Group Ride Up and Over to SW-FOG from Arizona.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, we are booked. Gonna spend sunday nite in holbrook. Meet ya at the resturant monday. What roads are we takin to farmington & taos?

Ok, we are booked. Gonna spend sunday nite in holbrook. Meet ya at the resturant monday. What roads are we takin to farmington & taos?
Hi Mark and Duke, that's really great news! I let Big-D and Tucson Joe do the thinking, with my being Irish it's a lot safer that way. They'll post something, I just follow!

FYI, Farmington is a shithole, and there are better roads to be had. However, if it is on your way, just stop there and make do, or run a little farther north, hit Durango, ride east into Pagosa and sate the night there.

I agree Don.

I like shitholes. (1 night only)
I also like Shitholes, I'll just have to perform a bedbug inspection prior to bring my stuff into my house when I get home. I also like Shitheads, that is why I like HRZ and SkooterG, among others! I also like Tightie Whities, men that prefer Sheep, drunkards and I'm not bothered by people that can't spell Taos!

holbrook to farmington

3 routes to farmington

Farmington to Taos

2 routes to Taos
Mark, a number of years ago AZB Member Bruce Cain discovered the most amazing route from Arizona crossing in to New Mexico; I have only ridden it once and it is a bear to find, but I will search out this "secret" routing!

POSTSCRIPT: Many thanks to Bruce Cain for his previous Ride Report on riding Indian Route 13 Eastward from Lukachukai through Red Rock to New Mexico Route 491. You pass by Roof Butte at 9,784 feet and Shiprock Peak at 7,178 feet. Uri and I both commented on how much this route looked like Austrian Alps!!!

holbrook to farmington

3 routes to farmington

Farmington to Taos

2 routes to Taos

3rs route to taos (and shortest, would be right turn at chama & 64 to taos
OK marcusorelius, following up on my previous post: Please see if you can find a map for the routing posted below by AZB Bruce Cain. Guys, this is the most amazing motorcycle road that you have ever seen in the Southwest; I really don't even understand why this road exists, or even why this road is so nicely paved on the Indian Reservation!

This is basically a goat trail, but with super smooth pavement all of the way, up and over the mountains from Arizona to New Mexico. It is as if the Navajo Nation built a road just strictly for Motorcyclists. It is just like the Alps! No kidding, it is a single lane wide only, but on glass smooth asphalt; Freaking Unbelievable, we do have to ride this!

Brian

To Tsalie take 7 east out of Chinle; left on N64 winding along the north rim of Canyon De Chelly; left on 12 at the "T" intersection: Right on 13 at a convenience store. That road turns into 13/133 all the way over to 491, winding through buffalo pass. I went on Map quest and chose the Map option to drill down into Chinle.

The roads right in Chinle are not marked really well. 7 is main street and it just turns right into N64.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, a number of years ago AZB Member Bruce Cain discovered the most amazing route from Arizona crossing in to New Mexico; I have only ridden it once and it is a bear to find, but I will search out this "secret" routing.
That route is easy ya dork. Basically...Do you know how to get from Socorro to Las Cruces??

Don't go that way!

Mark, a number of years ago AZB Member Bruce Cain discovered the most amazing route from Arizona crossing in to New Mexico; I have only ridden it once and it is a bear to find, but I will search out this "secret" routing.
That route is easy ya dork. Basically...Do you know how to get from Socorro to Las Cruces??

Don't go that way!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lukachukai_Mountains AJ, I found the map! Over Buffalo Pass in the Lukachukai Mountain Range! https://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=3928

Many Thanks Mark, that's the road we need to take!

indian%20road%2013.jpg

An alternative is to take Indian Route 13 that comes into Arizona south of Shiprock, New Mexico. Taking Hwy 491 south out of Shiprock you can see the Shiprock monument off to the west. As the road goes from four lanes to two lanes, you’ll find Indian Route 13 heading west. It will take you through Red Rock and Lukachukai, Arizona. You wind through some nice mountain roads.

IR 13 meets IR 12 just past Lukachukai. From here take IR 12 south to Tsaile where you can pick up Indian Route 64 and ride along the north rim of Canyon de Chelley. Nice ride with a couple of scenic views of the canyon.

If Chinle isn’t your destination, IR12 is paved all the way down to Window Rock and I-40. A narrow Indian road, do pay attention as there can be cattle, horses, drunks and who knows what else is on the road.