EOM 2011 after action thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, had a great time! The best part is the people...no mater the site. It's always like a family reunion seeing everyone again. Thanks to the organizers for all their hard work in making it happen! :drinks: The routes were really great...especially 66 and 63 in Tn. :fan_1:
Let me know when you try that skull splitter if you like it!

First, thank you for all the comments. My hope is that this thread will be used by whoever takes the reigns for EOM 2012. I've gotten a lot of comments / questions as to where I'm going to take EOM next year; well, it's not mine to take. I would certainly consider throwing my name back in the hat, but I do not presume any type of ownership of this event.

I would like to see some suggestions for future locations put down here as well. The Asheville / Henderson NC looks promising, as well as Roanoke, VA.

On to the comments:

Suggestion: I think it'd be cool to have a BBQ arranged next year. I don't know what it would cost, or if the chosen facility will allow it, but nothing beats roasted pig.
This will need to be on the list of questions to ask prospective venues; will they allow outside catering or can they accommodate this type of meal at a reasonable cost per person.

Sorry that I have nothing constructive to add. BTW, the roads were GREAT!!!!!!!!
Oh, but you do have something to add. One of the many prerequisites of the EOM venue is that the roads have to be of acceptable quality.

It was all great. The only suggestion would be maybe pre-sign ups for routes.
AND

One thing that we did at NERDS this year that might help with the ride grouping was we set out blank ride sign up sheets each night so folks could volunteer to lead a small group ride
AND

Route signups > Thats pretty much the idea behind this tour. "Themed" routes aren't for everyone for sure, but we definitely had some great twisties to ride. We rode at a leisurely pace, appropriate for those two up.
This is something I would give serious consideration to. It could be done while registration is open each night (we had issue with registration because our stuff was locked up by the coordinator who went home before I got in for the day). I liked the idea behind the Bluegrass Distillery tour. It's a good way to get our and experience the local area.

maybe you stop scheduling this thing around my kid birthday.
We've got to figure out a way to get you and bustanut together…

And I like the roads around Lewisburg better than any other place I have ridden. Just my 2 cents.
Greg: I would have to second that notion; WV has some great roads.

My suggestions for change pretty much remain unchanged each year.

* Have the banquet/dinner on Friday evening, leaving Sat-Sun open for those who need two days to travel home and report to work on Monday.

* Schedule the event earlier in the year, at least every other year, so those with younger children can attend during summer break.
I think we could very easily shift the main banquet to Friday night. Just about all the attendees were present by Friday night; and change the lighter meal (bbq cookout) for Saturday night. I'm not sure about shifting the date to earlier in the year; but I know my daughter would love to come; her and Annette would be fighting over seat time, for certain!!

The alcohol / beer issue will be an isolated problem; it was location specific – nowhere else we've been has had this issue – KY is the only area I know that has dry counties. Jellico, TN was 31 miles south down I-75.

Roanoke Va. area has many good routes even some dirt roads near by.lol It is not a dry co. either.

Just saying

Jerry :rolleyes:

Although it was a great experience and I enjoyed it a lot, I suggest that we try another place next year. A place more like the Brier Inn in Lewisburg is perfect because it has the central parking lot for socializing, fuel right next door, restaurants, and other shopping very close, including beer. And I like the roads around Lewisburg better than any other place I have ridden. Just my 2 cents.

+1

That place is awesome!!!!

I don't think I ever heard a complaint about it other than not enough time to ride all the routes.

Considering the annual weather patterns of the South/Central Atlantic, maybe September is not the optimum time of year for EOM?

The Hurricane / Tropical Storm season means that it requires a great deal of luck to not get wet. I think we really lucked out this year only having to deal with a few soggy days.

It would make some sense to me to have EOM in the late spring (June?) and maybe CFR in the early Fall (September). Maybe those two groups should do a switcheroo? :unsure:

Being in a dry or wet county was not an issue...attendees were forewarned. Picked up what I wanted on the way in with no hassle. Gladly shared some beer with some new FJR firends...

I now have to do the Cracked Ice route to see if I can be the only one to finish it. I love adventure. :clapping:

I did WV on the way down and had never done KY before...so this was a fun introduction to the area. I definitely want to ride the area again whether EOM is here again or not. I loved Cumberland Falls! :yahoo:

I guess I'm easier than most, don't drink but do worry about others,

am happy to ride with others I trust, and check my AAA tour book and local brochures to play tourist. I agree staying in a cabin was a bit remote and inconveniate, but cost was split between 6 of us.

I thought it was all good and deeply appreciate all the planning and efforts put in.

Again, had a great time! The best part is the people...no mater the site. It's always like a family reunion seeing everyone again. Thanks to the organizers for all their hard work in making it happen! :drinks: The routes were really great...especially 66 and 63 in Tn. :fan_1:

Skull Slitter was pretty good...although a little strong. :crazy: It's a one and done for me. My favorite is still Rogue Dead Guy ale! :drinks: Thanks for letting me try it.

Skull Slitter was pretty good...although a little strong. :crazy: It's a one and done for me. My favorite is still Rogue Dead Guy ale! :drinks: Thanks for letting me try it.
If you like those, try the Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard. It has been berry berry good por me.

If you like those, try the Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard. It has been berry berry good por me.
+1 Thank you very much for sharing some of your Bastard Ale with Helen and I. Yum!

IMG_8218bsm.jpg

Heh, arrogant bastard is gooood stuff. I agree! Now I am hankering for some dead guy again though... Been a month since I drank my last one of those!

Thanks everyone for a great time! I'd echo Fred's few suggestions. Can't wait for next year! Chris (the Axeman) and I are still on the way home, we should get back tomorrow afternoon.