FJR Tech Day III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerGeek99

Yeah, it's a concrete corn cob. So?
Reaction score
What's that, you say? You couldn't attend FJR Tech Day II?

Well, no worries, because we're gonna do it all over AGAIN!

Yes, folks, Bust is gullible enough to host our third FJR Tech Day. If you have yet to attend, please PM either me or BustanutJoker for the address.

In past Tech Days, CCT's have been swapped out, valve checks and adjustments done, CCS100 install, TBS... It is looking like the theme for this Tech Day will be fork service.

So, on October 15, 2011, come on up / over / out to Bust's place in Owosso, MI, to wrench on your bike, wrench on someone else's bike, or just laugh at my amazing lack of mechanical aptitude!

I will try to make this one...I can probably put off my 52K service till then :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
CCT's have been swapped out...
WARNING FJR NEWBIE ALERT: What's a CCT? I searched for it on here and nothing came up. Any info or a quick link to what this is & why it might need to be replaced would be appreciated.

Sorry for the dumb question. I'm new around here with this bike.

What's a CCT? I searched for it on here and nothing came up. Any info or a quick link to what this is & why it might need to be replaced would be appreciated.

No worries! You're new and I'm a lousy mechanic.

We're referring to the cam chain tensioner. More info HERE <CCT Clicky>.

What's a CCT? I searched for it on here and nothing came up. Any info or a quick link to what this is & why it might need to be replaced would be appreciated.

No worries! You're new and I'm a lousy mechanic.

We're referring to the cam chain tensioner. More info HERE <CCT Clicky>.
Ok got it thanks! After reading that it seems most have 40,000 - 70,000 miles before it's an issue. My bike has barely been ridden (which is why I bought it) and only has 4,200 on it. So hopefully I'm a ways off from having to worry about this. I'll keep an ear out for it however.

I grew up in Flint and am familiar with Owosso. If I didn't live 800 miles south I'd consider coming up. But I see 800 miles in a day is like childs play to a lot of you maniacs!!!! :D

I think I could make an appearance. Now I just need to figure out what I need to do to the bike. Just turned 21k miles I'll probably be close to 25k by then. What sort of things need to be done at that mark?

CCS is working great by the way!

I'm probably due for fork service (32k miles). What do I need?
I don't know if Ray has the seal drivers for doing the fork bushings. Fork seals are easy. If you have never had the folks looked at I would suspect at your mileage on a Gen II the bushings need replacement and you might as well replace the fork seals since the seals will be removed to get at the bushings. You will also need a couple of bottles of your favorite flavour of fork oil. Those of us that have done fork upgrades run a slightly different flavour due to the added valving.

We will also need some solvent such as naphtha for cleaning the metering rods and flushing out the tubes. I'm going to suggest that we find a local Owosso supplier and get a 5 gal gas can worth of solvent to clean all the parts we will be doing rather than everyone trying to cart solvent on the bikes. You may also want to consider ordering parts and fork oil in advance and have them delivered to Owosso. Just a thought.

I think I could make an appearance. Now I just need to figure out what I need to do to the bike. Just turned 21k miles I'll probably be close to 25k by then. What sort of things need to be done at that mark?

CCS is working great by the way!
I would think fork oil change as a bare minimum.

I'm planning on also changing the steering head bearings to the tapered roller design since the forks will be off the bike and this will be the perfect time to work on the steering head.

Here is the link on steering head maintenance:

Steering Head Service

This sounds tempting. Hooterville one weekend & tech weekend the next. Will need to find out what the mileage is, but might not be too bad. Will bring the seal driver if I do. Mostly keen on the idea of the steering head bearings myself. Hmmmm 680 mi. Still worth considering.

y'all are gunna be forkin' around in Bust's garage?

two words..............

"take video", m'kay?

:lol:

I have an "official" okay from the Mrs. and an email telling me I can have the time off from work! :yahoo: Can I claim a bed or some floor space?

Sure can Scott.

Wow 4 of 6 racks are spoken for already. We're going to look into getting some type of camper for a few more beds.

Gents, we will need the special tubing to install the middle bushings on Gen2 forks...... I think it is 2" OD thinwall brass railing tube or similar.... who's got one we can borrow, or do we look for some tubing? Seal drivers would be nice, but not so worried about those.

Can one of the Gen 1ers post a parts list of what needs to be purchased for the forks? I am planning a "lap of America" next spring to celebrate my 50th b-day. I want to change/flush all fluids, and would like to have fresh forks for the journey.

Also, will there be enough time and will be have enough of the tuperware off to swap out the lights on the dash for LEDs? If there is a consensus on this I will order up a crap load of them and have them drop shipped to Bust's house.