Looking at getting an FZ6R

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRGuy

FJR Rally Addict! :D
Reaction score
... but as usual, prices are stupid in Canuckistan. :(

Any 'mericans (in reasonable riding distance) know of a dealer with a 2011 Copper FZ6R still on the floor? I hear there are good cash-to-dealer incentives down there. Anyone know anything about that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will check the local (Kelowna) dealer tomorrow to see if it is still there. Wife has a black 2009 that I love to steal for the twisties! :yahoo:

My wife has the white with the "pink and black" graphics, 09. We live right next to one of the best twisty sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway, so I have run it up through there a few times. It runs great once it gets all reved up! Although it does make me miss the Fjr power, so I go straight back to the house, grab my bike and run it again. I would ride it more often for fun but, its got the pink thing going on. Im about 240 pounds, 6' tall. Lets just say "big boy", so when im on it I really dont stop! :ninja: . I could only imagine the looks I would get rolling up to the store hopping off that thing. :haha: :lol2: :rofl: . I love my FJR!!

Spoke to Kelowna Yamaha yesterday and acertained that the "discounts" are for the black,blue and yellow models only. In other words pre - copper models. :angry2:

My wife has a yellow 09 and it is a great bike. Push it to the higher revs and it will move along nicely. She loves it.

Very true! When you pass 7000 rpm, the whole manner of the bike changes and when you get in the 10K range, it is really very aggressive!. :yahoo:

Glad to see that it has positive reviews from members on this site.

"Looking at getting an FZ6R for the GF" wow...........it must be true love. Better than a ring.

Canadian FJR
Well, really using her as an excuse to add to the stable!
laugh.gif

And I never did understand the ring thing, why not "With this <insert useful item here>, I thee wed!"? (Not that I'll ever wed again.
blink.gif
)

Spoke to Kelowna Yamaha yesterday and acertained that the "discounts" are for the black,blue and yellow models only. In other words pre - copper models. :angry2:
A salesguy at a local Calgary dealer went to check on incentive on a 2011 Copper model and cam back with a discounted price. I don't know if it was a factory "discount" or just the dealer moving, but on the $8999 MSRP up here, the discounted price doesn't even come close to the $7600 MSRP in the US. Additionally, I've heard that there are $1K incentives in the US.

Can anyone in the US confirm this?

Barb seemed willing to part with hers when we last talked...
Barb doesn't have an FZ6R... it's an FZ6!

Her bike has lots of redeeming qualities; it is already outfitted with hard bags, well taken care of and the seller is trustworthy!
wink.gif

It is being considered as an option, but the FZ6R fits better, and if a new 2011 FZ6R can be had for little more than a 2006 FZ6 with lots o' miles, I'll go outta my way to make it happen.
smile.gif

(Not that Barb wants too much for her bike, I think she should easily be able to get what she wants out of it from the right buyer.)

Was in Kelowna Yamaha today to get my FJR back (sad story), but the FZ6R's are priced at $7877 plus doc fees and taxes. There may be room for negotiation????

FYI.

Was in Kelowna Yamaha today to get my FJR back (sad story), but the FZ6R's are priced at $7877 plus doc fees and taxes. There may be room for negotiation????

FYI.
Just talked with a sales guy there and this is for the 2009 models that they have still in stock. :(

Found a new 2011 in florida for $6788 and, a little more local, in Montana for $7390. I'll work on the MT dealer! :D

Is there a particular reason that you must get a new 2011?

A couple months ago, my wife got a used 2009 in nearly perfect condition with about 1700 miles, a tank bag, cover, battery tender and 5 year extended warranty for only $4500. Check craigslist, ebay and cycletrader.com for bikes asking around $5000 or less and talk them down a bit.

new_fz6r.jpg

I'll add to the positive reviews. Its ergonomics are almost identical to the FJR (sport-touring rather than sport), it handles very well, and has very usable power. It doesn't feel useless in the lower half of the RPM range like some 600's do. We plan to add some Givi hard bags and turn it into a mini FJR :)

Just be aware that it is nothing like a 600cc sportbike, like the R6 or FZ6, in regards to power. It's plenty fast, but we're talking 0-60mph closer to 4 seconds rather than just over 3 seconds. This will give you an idea of how it accelerates:

acceleration.png

Is there a particular reason that you must get a new 2011?

A couple months ago, my wife got a used 2009 in nearly perfect condition with about 1700 miles, a tank bag, cover, battery tender and 5 year extended warranty for only $4500. Check craigslist, ebay and cycletrader.com for bikes asking around $5000 or less and talk them down a bit.

2009s is where I started. Unfortunately new (unused) 2009s run for more (up in my neck of the woods) than the MSRP of new 2011s (south of the border) and selection of used 2009s is limited and prices range from mid 5000s to low 6000s (again, up here.) For the price differential, I'd rather have a new 2011 from South of the border. If I could find a low mileage 2009, within a reasonable riding distance, in an acceptable color, under $5000, I may very well jump at it... even though importing used bikes is a bit more of a hassle.

Thanks for the review. The FZ6R looks good on your wife! ... or should that be the other way round?
wink.gif

Jeff,

THere is a 2011 for sale of the FZ6R website for $5700 and next to no miles! Appears to be you color as well. Guy live in Sacremento,Ca.

new_fz6r.jpg

I'll add to the positive reviews. Its ergonomics are almost identical to the FJR (sport-touring rather than sport), it handles very well, and has very usable power. It doesn't feel useless in the lower half of the RPM range like some 600's do. We plan to add some Givi hard bags and turn it into a mini FJR :)

Just be aware that it is nothing like a 600cc sportbike, like the R6 or FZ6, in regards to power. It's plenty fast, but we're talking 0-60mph closer to 4 seconds rather than just over 3 seconds. This will give you an idea of how it accelerates:
This is the bike I'm thinking about getting for my wife. Your wife looks to have a similar build & height to mine (how tall is your wife?). I like the fact that she's flat footed and has a more upright riding posture and isn't hunched over the tank like a true sportbike.

Do you lower the bike or is this stock height?

Did you ever end up getting the Givi bags? If so can you post a picture of them on the bike?

What type of total tank mileage between fill ups does she typically get?

87 octane ok for this bike?

Anything else I should know about this bike?

FJRguy, if you are serious about this send me a PM with vital information (name address phone email). I was able to get a 2012 FJR out the door for $500 over cost, and my contact will at least give me a competitive cost for a FZ6R for your consideration. Sacramento in range for you?

Just a thought...you may wanna check out the Suzuki GSX650F...great bike, very similar to the Yamaha, but a little less expensive. I have one that I use as a daily commuter, and really like it. I kinda think of it as a mini FJR.

FJRguy, if you are serious about this send me a PM with vital information (name address phone email). I was able to get a 2012 FJR out the door for $500 over cost, and my contact will at least give me a competitive cost for a FZ6R for your consideration. Sacramento in range for you?
Uh...Tom...carefully hidden under his avatar: Calgary, AB., which means he'd have to import it.....