS MAY BE THE BEST OF THEM ALL: active cooling (water circulating vest) costing $300 and up. A great deal of information here about the differences between various types of cooling vests when you get to the site, click on the link (found at upper left corner) entitled, [why choose Veskimo] : CLICKY 6.5
7. Glacier tek’s RCPM Cool vest: utilizes phase change technology (original version available on sale for $169) Spare cooling packs: $129 CLICKY 7 ****DISCOUNT TO FORUM MEMBERS: SEE POST #14 below on this thread.****
8. Polar products… Several types of cooling vests offered, circulating vest is high quality and expensive, others are reasonable. Phase change gel packs are also offered in small medium or large sizes for the vest. CLICKY 8
9. Edited March 2013: dead link
10. Techniche techkewl Phase Change Cooling vest $160 and extra set of cooling packs cost $120 Similar to Glacier tek (#7 above) but cheaper. CLICKY 10
11. Nextag listings for many companies making various types of cooling vests: several pages of links CLICKY 11
12. Phase change vest review on Bullard IsoTherm; this is a review w/ lots of links: CLICKY 12
13. Air conditioner on a bike? Entrosys: looks like start up company? Seems to be still in development stage as of Aug 2011, (and still as of this edit in March 2013), but it appears to be an actual air conditioner CLICKY13
14. Several cooling vest comments/testimonials and links/Av Rider CLICKY 14

Gary
darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Great research, Gary, and thanks so much for sharing! I'm toying with the idea of not only reprising my Wyoming trip that I didn't finish two years ago but also adding in Canada for NAFO next summer. I have a cooling vest that works pretty well but was curious about the other options out there... thanks for doing all that work for me! B)

Absolutely a great job! :clapping: :clapping:

I'll be linking it from the cooling vest section in the On Line Parts Thread I'm currently rebuilding.

I'm working on a trailer that carrys a generator and room airconditioner with a plastic ABS tunnel pointing to my back
Here's a better idea I know you'll like. Just get a plastic bubble on casters big enough for the FJR and pipe the air conditioner into the bubble. Nobody around here will call you bubble boy..... honest :hehe:

The other extra advantage is that it would double as the Cone of Silence so we don't have to hear your horn.

Nice write up, well done, thanks! Hopefully good enough not to end up in NEPRT

I run a Texas Cool Vest

Cool Vest

Interesting concept, it changes phase at around 55F so it's better than the circulation systems that run on ice water. It seems to work much like a heated vest in that it keeps your core temperature at a certain temperature and lets your blood do the legwork. I've ridden home from downtown in 105F heat and have not even started sweating but it felt like my hands and feet were on fire. I wasn't dehydrated because I burst into sweat as soon as I got home and took it off. It lasts about 1-1 1/2 hours in 110F heat.

Yes, it's a bit heavy and bulky but far surpasses any other system I've tried.

I see you're in FL. The cool vest concept is the only thing that works down here. Those evaporative system simply make you wet and hot.

For the forum:

Seems like everybody (including me) is dying from the heat this summer.
Yesterday was a cloudy 65 degrees with a little drizzle, but the rest of the week is going to be SUPER HOT! Well, at least super hot for Seattle with the forcast mid to upper 70's and actual sunshine! :yahoo: Now what where you saying about dying from heat? :p

Thanks for the research - I might want to leave western Washington during the summer and might need one of them vests.

So, I did a great deal of reading and follow up after writing this initial post. I researched each of the vests I listed in the original post as well as some others that I didn't list. Since I live in a humid climate and have to deal with 90+ temps for 6 1/2 months out of every year, I need something that works. I still feel that the circulating vests and the phase change vests are the best ones on the market, in that order. They are certainly the most expensive. Though both have their pros and cons, I still give the edge to the circulating vests. I spoke personally to two of the manufacturers on the phone: one who marketed phase change vests and the other, the man behind the Veskimo. I especially enjoyed talking with Kurt Jechel, the designer and owner of Veskimo.

I have come to believe that the circulating vests are the best product on the market for a several reasons.

---First is their effectiveness, they last longer. There is no product out there that will outlast a circulating system with a 9 or 12 quart cooler attached to it.

---Second is the fact that you can regulate the flow if they get too cool. This is a huge plus to me.

---Third is the amount of time it takes to recharge them when they are no longer cooling... it takes less than a minute to dump in some more ice, and it's available just about everywhere.

---Last, they are much thinner than phase change vests and fit better under ATGATT... All The Gear All The Time.

I respectfully disagree with BwanaD above, that phase change vests are better because they DON'T have ice water running through them. Because of the heat transfer coefficient of the tubing in the Veskimo, for example, the outside of the tubes that actually contact your skin is about 60 degrees, even though they're filled with ice water.

But like I said, there are pros and cons for each. The phase change vests have no external tubes or tanks to catch on things. For example, a roofer or air conditioning installer might want something less cumbersome. Anyway, I decided to purchase a Veskimo with the backpack unit. I'll be talking more about it in my next post when it arrives and I can try it out personally.

Gary

darksider #44

Great research, Gary, thanks. Just my preferences.... I've been looking for something that one can wear with ATGATT, as I don't want to give up protection. Also, it is best to keep your skin covered in the hot sun, so you don't dehydrate too quickly or sunburn.

Got back some good news from one of the companies that sell cooling vests. After asking several suppliers about discounts for the forum, Glacier Tek, the manufacturer of "Cool Vest," contacted me today to let me know that my request for a discount for FJR forum members has been approved. This is the same vest that BwanaDik spoke of in his post above. I received an email from Jennifer telling me that she spoke to her CEO about the matter, and they have agreed to grant a 10 percent discount to all forum members. Just use the coupon code below.

Here is her letter to me dated 8/9/11

Gary, we have created a coupon code for your forum members:

fjrforum-10

to offer them a 10% discount on orders placed online at www.coolvest.com

please let me know if you have any questions.

Jennifer Scherer

Customer Service Manager

Glacier Tek, Inc.

PO Box 120642

West Melbourne, FL 32912-0642

+1.321.752.4130, fax +1.321.752.4134

CAGE:1ESG7, CCR Reg., DUNS 612066977

Buy Securely Online https://www.coolvest.com

Excellent stuff Gary! I was not aware of all the options and advancements in this area that are out there.

With the Veskimo, if you get one of the coolers, how does it detach (or does it) in the even of a get-off? Pricey set-up, but looks pretty cool!

Great stuff. Seriously.

I'm currently working on a condenser that will chill continuously...however it works best if there is a "cage" for a nice cool air pocket...insulated from the hot air. Because of the weight of this cage, unfortunately the weight rating of the FJR is exceeded and additional support(s) would be required. (Therefore, 4 wheels instead of two). It would also be expeditious if the condenser is driven off the engine so additional mechanical power is not needed to be supported off of the vehicle frame.

Here is what it will look like when it is completed.

1972_Olds_Vista_Cruiser.jpg

Wheaton,

The people who created the VESTa Cruiser in your picture wouldn't appreciate your copying their design. By the way, I don't know a whole lotta people who even remember seeing these things around. You must be like really OLD...

Gary

darksider #44