Cager bites bike, kills VT visit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sullivan

Reaction score
Stopped for pedestrians tonight, on Commercial street in Portland. Multiple painted walks as it is a tourist part of town. Lots of stop and go. Well this time was an interesting stop. Driver from out of town in a little Ford Focus? decided to double check her gps, being lost. I recall the pedestrians freezing, and a small skid or chirp. Bike is then set in motion out from under me! I remember worrying that someone behind me was about to run over my arm or worse, as I was on my arse.

Actually wanted to throw the finger as I looked around but thought better of it.

Anyway, cleaned out her front left at headlight.

Mine? Hit the rear can and saddlebag which traveled down the road. Urethane slider worked then ripped off. Every pc. of plastic is ground down up through to the fractured mirror and mount.

Left the bag behind temporarily and drove home with the can holding on at the connector only, as the support arm/peg/saddlebag point aluminum is toast.

Only have road rash under the wallet, not being sure if that caused it or helped me. Normally keep it in jacket.

So, any impromptu visit to Nerds is no longer.

Hope you all have a better ride!!!!!!!!!

Dan

Bummer!

At least your here typing about it!

And I would have definitely thrown the finger, as well as had just a *few* choice words for the FRICKING IDIOT.

One fun thing to do I learned from a lawyer friend of mine is that anytime you're in a fender bender where the other party is clearly at fault, and you're not seriously injured, is to grab your neck and pretend to have a spinal injury. It will scare the hell out of the other guy and make them very cooperative.

It's a good way to put the fear of god into them.

What the F*? I don't know what's with people these days -- I'm guessing that's a crowded street and using a GPS to tell you where to go while around all those people/cars.

I'm glad you're ok. I hope insurance treats you right.

Dennis

I was no where near Portland. Several of my "associates" can verify my whereabouts at the time in question.

Dan, can you tell me when you're going to be out on the streets again?

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you are OK. I feel your pain man, I had almost the exact same thing happen to me a couple months ago. F150 plowed into me at a yield. He managed to mangle both pipes and break the rear sub frame. Totaled the bike... Ride safe and watch those rear view mirrors!!!

Thanks for the replys. Got a few good chuckles.

I know Friday is the usual night for forum drinking and typing but am treating my self to some frosties and will be going to look at the frame where the slider got torqed and snapped off, etc.

Here's to good late summer weather to my friends riding in VT. A toast back at you for your tires to get a work out.