Souther Utah, Info Please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth1

Reaction score
I'm considering relocating to southern Utah, probably Cedar City.

My wife and I are traveling there in a couple of weeks to check out the area and some properties. We selected the area based on its location and climate.

About 1/2 way between our 2 kids and a 1 day drive from either and about 10 degrees cooler than Memphis year round.It appears there are some great riding roads in the area too.

I would appreciate any first hand info from members familiar with the area as this board has always been a great source of no BS info.

Thanks in advance.

John

I sent a message to Robin (Cdogman) on another site. He's out of town this weekend (Salt Lake City) but is familiar with Utah. He should be back this evening.....

Hey John.. Cedar City?

If you want to move and don't need to work you may want to consider the other side of the hill there(look east over duck creek pass at small towns). If you want to be in a larger town then Cedar city is cool... HOT!!!!! it gets very HOT there in the summer. If you are good with that.. Cedar City is a nice place...

As far as good riding.... Welcome to nirvana my friend, Locals call it Utah..

Mike can get a hold of me any time..

I will send you my phone number if you want to talk via PM here.. Call me if you wish. There are many pros and cons co Cedar city like most places.. if its just mid point between two points.. there are better choices if you dont mind small towns..

Robin

Hey Stealth, we've been kicking around the same idea and looking a little further south, St.George, Irvins, Santa Clara, Hurricane and the surrounding area. Have you researched on City Data yet ? They have a forum also that is specific to the area.

We'll be in the area in two weeks also, so if you see a balck fjr two up flag us down !

City data

Hey John.. Cedar City?

If you want to move and don't need to work you may want to consider the other side of the hill there(look east over duck creek pass at small towns). If you want to be in a larger town then Cedar city is cool... HOT!!!!! it gets very HOT there in the summer. If you are good with that.. Cedar City is a nice place...

As far as good riding.... Welcome to nirvana my friend, Locals call it Utah..

Mike can get a hold of me any time..

I will send you my phone number if you want to talk via PM here.. Call me if you wish. There are many pros and cons co Cedar city like most places.. if its just mid point between two points.. there are better choices if you dont mind small towns..

Robin
Thanks a lot, Robin. I'll be in touch.

Hey Stealth, we've been kicking around the same idea and looking a little further south, St.George, Irvins, Santa Clara, Hurricane and the surrounding area. Have you researched on City Data yet ? They have a forum also that is specific to the area.

We'll be in the area in two weeks also, so if you see a balck fjr two up flag us down !

City data
I have been on that site. One comment I remember was , "If you don't mind heat go to St George, If you don't mind snow, go to Cedar City." Evidently the climate is noticeably different even though they are only 50 mi apart.

St. George is a neat town which also places you within a 2 hour drive to a major airport (Las Vegas). The topography of St. George is such that the town is broken up among the red bluffs. From an aesthetic and development standpoint, St. George would win on my list. From a "downtown USA" type of town, Cedar City would be the winner. It's a tough call. Two VERY different towns separated merely by an hour drive.

The Duck Creek area is beautiful, but is filled with vacation homes. Some would find this a plus and some a deterrent.

I always thought Panguitch was a neat town with a strong hunting/outdoors culture, but my only experience there was as a common gas stop with a few minutes of socialization with the locals during snacks/meals on the bike. Hurricane has some great golfing and is close enough to St. George to have everything you'd need but small enough to maintain a sense of community.

On a jovial side... With the recent Warren Jeffs situation, I'm sure you'll soon see cheap, massively sized homes in Hildale, UT or Colorado City, AZ :)

Cedar City is about as small a town as we would consider.

Having lived most of our adult lives in the Memphis metro area I am sure there will be plenty of small town culture shock there. We may check out St George as well.

Thanks for all the info. We will be leaving Monday in the cage :sick: for our exploratory trip.

I'm sorry I missed this when you posted several months ago. I just wondered how the exploratory trip went. I live 10 miles north of St. George off SR 18, and our two kids go to college at Southern Utah University in Cedar City. I'm very familiar with both areas.

Like others said there is a great variation in climate between Cedar City and St. George. For example for the past couple of weeks Cedar City is often the coldest (or in the top 5) in the entire state, while St. George is typically the warmest.

My wife and I have lived in this area for 22 years.

If you're still considering the area and need more information/opinions, let me know.

On a jovial side... With the recent Warren Jeffs situation, I'm sure you'll soon see cheap, massively sized homes in Hildale, UT or Colorado City, AZ :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You beat me to it, that's the first place I thought of!

BigHouse.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry I missed this when you posted several months ago. I just wondered how the exploratory trip went. I live 10 miles north of St. George off SR 18, and our two kids go to college at Southern Utah University in Cedar City. I'm very familiar with both areas.

Like others said there is a great variation in climate between Cedar City and St. George. For example for the past couple of weeks Cedar City is often the coldest (or in the top 5) in the entire state, while St. George is typically the warmest.

If you're still considering the area and need more information/opinions, let me know.

Thanks for the offer.

A lot has happened since I started this thread.

I am typing this from my home in Cedar City.

My wife and I moved into our new home on the 19th of December. Unfortunately our furniture has still not made it. We are hoping it will be here by the 1st of the year. Meanwhile we are camping in our new home with 2 lawn chairs, an air mattress and a 13" TV and a boom box, all of which we brought with us. We did break down and buy 2 bar chairs so we could sit down and eat in our kitchen.

We decided to take the colder winter temps in exchange for less summer heat.

To call it a major cultural shift from the metropolitan Memphis area would be a huge understatement. So far 99% of the differences have been positive.

I'm looking forward to exploring the local roads on my FJR. Unfortunately I packed all my boots in a dresser that is with the delinquent furniture. I'm planning on a short ride this afternoon anyway with some 3/4 height leather shoes I brought with me. Highs are forecast for low 40's.

We'll have to get together for a ride sometime.

John

Thanks for the offer.

A lot has happened since I started this thread.

I am typing this from my home in Cedar City.

My wife and I moved into our new home on the 19th of December. Unfortunately our furniture has still not made it. We are hoping it will be here by the 1st of the year. Meanwhile we are camping in our new home with 2 lawn chairs, an air mattress and a 13" TV and a boom box, all of which we brought with us. We did break down and buy 2 bar chairs so we could sit down and eat in our kitchen.

We decided to take the colder winter temps in exchange for less summer heat.

To call it a major cultural shift from the metropolitan Memphis area would be a huge understatement. So far 99% of the differences have been positive.

I'm looking forward to exploring the local roads on my FJR. Unfortunately I packed all my boots in a dresser that is with the delinquent furniture. I'm planning on a short ride this afternoon anyway with some 3/4 height leather shoes I brought with me. Highs are forecast for low 40's.

We'll have to get together for a ride sometime.

John
Sounds good!!! You've been enjoying single digit low temps of late!! Maybe a day or two below zero??

You will love Cedar City, like I said my two kids live there.

Weather report calls for some beautiful days approaching or exceeding the 60's later in the week down around St. George. You can be down here in about 40 minutes or so.

I plan to go ride, shoot me a PM if you'd like to go and what day would be good.

Congrats on your move here, you'll love the riding!!