New TPMS Hit the Market

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this thread at adventure rider........ https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16831987#post16831987

Link to manufacturer website found here..... https://www.orangetpmsusa.com/aftermarket-products/motorcycle-tpms/

Anyone have any experience with it?
Thanks for pointing this out Tesla. I have no experience with this Orange Electronics product, but it's good to hear that new TPMS alternatives are being introduced, since Bendix withdrew their SmarTire product from the market a few years ago. Couple of questions:

1. Read the owner's manual for the Orange Electronic M202, and it shows a "hi pressure warning level" preset to 44 psi, with a user-settable range of 38 - 49 psi. If this setting in terms of cold inflation pressure adjusted for temperature, then that's great. If it's an absolute pressure, then I wonder if it would lead to false positives? A hot summer day across the western desert can easily see the internal tire temperature swing from 65 or 70 degrees in the morning (cold inflation) to 150 degrees or more that afternoon (2 up, zipping down the road). This would show as an 8 or 9 psi rise in tire pressure, which might put the pressure above the settable hi pressure warning level (if it's not temperature adjusted). Hypothetically.

2. As you pointed out on the adventure rider forum, this product would seem to preclude installing right angle valve stems on the bike. And while that's kind of a bummer in an FJR application, the trade off is that you'd have to manually check your tire pressure less often.

3. If I understood the manual correctly, you can have the receiver display pressure, temperature, or alternate between both. But it doesn't sound like it can show the temperature adjusted tire pressure though, which leaves you having to do the math in your head. As in trying to answer the question, "Gee, it says 49 Psi in the rear tire. Am I loosing any air, or is that the right pressure for the temperature it shows?"

Now all of the above is just nit-picking, and I would think this unit should be a safety plus to have on any bike, even given a nit or two. The "thumbs up" features are that,

• it's internally mounted - accurate temperature - tamper resistant - valve integrity not compromised, and
  • its receiver appears to be weatherproof.

What's not to like? ;-) Good find!

1. Read the owner's manual for the Orange Electronic M202, and it shows a "hi pressure warning level" preset to 44 psi, with a user-settable range of 38 - 49 psi. If this setting in terms of cold inflation pressure adjusted for temperature, then that's great. If it's an absolute pressure, then I wonder if it would lead to false positives? A hot summer day across the western desert can easily see the internal tire temperature swing from 65 or 70 degrees in the morning (cold inflation) to 150 degrees or more that afternoon (2 up, zipping down the road). This would show as an 8 or 9 psi rise in tire pressure, which might put the pressure above the settable hi pressure warning level (if it's not temperature adjusted). Hypothetically.
Hopefully its just the accuracy that is compromised above 49 psi in which case I wouldn't care.....as long as it doesn't damage the unit. I would think there would be a warning in the owners manual if there was.

Hopefully its just the accuracy that is compromised above 49 psi in which case I wouldn't care.....as long as it doesn't damage the unit. I would think there would be a warning in the owners manual if there was.
Ah, right! It's only spec'd to 50 psi max pressure. Makes sense. I think the old SmarTire systems were good to 78 psi.

I just ordered one from Amazon. I'll post results when I get it installed.

Looking around their web site, this is a pretty interesting combination (though not available here yet, though they have a GPS/TPMS combo available for autos): Garmin with TPMS

garmin-gps-tpms.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered one from Amazon. I'll post results when I get it installed.

Looking around their web site, this is a pretty interesting combination (though not available here yet, though they have a GPS/TPMS combo available for autos): Garmin with TPMS

garmin-gps-tpms.png
Kevin, are you not worried about their maximum psi of 49 and what happens when we go over?

I've e-mailed tech support about this issue.

Barry

Got the following response today from Conner at Orange Electronics:

> Barry -

Thanks for your interest in our motorcycle TPMS. When exceeding 49psi on the 50psi units, the monitor will show lines " - - " where the pressure should read out and change from a blue display to a red display (indicating a breech of a warning level).

Though, what you may be more interested in is our updated motorcycle unit with monitoring capabilities up to 74psi and the capability to adjust individual warning levels for the front and rear tires. After learning about issues like yours when releasing the product in June, we developed the higher pressure unit that will be ready to ship later next week (you have good timing). I will add you to the '70psi list' and shoot you an e-mail when the units are indeed ready to ship.

Thanks,

Connor

I wrote to them about using the toms with a sealant product - Ride-on. Ride-on claims no damage will occur.

Connor wrote back quickly to say they believed that the Orange toms should be compatible. He suggested I try it, and if it failed, they would refund. If it works, they would like to know as well.

I'm due for fresh rubber this spring, so I'll probably give it a try.

This looks like a pretty good system, especially with the higher pressure range and individually programmable limits.

But... In the owners manual it indicates an expected battery life of 3 years on the sending unit, but then infers that the sending unit must be replaced. i.e. no replaceable batteries.

How much are replacement sending units going to be in 3 years?

Looks like they are $53 each now. So $106 plus shipping every 3 years.

Will this outfit still be around in 3 years to sell you a replacement?

Can't they make it with replaceable batteries? Maybe start up a trade-in program and refurbish them?

And of course, when the batteries do die, it'll mean waiting till that tire wears out before you're going to want to replace it since it is inside the tire.

I wish the GPS / TPMS combo had better reviews. Even if it isn't water proof I would be tempted. It is only $20.00 or so more than the TPMS only unit. Nice to see there is another TPMS option on the market.

yabbut...

The GPS would have to be on all the time to see the TPMS monitor. As with many "bundled" units, I'd prefer having the dedicated display for the TPMS.

And that GPS is a pretty lowly featured unit even for a car.

I was thinking of the GPS as the third one I would have on the bike for use during rallies and IBA rides. If it was less than a full featured unit that would be OK, especially for $20.

Their new unit should be able to monitor upto 74 psi as was mentioned earlier and I just spoke with Connor and he confirmed this as well. he also told me that they are updating their replacement price policy for when battery will die and ti should be around 24 bucks.

I will be removing my 90 degree valves and installing this as soon as my first batch arrives.

From everything that I have found and speaking with Connor this are exactly what Smart Tire used to be i.e. in the way it works. And considering that I LOVED SmartTire TPMS I am sure this will be just as good if not better.

That sounds very good, and if they get a battery trade-in program going this will be up near the top of my Christmas wish list.
Yes, they will. I was assured of that and stressed out that at 100+ to replace a battery is a breaking point for many customers.

That sounds very good, and if they get a battery trade-in program going this will be up near the top of my Christmas wish list.
Yes, they will. I was assured of that and stressed out that at 100+ to replace a battery is a breaking point for many customers.
Ask them if they have considered a 90 degree option for the valve stems, after using 90 degree stems on my FZ1 and planning to install them on my FJR at the next tire change, I would never want to go back to straight valve stems....

Ask them if they have considered a 90 degree option for the valve stems, after using 90 degree stems on my FZ1 and planning to install them on my FJR at the next tire change, I would never want to go back to straight valve stems....
I did and was told that they have evaluated it and for now not going this route as it will add cost.

Main reason for 90 degree valves and why people have been installing them, me included, is to be able to easily check tire pressure. Well, with this unit the only time you need to get there is if you need to add pressure. How often does it happen?

I will be removing my Italian 90 degree bling bling :) to install this unit. This year I think I only had to add air a couple of times, so i am not going to miss those 90 degree valves all so they do provide major bling considering that I had Gold valves installed :)

BTW. all units that are available on the market now are an older units with lower threshold. new units will be available in couple of weeks. Old units are still good for mostly sport bikes that have lower pressure settings.

Got the Orange Electronics TPMS and took it to the dealer today to have it installed. Rear was fine but the front was a no go. The front rim is narrower and it has a steeper curvature in the rim than the rear which prevented the sensor from laying flat and not making a good seal and therefore leaking air. They could have built it up with rubber grommets but it would make the stem to short coming out of the rim which would make it difficult to stick an air chuck on it. I called Connor at Orange Electronics and he was stumped. Said that he had not had any negative feedback from FJR owners.

Are rim sizes universal? If our front rim size is 17M/C × MT5.50 does that mean if a Honda ST1300 had the same rim it would be the same dimensions?