Any interest in a test before you invest gathering?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ULEWZ

Reaction score
Buying windscreens and seats is a very daunting task. I personally buy at least 3 windscreens before I find the best for my height. And seats, don't get me started on what that cost me. So now that I have another new bike, an 07 FJR, I am back in the same boat, but this time I am hoping to do something smarter.

I am hoping to gather some So. Cal. FJR riders in one place that already have loads of aftermarket stuff installed for a test before you invest event. Or, test the Bling before you ka-ching! I know some people can be squeamish letting other people ride their bikes, but this can save people like me loads of money and time.

I am located in the Valley in Northridge, but can ride to a predetermined location, or host the event.

A ride through the local mountains swapping rides every mile of so until you find your nirvana and then ride to lunch is a thought. All must have insurance of course just in case.

I have added 5/8 in. up dogbones and adjustable foot pegs that people can try.

For windscreens, I am hoping riders show up with Cee Bailey, Rifle, Yamaha tall, and any other windscreens/sizes people might have.

For seats, I have drilled nine 1.5 in. holes half way up from the bottom to the top of my seat foam, and this made a huge difference to me as the holes are in the bone burn area allowing the foam to give when I sit down.

For Seats to try, I am hoping people show up with a Russell, Corbin, Sargent, Saddleman, Yamaha comfort, Rick Mayer, Bill Mayer, Cee Bailey, etc..

Bar risers may be of interest also to try.

I don't see many rides planned in this part of So. Cal, so I am hoping to get something going.

So, what you got and lets do this please!!

Put me down as definitely interested.

I have a California Scientific windshield (which I'm looking to replace), I also have other farkles added by the original owner such as a premier cycle accessories rack, some (unknown brand) loud ass horn, Hyper Lites and AES frame sliders (no you can't test those ;) )

Put me down as definitely interested.

I have a California Scientific windshield (which I'm looking to replace), I also have other farkles added by the original owner such as a premier cycle accessories rack, some (unknown brand) loud ass horn, Hyper Lites and AES frame sliders (no you can't test those ;) )
Great, that is two so far. We can turn this into a maintenance day if there is interest. I am reasonably handy with a wrench and write tech manuals for a living.

I already know how to do the spring unwind, frame slider install, adding fluid to the fork legs, installing dog bones, lubing rear splines, G2 type mod to the stock throttle tube, oil change, and tire changing (no guarantees of no scratches though)!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a great idea but will be out of state..

bump
It seemed like a reasonable request, but it also seems like all the So. Cal riders are already happy with their farkles. Anyhow, I still would like to ride with some local riders sometime, but don't see many advertised rides in my area. I ride with a local group that is mostly sportbikes, but would like to calm down and ride with some sporttouring riders for a change. I do ride after work on Thursday with two other FJR riders which is great. By the way, Wee Willey is not so Wee. :blink:

Any other interested parties?

Sure I'm down for a ride, I'm just getting used to the FJR and it's longer range (not just talking about distance between fillups) so I've been riding places that were out of reach on my old Intruder. This is the ride I did on Sunday https://bit.ly/oHjykx

If I want something quick I've got a pretty regular set of routes set up in the Santa Monica mountains and along the coast, I'm sure you know there are a lot of options out there.

Examples:

https://bit.ly/nYCEie

https://bit.ly/oFuDVH

One thing to be aware of when riding with me is I'm kind of a Foursquare nerd, so pretty much everywhere I go when I stop the first thing I do is pull out my cell phone to "check in", I'm also not above stopping some place specifically to check in.

I know the Santa Monica's pretty good, but prefer Little Tujunga, Bouquet Canyon, Spunky, etc. I ride and know well Angeles Crest (got my last ticket there so I avoid it) all the way to Wrightwood. I also love the 23 to the 150, to Ojai, up and over the 33 and to Cerro Noroeste to Frazier Park. A trip up to Solvang for some aebleskivers is also fun.

Just let me know when you have some weekend time and we can figure out a route.

I also love the Sequoias (I know some great roads up there), but that is a bit far for a day trip for a lightweight like me.

I'd be up for a run to Solvang or Frazier Park as long as we got an early-ish start. Also those would probably need to be on a Sunday.

Solvang early on a Sunday is no problem. I can ride as fast or as slow as you wish and will wait at every turn. Would you prefer the twisty route or the semi twisty route?

I am busy this Sunday, but the following Sunday?

Any others want to join in?

I'd say twisty route, the only time I find a road "too twisty" is if I'm stuck behind some slow car and can't properly lean in a turn. I'm sure I will be quite a bit slower than you though as I'm still getting used to the FJR.

You are talking about the 21st right? I think that will work but would need to verify.

Man I think that is a great idea. I'm bummed I'll be on the East Coast with my ride for most of the summer. If somebody is seeing this next year I will participate. Lots of farkles for folks to see.

Let us know how it goes.

Man I think that is a great idea. I'm bummed I'll be on the East Coast with my ride for most of the summer. If somebody is seeing this next year I will participate. Lots of farkles for folks to see.

Let us know how it goes.
This thread was from last year actually :)

Though another one would be a good idea I think.

This thread was from last year actually :)

Though another one would be a good idea I think.
If you folks decide to do this, I have a CeeBaily +4+4 for folks to try out and to pass around. It's a little scratched up, not worth keeping permanently, but it will work well for trying and getting a feel for the size.

Mountain, I'm sending a PM to you.

Latest posts