Photo

Join Seth and Don Stanley Riding Utah's National Parks!

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#41 marcusorelius

marcusorelius

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:27 AM

Get'n the fjr ready for the trip (new rear tire due tommorow, change gear oil, replaced front signal, oil change) Weather says it should be 60 & sunny in torrey!

RIP Duke the FJR forum mascot!  2004 FJR 2006 Drz400s 97 Honda Shadow Spirit
"ya otta be ride'n in a convertible, bird doggin chicks and bang'n beaver" - R.P. McMurphy "Medication Time, It's Medication Time"- Nurse Ratchet My facebook link

#42 ShinyPartsUp

ShinyPartsUp

Old Goat

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,594 posts
  • 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:13 PM

My feejer is getting some new plastic installed, brodie's wiring fix, oilchange, block-off plates and PCIII installed. Looking forward to this trip....
The only difference between intelligence and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.

#43 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,203 posts
  • 2013A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:06 AM

BUMP REMINDER! There are still rooms available at the three lodgings if anyone still wants to join us, just give them a call. The weather will be perfect for this October Utah National Parks Ride!

FJRBluesman, RPrice, ShinyPartsUp, azitilies, fljab, dcarver, marcusorelius, Duke the Wonder Dog, Ken, Jim in Phoenix and all other Utah October Riders: I've added the toll free numbers and websites for the three night's lodgings below. Hope to see all of you, and any interested others, join up with The Stanley Boys on October 11.

Tuesday, October 11 at San Juan Inn in Mexican Hat, Utah: 1-800-447-2022 http://www.sanjuaninn.net/

Wednesday, October 12 at Rimrock Inn in Torrey, Utah: 1-888-447-4676 http://www.therimrock.net/

Thursday, October 13 at Driftwood Lodge in Zion, Utah: 1-888-801-8811 http://www.driftwoodlodge.net/

#44 Old Michael

Old Michael

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts
  • Other or considering FJR

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:22 AM

Ain't in the cards for me, Don, but I'll concur that Southern Utah in early October is ridiculously beautiful.
The autumn colors are fierce, especially on that stretch of 12 (Grand Staircase) between Henrieville and Torrey.
Y'all have a great trip!
(And during photo stops through there, keep an eye on Shiny. Turn your back on him, and he'll hop a fence and start chasing livestock.)

#45 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,203 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:30 AM

Ain't in the cards for me, Don, but I'll concur that Southern Utah in early October is ridiculously beautiful.
The autumn colors are fierce, especially on that stretch of 12 (Grand Staircase) between Henrieville and Torrey.
Y'all have a great trip!
(And during photo stops through there, keep an eye on Shiny. Turn your back on him, and he'll hop a fence and start chasing livestock.)

You are right Mick, it won't be all Wine and Roses; keeping an eye on Shiny is a full time job, I sometimes wonder if he is Italian rather than Irish!

#46 ShinyPartsUp

ShinyPartsUp

Old Goat

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,594 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

Y'all have a great trip!

You are right Mick, it won't be all Wine and Roses; keeping an eye on Shiny is a full time job, I sometimes wonder if he is Italian rather than Irish!

Whatever happened to all those times you yell at us for putting fellow finians down papa? My feelings are hurt. You like old mick better than me!

But if the chance does happen, would you take pictures of me for those "lonely moments"?
The only difference between intelligence and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.

#47 Tyler

Tyler

Miss Demeanor

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

You boys have fun now... I have taken the liberty of giving advance notice to the authorities and all livestock farmers in the areas you'll be traveling... hope you have a great trip! B)

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.

A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.

#48 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,203 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:28 PM

You boys have fun now... I have taken the liberty of giving advance notice to the authorities and all livestock farmers in the areas you'll be traveling... hope you have a great trip! B)

I am so going to have my hands full with Shiny, Miss Tyler.

Lots and lots of goats up in Utah, both wild and domestic.

Posted Image

#49 ShinyPartsUp

ShinyPartsUp

Old Goat

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,594 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

I am so going to have my hands full with Shiny, Miss Tyler.

Lots and lots of goats up in Utah, both wild and domestic.

Posted Image

I don't know about that one. Reminds me a little of FJRay.... :huh:

#50 Tyler

Tyler

Miss Demeanor

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

Picky, picky... jeez! :rolleyes:

#51 ShinyPartsUp

ShinyPartsUp

Old Goat

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,594 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:29 PM

You're right of course! I'll bring a paper bag.

#52 Tyler

Tyler

Miss Demeanor

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

You're right of course! I'll bring a paper bag.

Or two... ;)

#53 marcusorelius

marcusorelius

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

A description I found on Highway 12: "Windswept red-rock canyons, towering sandstone formations, pristine lakes, and pine-studded mountain ranges combine for an altogether over-the-top sensory experience in Southern Utah.
The setting for several stunning national parks, this remarkable road connects those at Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef, and offers unique beauty and seemingly limitless recreational opportunities on a stretch of land between the two parks' boundaries.
Utah Highway 12, also known as Highway 12 Scenic Byway, is one of only 27 nationally designated All-American Roads—the highest honor a road can get for attractive scenery. This spectacular route travels away from Bryce Canyon, through the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, and over the forested Boulder Mountain and the Dixie National Forest, before winding down near the entrance to Capitol Reef.
The scenery is unforgettable along the entire length of the road—especially during the brilliant red-rock sunsets that provide a glorious grand finale to a day's driving adventure here."

"ya otta be ride'n in a convertible, bird doggin chicks and bang'n beaver" - R.P. McMurphy "Medication Time, It's Medication Time"- Nurse Ratchet My facebook link

#54 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,203 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

A description I found on Highway 12: "Windswept red-rock canyons, towering sandstone formations, pristine lakes, and pine-studded mountain ranges combine for an altogether over-the-top sensory experience in Southern Utah.
The setting for several stunning national parks, this remarkable road connects those at Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef, and offers unique beauty and seemingly limitless recreational opportunities on a stretch of land between the two parks' boundaries.
Utah Highway 12, also known as Highway 12 Scenic Byway, is one of only 27 nationally designated All-American Roads—the highest honor a road can get for attractive scenery. This spectacular route travels away from Bryce Canyon, through the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, and over the forested Boulder Mountain and the Dixie National Forest, before winding down near the entrance to Capitol Reef.
The scenery is unforgettable along the entire length of the road—especially during the brilliant red-rock sunsets that provide a glorious grand finale to a day's driving adventure here."

Thanks for the great Highway 12 Report, Mark! The weather is going to be perfect for this Utah Ride, 75F high and 45 low with sunshine. All the rain is going to those sorry ass mooks in California!

http://www.intellica...cation=USUT0159

#55 Big-D

Big-D

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

I will not be able to make this ride either unfortunately. I was made an offer I could not refuse on a new toy and just couldn't pass it up. It was either ride with a bunch of scallywags or spend my trip money+ on something I had been looking at for a while and accessories to go along with it. So this time the trip lost out.

But I've already purchased my yearly America the Beautiful National Parks Pass, so I feel compelled to use it come Spring. Perhaps a trip out to see that old fuker in Michigan will be in he cards.

Dan
50x50.png"]http://i603.photobuc...FOG09-50x50.png[/url]
Los Robustos M/C member "Eat to Ride - Ride to Eat"[/size]

#56 ShinyPartsUp

ShinyPartsUp

Old Goat

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,594 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

I will not be able to make this ride either unfortunately. I was made an offer I could not refuse on a new toy and just couldn't pass it up. It was either ride with a bunch of scallywags or spend my trip money+ on something I had been looking at for a while and accessories to go along with it. So this time the trip lost out.

But I've already purchased my yearly America the Beautiful National Parks Pass, so I feel compelled to use it come Spring. Perhaps a trip out to see that old fuker in Michigan will be in he cards.

Dan

Darn,

I was hoping to meet ya. I'm still on, though the weather is starting to turn nasty. I may have to take a southerly route rather than a planned easterly one. I still need to pick up my pass too. Hope to catch up with ya next year.

#57 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,203 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:34 AM

Dan

Darn,

I was hoping to meet ya. I'm still on, though the weather is starting to turn nasty. I may have to take a southerly route rather than a planned easterly one. I still need to pick up my pass too. Hope to catch up with ya next year.

Brother Michael, Confucius says: "Be very careful of what you wish for!" Papa Chuy Viejo is very afraid that this is Big-Dan's new "toy" and you don't really want to see the accessories! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Posted Image

#58 marcusorelius

marcusorelius

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:16 AM

Don, will we be go'n this way from mexican hat to torrey (stop at canyonlands, arches np's or both)
Mexican hat to torrey long way
or this short way
Mexican hat to torrey short way

#59 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,203 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:28 AM

Good Morning Mark, for some reason neither one of your links will open up for me on my PC. But, here is the route that Seth and I are taking:

East from Mexican Hat on Route 163 to Bluff, North on 191 to Blanding, Northwest on 95 to Hanksville, then finally West on 24 to Torrey, Utah.

#60 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,203 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:32 AM

Good Morning Mark, for some reason neither one of your links will open up for me on my PC. But, here is the route that Seth and I are taking:

East from Mexican Hat on Route 163 to Bluff, North on 191 to Blanding, Northwest on 95 to Hanksville, then finally West on 24 to Torrey, Utah.

Mark, both of your links are now available for viewing on my PC. Seth and I are NOT taking the Moki Dugway! Even though I now have 6K+ miles on Gisele our 2012 BMW K1600GT, this will be my first trip packing a passenger. Seth now weighs 200 lbs. and is 6' tall, I don't want to pack a big teenager (14) on a long dirt road yet!