Crossing into Mexico at Laredo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripperMike

Old Yeller - Thanks for the Memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
This maybe a bit early, but planning a few rides for next year. One of which is a B2B from the MN/Canadian border to MX thru TX. I have no idea what crossing into Mexico will be like. Long n slow lines? Easy to get h@#! back outa there once I do what's needed?

Any info would be appreciated. Afterwards I figured it be a great chance to visit a couple brothers in the Houston and Dallas area (or visit the twisted sisters you guys talk about).

Thnx

Mike

Once you get past Freer not much out there but a east bound check point @ FM 2050 until you hit Laredo. I don't believe you need a passport if your are visiting the border zone. I haven't been across the border since 9/11. So you may need check for required documents. Just be diligent about your own security.

Twisted sisters is a nice run, I have done it 3 times, but they have always been during low traffic times, two of them in the middle of the week that is the best time.

Some recent links to articles.

https://www.mcallen-news.com/tag/nuevo-laredo/

https://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/03/news/la-trb-nuevo-laredo-warning-20110703

This maybe a bit early, but planning a few rides for next year. One of which is a B2B from the MN/Canadian border to MX thru TX. I have no idea what crossing into Mexico will be like. Long n slow lines? Easy to get h@#! back outa there once I do what's needed?

Any info would be appreciated. Afterwards I figured it be a great chance to visit a couple brothers in the Houston and Dallas area (or visit the twisted sisters you guys talk about).

Thnx

Mike
I did the MNLD Rider B2B in '04 crossing in Laredo there was little wait getting into Mexico. Coming back was a fairly long line but you pay a toll on the bridge coming back, that's your stop receipt so the wait in line is off the clock. Or you can just see for yourself here and check the time of day and day of week you plan to cross.

The border patrol personnel on both sides love to bake cakes, so fill several ziplock bags with a combination of baking soda, powdered sugar, and flour. Be sure to take a lot with you because there are several guards on both sides who will be looking forward to your gift. :huh:

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:00 AM

The border patrol personnel on both sides love to bake cakes, so fill several ziplock bags with a combination of baking soda, powdered sugar, and flour. Be sure to take a lot with you because there are several guards on both sides who will be looking forward to your gift.

Sounds like a great idea. But you know how much the Canadiens love to bake too. Probably not much left after they get their hands on it first.

But on that same note, perhaps I could also pack along a big hefty bag of grass sprigs...you know how they love to landscape.

SkooterG, on 05 September 2011 - 10:18 PM, said:

You'll be fine - just bring a bullet-proof vest with ya.

+1, Gunny! 3 most dangerous crossings across entire Estados Unidos-Mexico border are in this order: Ciudad Juarez, Tijuana and Nuevo Laredo! Mas Suerte, you'll need the luck!

Honestly I have very little desire to cross into Mexico and am incline to think that the crossings you didn't mention Don most likely aren't much better. However I can't get credit for this ride if I try to fly my bike into Cancun.

Hey Mike,

I used to go to Laredo/Nuevo Laredo quite often back in the 90s and it was a quite nice place. We used to gingerly walk around the city for hours eating and shopping at the flea markets. Seems to have changed a lot in 15 years, but good luck, it's probably not that bad.

SkooterG, on 05 September 2011 - 10:18 PM, said:

You'll be fine - just bring a bullet-proof vest with ya.

+1, Gunny! 3 most dangerous crossings across entire Estados Unidos-Mexico border are in this order: Ciudad Juarez, Tijuana and Nuevo Laredo! Mas Suerte, you'll need the luck!

Honestly I have very little desire to cross into Mexico and am incline to think that the crossings you didn't mention Don most likely aren't much better. However I can't get credit for this ride if I try to fly my bike into Cancun.
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=140435 Dear TripperMike, I ride into Mexico a lot and I routinely lead three to four group trips South of the Border each year for the FJR Forum and the AZ Beemers BMW Club. We last went to San Carlos - Banamichi in April, rode Mexico's Copper Canyon last November and the FJR's and BMW's are riding to Puerto Penasco, Sonora Estado this coming October. Here is my recommendation to you: Cross at Piedras Negras - Eagle Pass, Texas 60 miles Northwest of Nuevo Laredo. I assure you that this is indeed a safe and easy border crossing site.

Why do I run scared of Nuevo Laredo? A decade ago I went with Pancho Villa Moto Tours, now Moto-Discovery, to Central Mexico for New Year's in San Miguel de Allende; an incredible 10 day run on amazingly beautiful and scenic roads. However, our group crossed over into Mexico the day after Christmas; and, this was the day that the Zetas Cartel executed the Nuevo Laredo Police Chief. They cut his head off and placed it on the steps of City Hall and put his corpse in the Ciudad Jardin (Town Garden). Riding past seeing a head covered with a bloody towel and a body covered with a bloody sheet caused me to cross Nuevo Laredo off of my border crossing list!

If you need any first person and hands on Mexico advice please feel free to contact me at anytime: 1-480-440-4666 or [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Don, I'll keep that in mind. Would be foolish to not accept insight that comes from such an experience. I tried to route (using my STUPID DeLorme map program) thru Eagle Pass, but it wouldn't do it. Kept routing me in a roundabout way.

BentAero....freaking sobering article. I've read in the past about the troubles going on down there in Mexico, but that one certainly drove the message in to avoid Nuevo Laredo.

So, Eagle Pass it'll be. Besides judging by the map, that last stretch from the interstate to the border looks much more interesting.

At first I thought perhaps I started this thread a bit early, glad I didn't put it off. Trying to go for the gold on this one, gotta plan for the fewest hitches possible.

Thanks for the input Gents.

Mike