2012 FJR1300 information released

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we are lucky Yamaha may continue to make these bikes for a few more years...

...Yeah, I know that we all love them, but there just aren't enough of us to make it worthwhile for them.
I've been thinking the same thing for the last year, especially since there are so many used feejers available. I was a little surprised that there was a 2012 model, but glad to see it.
Have to admit seeing how much the FJR hasn't changed for so long the "what if they stop production" crossed my mind. Needless to say I'm very happy to see they are still building them.

If we are lucky Yamaha may continue to make these bikes for a few more years.

It's more likely that they will just drop this albatross altogether. You have to look at this from a total market perpective, not just your own.

Who wants a motorcycle that weighs well over 600 lbs, gets the fuel mileage of a small car and goes through an expensive set of tires every 5k miles?

Yeah, I know that we all love them, but there just aren't enough of us to make it worthwhile for them.
Oh yeah, and the life saving S10s are flying off the floors...Then again, maybe not.
Hmmm...

What do you suppose the downsides of the Super Tenare might be?

Too heavy? Check. Poor fuel mileage? Check. Goes through expensive tires quickly? Check.

Seems like the S10 is an FJR in a slightly different wrapper!

If we are lucky Yamaha may continue to make these bikes for a few more years.

It's more likely that they will just drop this albatross altogether. You have to look at this from a total market perpective, not just your own.

Who wants a motorcycle that weighs well over 600 lbs, gets the fuel mileage of a small car and goes through an expensive set of tires every 5k miles?

Yeah, I know that we all love them, but there just aren't enough of us to make it worthwhile for them.
Oh yeah, and the life saving S10s are flying off the floors...Then again, maybe not.
Hmmm...

What do you suppose the downsides of the Super Tenare might be?

Too heavy? Check. Poor fuel mileage? Check. Goes through expensive tires quickly? Check.

Seems like the S10 is an FJR in a slightly different wrapper!
Hahahahahaha...Crap! I hadn't thought of that. However, I donno if its as much the different wrapper issue as it is "late to the game" issue.

Like it or not, BMW really does have the big adventure bike market cornered. But now, people are going for the mid-weight 800s like the GS and the Triumph. Even there, Triumph started out strong, but I haven't heard much since the post debut euphoria. Same with the S10.

I'm wondering if the economy is really playing that much Hell with sales, or if the set icons are just keeping their market share as people are not wanting to wait for accessories to come out and get cheaper. In the mid size market, there's not much price difference, and they are a LOT cheaper than the 1200s.

Honestly, I still see tons of cruisers running around, but less new crotch rockets than in the past. I hardly ever see ST bikes, have never seen a Ducati Multi, a Triumph 800, or an S10. Maybe used bikes is where its at for a while...I guess I'm glad I'm not really involved in all of it depending on a paycheck.

I will say that our local BMW dealer has been very happy the last few months with new bikes selling like crazy. Maybe its a trend, or maybe its just his reputation, but I don't think they're taking the hit Triumph and Yamaha were hoping to create.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was contemplating replacing my 05 fjr I must admit that I was a little nervous about what the future might hold regarding the 12 fjr. Went ahead and pulled the trigger anyway back in august on a new Kawasaki C-14. Now that I see this I am a little relieved that yamaha didnt set me on my ass by offering up some trick stuff like inverted forks,added useable electronics,6speed, slipper clutch etc etc.

My 14 doesnt have enough miles on it yet for me to brag or dog it. But at least as I said Yamaha didnt give me a swift kick in my ass by jumping too soon.

I guess if given the option of a 11/12 c-14 or the same old same FJR I would go with the 14 just to enjoy the difference and updated items on the bike.
I owned a 2008 C14ABS from 2009 to 2011. Not the quality of a Yamaha. I was fortunate enough to have owned a 2007 FJR before the C14 and realized the difference in quality. The glove box on my C14 was difficult to open from the start. The dealership made adjustments but it didn't work. Had a recall to have a cover put on a rear brake spring. After a few thousand miles the front brakes started grabbing real bad. Lots and lots of C14 riders were having the same issues. Kawasaki replaced the rotors and the issue went away for a while but started back after about 3,000 more miles. Got rid of the bike. I looked on the C14 forum a few weeks ago and owners of new bikes still having the front rotor warping issues. I opted for a Royal Star Venture last year, but that was a big mistake. Too much bike for me. Once on an FJR nothing else will do for me. Just bought a 2012 FJR Monday and put a 100 miles on it yesterday before the rain came. I love to ride this bike. It is just so much fun and so easy to handle compared to the cumbersome RSV.

Orbit

Did Yamaha just begin installing the grip warmers now that the AE has been

discontinued? Or was that done earlier?

And. watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a5_SgiToAM

shows something very different from all the FJRs I've seen.

Not only the FJRs, but any bike I've ever seen/owned. Unless it was wrecked.

Can you see what that the difference is? And why?

Hint: look closely near :36.

I'm guessing "why are the speedo and tacho indicating speed/rpms with no key in the ignition???

Doesn't surprise me....it's a Gen 2! :p :p :p

I'm guessing "why are the speedo and tacho indicating speed/rpms with no key in the ignition???

That's just a Gen2 trick, RadioHowie! HotRodZilla and the rest of the Gen2 pansies "advance" the speedo and tach to fool themselves that they can keep up with a Gen1!

You guys make me regret my order of a FJR, maybe I should cancel everything and stick with Honda. :huh:
You can relax TouringRider, we never pick on the Canuckistanis. Unless of course it is FJR Forum "Dogpile Friday", which it happens to be. Gen1's Rule, Gen2's drool!

You guys make me regret my order of a FJR, maybe I should cancel everything and stick with Honda. :huh:

No-No.... Don't do that, it's probably just an extension of the mod that retains the windshield position on shut down. Yeah, that's it, after this mod all the gauges retain their highest levels from the previous ride, upon shut down. Now there's a useful option!

Brother, I'm with ya! I was 100% Kawasaki until 2005, when I drank the Kool-Aid and bought this FJRPOS!!!

I'm real partial to this from Big Red...

honda-scooter-1.jpg

Put a set of bags on 'er and hit the highway!!!

You can relax TouringRider, we never pick on the Canuckistanis. Unless of course it is FJR Forum "Dogpile Friday", which it happens to be. Gen1's Rule, Gen2's drool!
Don, you talkin' about "Mexicans in Sweaters"?

Brother, I'm with ya! I was 100% Kawasaki until 2005, when I drank the Kool-Aid and bought this FJRPOS!!!

I'm real partial to this from Big Red...

honda-scooter-1.jpg

Put a set of bags on 'er and hit the highway!!!

Don, you talkin' about "Mexicans in Sweaters"?
Yeah RadioHowie, here is an example of one of those Hosers right here! However, I have never ever have had a Mexican steal my beer before!

av-43.jpg

I contacted the 2012 FJR (video)owner:

Alcoa Good Times Kawasaki Yamaha

2019 Topside Road

Louisville, TN 37777

865-981-4444

https://www.alcoagoodtimes.com

And received a nice reply from Greg Scott who says it's caused

by battery disconnect, and will return to normal when the bike

is powered back up.

Thanks.

2019 Topside Road

Louisville, TN 37777

865-981-4444

is powered back up.

Thanks.
Honest to God...You didn't know that? Maybe you should buy a Honda. Take Howie and Don with you.

I guess I should've just read more carefully for your explanation, before asking the owner. <bg>

2019 Topside Road

Louisville, TN 37777

865-981-4444

is powered back up.

Thanks.
Honest to God...You didn't know that? Maybe you should buy a Honda. Take Howie and Don with you.

Too bad they can't all be silver! :rolleyes:

I'm loving my 2011. We'll be going in for the 600 mile service Friday. After that, it's "Katie bar the door!" we're going riding!

woo hoo!

Yamaha just released information on the 2012 FJR.

The big news?

Funny line in the description...""there's nothing more you could ever want to need."

Oh really Yamaha, I love my '08 but a new model might be in order someday to compete against far newer designs.

Well, maybe next year - as we keep saying.

It's Blue!

As in Cobalt blue. Same as the 2006 FJR. Available in November. MSRP now is $15,590. Only $100 more than last year! (Hey, blue paint must me cheap!) $400 more than 2010 model. Linky.

No other changes that I can see.

How underwhelming, even if expected.

img.jpg