Sacramento to Taos?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I'm going to SW-FOG, but I've been worrying about the heat getting down there. My thought is to leave very early in the a.m. (by say 4 a.m.) and go till the afternoon heat gets insufferable, hole up for the rest of the day, sleep early, and start real early again the next day. I'll lead the dark parts with my big old Clearwater Kristas lighting up all the wildlife. Anybody want to ride down and share some motel costs? (I'll be packing my CPAP machine, in case OM's alarmist comments about my snoring have you worried.) I'll probably bring camping gear for a more scenic and leisurely ride home.

Mikey, it ain't gonna be that hot down that way. It'll be well into September and except for

that shitty part of the trip (through sleazy Nevada), you'll be

able to route through some lovely mountains and high country.

Taos itself is at almost 7000 ft.

And since I understand you've taken to wearing a kilt and high-tops when

you ride, I'm sure you'll be as cool as a cucumber.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're absolutely right, ponytailed one. September third IS well into September. I feel much better.

edit: OK, September NINTH. I AM retired, you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our trip to PA this year took us through the heart of the extreme heat warning area in Kansas, Missouri, Illinois and Indiana this year. Hydration and wetting down clothing under the mesh jacket was key, but I doubt you'll likely encounter anything like it. Nevada and Utah were warm, but at least wetted clothing evaporates there. Next year, I'm getting a cooling vest.

How many miles per day do you want to target? I find the hardest part about riding in the off-hours is that no place is open for food or lodging after about 10:00 PM. We made Cedar City on day one, and Taos would be an easy and scenic trek from there if you wanted to make it a 2-day. Don't forget you'll lose an hour during your trip to Taos,

DAY-1.jpg