#1 Blue Crab

Blue Crab

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

I am trying to get a brake light modulator to work on my '07 FJR. Not having any luck.

My first attempt was with the Vizi-Tec "SupaBrake" module. For some reason it won't work. No brake light at all with the module installed. Tried two different modules. Ended up returning for refund.

My second attempt was with a "36 mode universal brake light flasher/strober". I wired it up and it too won't work properly on my bike. It flashes/strobes like it's supposed to, but the delay function doesn't work. I tried the module powered by a 12VDC power supply and it works perfectly. Strange.

At this point I'm convinced that there's something strange with my bike's brake light circuit. When I put a volt meter across the brake light (yellow) wire and ground, I'm seeing +8 VDC on the brake like circuit with brakes OFF, and +12 VDC on the circuit with the brakes ON. What's up with that?

I spoke to the manufacturer of the SupaBrake and he says that it appears to be an impedance issue. He says that the bike must use an open-collector (FET) instead of a relay and that's why I'm seeing the +8 VDC. And it appears that this is why I'm not able to get any of the brake light modulators to work on my bike.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Edited by Blue Crab, 06 September 2011 - 07:20 AM.

2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2002 Ducati Monster 620 i.e. Dark

#2 Pepperell

Pepperell

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Bike: 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:48 AM

Sure fire but expensive cure: Install a trailer brake light converter/isolator, about $50 bux Amazon.

On the good side, installing a hitch and pulling a trailer would be easier...
Posted ImagePosted Image
1974 Honda CB200, 1979 Yamaha XS750 std, 2004 FJR1300
Si Non Oscillas, Noli Tintinnare
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

#3 mcatrophy

mcatrophy

Mine's a 2014 FJR1300AS

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts
  • Bike: 2014ES (Gen III) World

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:54 AM

I am trying to get a brake light modulator to work on my '07 FJR. Not having any luck.

My first attempt was with the Vizi-Tec "SupaBrake" module. For some reason it won't work. No brake light at all with the module installed. Tried two different modules. Ended up returning for refund.

My second attempt was with a "36 mode universal brake light flasher/strober". I wired it up and it too won't work properly on my bike. It flashes/strobes like it's supposed to, but the delay function doesn't work. I tried the module powered by a 12VDC power supply and it works perfectly. Strange.

At this point I'm convinced that there's something strange with my bike's brake light circuit. When I put a volt meter across the brake light (yellow) wire and ground, I'm seeing +8 VDC on the brake like circuit with brakes OFF, and +12 VDC on the circuit with the brakes ON. What's up with that?

I spoke to the manufacturer of the SupaBrake and he says that it appears to be an impedance issue. He says that the bike must use an open-collector (FET) instead of a relay and that's why I'm seeing the +8 VDC. And it appears that this is why I'm not able to get any of the brake light modulators to work on my bike.

If you've disconnected the normal brake lights, your issue may be that the wire connects to the ABS computer, which (I am guessing) puts out a low current sense to see if the brake light is there. In that case you will read this sense voltage on your meter, and it will presumably upset your modulator.

Maybe a relay switched by the brake line, its contacts switching 12V to your modulator.

mcatrophy
2014 FJR1300AS
2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonneville '55 Tiger Cub
Some of my FJRForum contributions
My web site

#4 Blue Crab

Blue Crab

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

Maybe a relay switched by the brake line, its contacts switching 12V to your modulator.

Yeah, I thought about doing that too... install a simple 12V relay... but then I'd have to run a new wire to the battery (or pick up +12 VDC from somewhere else) to power the bulbs. Maybe I'll end up doing that... but I hate adding complexity.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2002 Ducati Monster 620 i.e. Dark

#5 ionbeam

ionbeam

2 FUN

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,882 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:07 AM

If you've disconnected the normal brake lights, your issue may be that the wire connects to the ABS computer, which (I am guessing) puts out a low current sense to see if the brake light is there. In that case you will read this sense voltage on your meter, and it will presumably upset your modulator.

^^^^^ Good answer. You may end up having to add a second brake relay just to signal your modulator that the brake is on.

Though rare, sometimes in a dual filament bulb one filament fails then the broken end of the filament flops over and shorts to the adjacent filament which could cause the +8 volts.
"It’s a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson

#6 azitlies

azitlies

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:12 AM

If I'm understanding you correctly, it *sounds* like a simple Hyper-lite setup should do the trick? Have these (with license plate bracket) on my 08 fjr and prior ST1300.

Pretty easy install, not expensive, work very very well, day and *especially* night.

Sorry if this is of no help to you now... but they are great... maybe time to reconsider?

#7 Drew

Drew

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:32 AM

I tried to order a Supabrake through Eastern Beavere and was told that the mfg doesn't make one compatible for the FJR - at least an '07, which is what I've got. That is probably the issue with the Supabrake so I wouldn't blame the bike in this case.

I installed a set of Hyperlites on my bike, fairly simple thing to do, I have the 3-way set, brake, running and turn signals.
I'm not greatly impressed, but they function as advertised, they just seem so .... small.

#8 Patriot

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,152 posts
  • Bike: 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

they just seem so .... small bright

Posted Image
Mike in Nawlins' ..... 2004.5 FJR 1300 Silver Bullet "Isabella" in Nawlins' ..... Darksider #53
IBA# 42430 . my pics - FLICKR CLICKY HERE and New Orleans Ride Captain; Patriot Guard Riders; www.patriotguard.org
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 jwhite518

jwhite518

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

Get a Hyperlite. It works.

#10 Bounce

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,010 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

My Hyper-Light install from some years back.

http://www.fjr-tips....yper/hyper.html

Still working great!
Ft. Worth, TX, IBA #288
FJR-Tips.org
A.B.M.

#11 DeltaKappaZeta

DeltaKappaZeta

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Bike: 2011 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Yeah, I thought about doing that too... install a simple 12V relay... but then I'd have to run a new wire to the battery (or pick up +12 VDC from somewhere else) to power the bulbs. Maybe I'll end up doing that... but I hate adding complexity.

So what did you end up doing?

I'm thinking of getting the same unit because I like the feature set compared to other units.

Mabye some pix of your install if possible?

Many Thanks
Dan

Not all those who wander are lost. - JRR Tolkien

VisitedProvincesMap.jpg   

#12 bramfrank

bramfrank

BramFrank

• Members +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Bike: 2014ES (Gen III) World

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

You might want to consider doing something similar to what I did for my bike:

http://www.fjrforum....howtopic=128806
Posted Image Posted Image - Yep, TWICE!!

"FJR Owners" is the largest group on Facebook dedicated to the FJR. Visit by clicking the link and join us there.

#13 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,900 posts
  • Bike: 2014ES (Gen III) N. America

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

+1 - Hyperlights are wimpy. Get a nice bright red TIR2 or LIN3 (or two) and wire a flasher to that bad boy.

BTW - Flashing the regular incandescent brake lamps doesn't work for shit. BTDT <_<.
The light bulb is too slow to illuminate to be effective at getting any attention. That's where the LEDs come in strong.

-Fred W                 nerd.gif    <----  (Click me!)      We're just getting started...    VisitedStatesMapIcon.jpg

#14 HotRodZilla

HotRodZilla

I've Been Warned!!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,822 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

+1 - Hyperlights are wimpy. Get a nice bright red TIR2 or LIN3 (or two) and wire a flasher to that bad boy.

BTW - Flashing the regular incandescent brake lamps doesn't work for shit. BTDT <_<.
The light bulb is too slow to illuminate to be effective at getting any attention. That's where the LEDs come in strong.

Agree on the flashing rear accessory lights. I use a Whelen LED strobe that works awesome.

I also have TailBlazer lights installed in lieu of my rear brake lights. They flash fast and slow as time goes. They are really nice too.

I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"
- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

"Never Kick A Fresh Turd On A Hot Day."

-Harry S Truman

#15 k1oj

k1oj

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

I have experienced exactly the same results with the Vizi-Tec on my 2007. I have 3 separate units from them all wired differently and all fail to give brake light. I am returning them. I took one with me to a tech day and tried it on an '08 and it worked fine. I think there is something different about the 2007 brake circuit. :angry:
Owen k1oj & Margaret k5msq
Houston Tx
2007 FJR
IBA 49988

#16 Alexi

Alexi

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Did no one suggest, "tap the brakes when you stop" yet?! Every time I stop or slow down, I pulse my front brake lever enough to make it turn on and off. Free and works EVERY time. I also pulse it when I'm at a stoplight and another car is coming up behind me. Very easy habit to get into, and it's easily transferred from bike to bike....

Alexi

#17 FB1

FB1

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

FWIW, I have used the VisiStop from Comagination. 3 different units installed on on 3 different bikes - Honda Magna, Suzuki Savage, and 2008 FJR and I've never experienced a problem with them working whatsoever. The product is not fancy but it is cheap ($29), it's potted to avoid moisture damage, and it works. Their headlight modulators also have worked quite well for me.

Just to be sure...I went out to the garage and checked...the VisiStop is tapped into the yellow wire running along the left side of the riders seat storage. Sounds like that's the same wire you are tapped in to?
2005 Kawasaki Z750S
2008 Yamaha FJR1300
1998 Honda Magna V4 VF750
2000 Suzuki Savage LS650

#18 TomInCA

TomInCA

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts
  • Bike: 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Just to make it easy. The brilliant 3 LED strobe can be a $38 Galls Surface light, which is the same as the Whelen TIR3. Coupled with a Universal Brake Light Flasher/Stober, you won't be missed. The universal flasher will also modulate your tail lights, but I only use it on the LEDs. There are 36 flash patterns, and you want to set the LED to steady (no flash), then use the controller to create the legal flash pattern, fast or slow. The flasher is extremely small .(1/2" x 1/2" x 1/16") and easy to install. I use the Galls red LEDs on my bike, and it is visible for miles.

Posted Image

beestrike.jpg

I ride an FJR. I don't need no stinkin' trailer.

#19 El Toro Joe

El Toro Joe

FYYFF

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,636 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

I have the Whelen TIR3 w/flasher...works great...very easy install.

Take the long way home VisitedStatesMap-2-1.jpgnc_camping_final.gifEOM11signaturegraphic50x100.pngSEOhioRamble1.gifEOM2012Signature.png

#20 HotRodZilla

HotRodZilla

I've Been Warned!!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,822 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

I have the Whelen TIR3 w/flasher...works great...very easy install.

Yup...Here's the link to the light I have mounted on my bike. It is below my license plate and above the rear refelctor.

SouthWest Public Safety: SWPS.com

I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"
- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

"Never Kick A Fresh Turd On A Hot Day."

-Harry S Truman