home safe and sound

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home safe and sound. Susan and I made it to Ocala after a late start Sunday. Hotel and a good meal then fell asleep rather quickly. Woke up and headed south to Fort Lauderdale. Super slab all the way but good weather although the skys looked bad. We were lucky and missed the rains every step of the way. Great roads at the EOM and Saturday was absolutly perfect. Nice to meet everyone and associate names with screen names. Everyone seemed to go out of their way to make sure everyone was happy and having a good time. Astrong tip of the helmet to the organizers for doing a fantastic job putting this event on. We will be back for the next oneandmany more after that.

It was nice to see Dolly in person, so to speak, I did no know she liked cigars. I even saw her Saturday morning having a cup of coffeee saying something like, " I did what with who, Barry is really gonna be pissed."

Home safe and sound. Susan and I made it to Ocala after a late start Sunday. Hotel and a good meal then fell asleep rather quickly. Woke up and headed south to Fort Lauderdale. Super slab all the way but good weather although the skys looked bad. We were lucky and missed the rains every step of the way. Great roads at the EOM and Saturday was absolutly perfect. Nice to meet everyone and associate names with screen names. Everyone seemed to go out of their way to make sure everyone was happy and having a good time. Astrong tip of the helmet to the organizers for doing a fantastic job putting this event on. We will be back for the next oneandmany more after that.

It was nice to see Dolly in person, so to speak, I did no know she liked cigars. I even saw her Saturday morning having a cup of coffeee saying something like, " I did what with who, Barry is really gonna be pissed."

Home safe no slab that 112 miles back to Georgetown turned into 230 miles of path finding fun only ran into gravel four times. Didn't have to turn around but three times(really big rocks & creek crossings). Missed my turn to check out a dirt road I found a few years ago but we did cross Ky. river on a ferry. Got home a little after 4 and my son was still smiling, think he's hooked big time. This was his first event & he says it won't be his last so maybe he will make it to EOM with me next year. If so I'll be riding my S10 thou one free ride was enough to set the hook. Had a great time see every one next year. :yahoo:

Pulled out of Cumberland Falls at 7am, and rode I75 to I71 to I90. OMFG. Shoot me. Boringest shit evah! Rolled into my brothers place around 10:30pm just North of Toronto after sitting at customs for 90 minutes. I was going to run all the way home, but the downtime at the border did me in.

Got home around 3:30pm today.

Mucho thanks to the organizers and my riding/beerhunter buddies, Moosehead, Ryan, Peter and Al.

Sadly, I think this spells the end of the riding season, at least the LD season for me. All the rest of the rides will be local until the white shit shows up.

Total tally, 4387km in 6 days and one weeping fork seal and probably a gallon of Simply Green to get the KY loon shit off my bike. Thanks Jeff.

Annie and I enjoyed great weather and good roads on the way home. Thanks to the folks who organized the EOM!

We arrived home around 5:00 today. We stayed over in Chambersberg, PA at A Country Inn & Suites nice place and quiet.

Note: I decided not to play bumper cars on the way home! :D

We had a great time and met some new folks. Thanks to all who put this all together, you did a great job! :drinks:

Dave & Ann

I'm home as of 6:45 this evening. I'm assuming that Sharon also made it since she's about 14ish miles from here & I got a text from her. An awesome weekend was had. I got to see old friends, meet new ones, tire kick with everyone & even got to drink some Canuckistan beer... thanks to my Canuck friends. Thanks Bungee & MEM.

Once again, I must say my mucho thanks to the organizers.

Back home in the Great White North. Weather radar looked a little iffy on Sunday and I was fighting a cold so I decided to slab it back up I75 but took some roads to the east at Lexington to miss Cincinnati and the Bengals crowd. Saw some quite spectacular horse farms along the way and was doing a mental calculation on how much money was sent on some of those stone fences and how many FJR's, WR's & Super Teneres I could buy with that money.

Spent the night in Mentor OH and then went over to Dwayne's shop to pick up a new cable for my Starcomm before heading back to Niagara Falls for a visit with my brother who is recovering from some serious leg surgery. I then headed for home and caught some of the infamous Toronto traffic on the 401 and had some bike issues when it started flashing shift error codes and would sit in neutral to matter what you do with the shifter. The only way to clear the error is to reboot ... shut the bike off completely and the restart. Not exactly what you what to be doing in the fast lane of the 401 but it was stop and go. The problem is intermittent and only occurs when the bike is hot. In these conditions the idle becomes somewhat erratic on occasion and if the idle gets over 1500 RPM I get a shift error code and the bike locks itself into neutral.

It happens rarely but it has happened before so I'm pulling the throttle body apart this winter since it appears the linkage is not fully returning to its stop on occasion.

Many thanks to the EOM staff for some great rides. I especially enjoyed the distillery tour and the Southwestern EggRolls ride was a blast. Also special thanks to WheatonFJR & Griff for allowing me to tag along inbetween SE Ohio Ramble and EOM. We found some truly great roads along the way that I would have never found on my own. Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got home about 5pm CDT. I almost got runover on 465 around Indy when an idgit 2 cars in front of me stopped dead on the Interstate when he got confused.

I had a great week....thanks for travelling along! :yahoo:

We almost got killed on 465 as well same day! Just as we came around to the west side the construction did a goofy split and confused a trucker hauling cars. He swerved hard and cut off a car. The car dove over as far as he could slaming on the brakes till he got to the concrete barrier. I almost tested the antilocks on the feej and was sure I was going to hit the car hard when the trailer brakes kicked in and we stopped just in time. The semi truck right next to us who was a partner car hauler with the other truck just stopped strait on and did not swerve. If he had followed his partner he would have crushed us into the cement barrier. But thanks to good reaction times by all involved everyone got out unscathed. It was darn scary though. Specially in all that rain. Gotta love them PR2's in the water for such a hard tire they did good this time.

I got home about 5pm CDT. I almost got runover on 465 around Indy when an idgit 2 cars in front of me stopped dead on the Interstate when he got confused.

I had a great week....thanks for travelling along! :yahoo:

We almost got killed on 465 as well same day! Just as we came around to the west side the construction did a goofy split and confused a trucker hauling cars. He swerved hard and cut off a car. The car dove over as far as he could slaming on the brakes till he got to the concrete barrier. I almost tested the antilocks on the feej and was sure I was going to hit the car hard when the trailer brakes kicked in and we stopped just in time. The semi truck right next to us who was a partner car hauler with the other truck just stopped strait on and did not swerve. If he had followed his partner he would have crushed us into the cement barrier. But thanks to good reaction times by all involved everyone got out unscathed. It was darn scary though. Specially in all that rain. Gotta love them PR2's in the water for such a hard tire they did good this time.
EXACT SAME SPOT. At the split. :(

...Also special thanks to WheatonFJR & Griff for allowing me to tag along inbetween SE Ohio Ramble and EOM. We found some truly great roads along the way that I would have never found on my own. Thanks guys.
It was great riding with you Bill. :clapping:

I never would have found those roads on my own either...just another advantage of knowing fellow FJR riders who share their own secret roads. :yahoo:

Brian E "MrFixitall" and I made it home to Tallahassee Sunday evening. Took mostly US highways and tried to stay off the slab as much as possible. Less than an hour from home and an hour after dark, we hit a pretty stiff thunderstorm with a lot of lightning. Just what you need at the end of a 12 hour riding day!

This was my first EOM and I had a ball. Thanks to all who put it together,

Home safe and sound last night (Monday) around 8:30 PM.

I was planning to ride out of Cumberland Falls with Jim and Iris at 7:00 but didn't wake up until 7:15. I was having too much fun socializing Saturday night and missed my usual early bedtime. Broke camp and got rolling at 8:00. I took mostly back roads. I don't know who Jenny Wiley was, but they built some nice roads around her state park. :)

I got to Elkins, WV around 4:30PM and got a room at the motel where I knew Jim and Iris would be staying. They showed up with Art (RoadRunner) and Dave (the guy with the ST1300) and we enjoyed a nice dinner together.

I had an excellent day on Monday trying to keep up with the other four riders who had a plan to get home without touching the slab. A very nice day's riding.

Ryan, Peter and I played around on the Snake and Rte 16 on Sunday and then slabbed it home yesterday. We had a great time and want to thank the organizers for all their hard work. It was Peter's first time riding "fun" roads and he said they were "unbelievably awesome!"

Mike

It was Peter's first time riding "fun" roads and he said they were "unbelievably awesome!"
I like both the boys, didn't complain as much as us old guys (okay, me). For sure they were squirming around some when the burn set in but they just kept the pace. Watch out for these two as they both seemed to be having a great time. Even hung over on Saturday morning.

I gotta say, for a complete newbie, Peter did fantastic even when running at a pace. But I did get a good laugh at him when it started raining in WV. With the steam and the stink coming off his bike he thought for sure he'd blown the rad or something. Musta been his first time riding in the rain!

Home safe last night. 950 miles in 15 hours. Awesome ride Saturday with LTR, Scoops, Jim and Mr. Bill. Much thanks to the organizers. Another great event.

Oh and Chris, righty tighty, lefty loosey, on those battery terminals. :winksmiley:

My pillion Josie, MEM and I rolled into Casa W at around 3:30PM yesterday, safe sound and a bit weary.

On Sunday morning we somehow got turned around and headed south . :huh: So we made the best of it ;) and rode east on the Cherry Cola Highway and made a stop at Deals Gap. Then rode Rte 28 on up to the beginning the BRP. Parkway on a warm fall Sunday was a parking lot, so we bailed out in Asheville and slabbed it up to Johnson City for the night. Stayed at the Jameson Inn off of I-26 exit 17. Highly recommended, especially with the rest area discount coupon. BTW - THis looked like it might be a good venue for an EOM type shindig.

Monday was a full day of slabbing it up I-81. Made it 600 miles from JoCy to just past the loverly Scranton, PA. Stopped at the Poconos Lakes Comfort Inn, exit 17 off I-84. This was also a bargain w/ the rest area coupons, and also recommended. The diner next door was OK, but not great and has no booze. :glare:

As we were turning from I-81 onto I-84 I slammed an unavoidable series of potholes going all the way across the lane. When I looked down later I realized that I had forgotten to fasten the strap around my RD (it was just on the RAM magnetic Power-Plate) and it was gone! Crapola!!

20 miles later when we pulled into the motel and I was moving the handle bars around I felt something weird. Looking down in front of the forks there was my missing Passport 8500!! Wahoo!! :yahoo: Bonus time!!

Yesterday we rolled a mix of back roads and slab, up through the Hudson Valley to run across Vermont and NH on Rte 7/9/101 to get us back to the barn by mid afternoon. MEM's taking a down day here today and then is headed out tomorrow to Ottawa for a family wedding there this weekend.

Although it was threatening to the entire way back, we never did get rained on at all. I'd say that was another great bonus, as the ride down was kind'a soggy.

sorry for late post...just woke up since drop dead sleep Sunday night... (just kiddin')

home safe Sunday at 3pm after leaving 4:30am - trip home to Nawlins' 700mi

all slab with 9 over the limit except the occasional rabbit run behind a faster vehicle

clearwater lights a great advantage in the dark

had a great time...mvette & burnspot forever feej peep friends, got to meet Turk, our cabinmate, and all the feej peeps, but nobody looked or recognized my bike.

seeing hot women riders including Scoops and MEM was a joyous bonus.

Riding the first day's loop in wet conditions with cota George and his family members Steve & Kyle.

Thanx to DJB Dean who made the cabin possible and affordable regardless of his being unable to attend because of an injured shoulder. My best wishes on his future surgery to repair it.

Best of all was the time with a hero's Dad. Jordan's Dad, Chris let me hang with him in the downtime. It was nothing less than special. And to observe the deep support of him from this community was such a moving experience.

The highest praise from a sailor s completely appropriate here for all, especially the planners & organizers: BRAVO ZULU to all

total excursion put 1800mi on Isabella

As we were turning from I-81 onto I-84 I slammed an unavoidable series of potholes going all the way across the lane.
That pot hole was there Sunday too. Stupid me was passing cars in the right lane on that entrance corner so I didn't even see what I crashed into. Ouch what an awful sound.

Got home about 2:00 this afternoon after taking a long, slow, twisty crawl back North with Cota George. I had 2775 miles on the clock when I pulled into the garage with about 250 of them being the BRP, 22 of them being the Dragon, unknown being the Cherry Cola as Fred calls it , and the rest being corkscrews and switchbacks.

Passing a car at around 90 on Rt 80 in PA my bike went from butter smooth to feeling like the front tire was completely out of balance. My first thought was that the band clamp on the smartire had snapped as has occurred on other bikes. Apparently that is the case because at low speed I can hear it thumping around in there....anybody have a spare smartire sensor they can part with?

We were witness to the aftermath of a pretty horrific accident on a back road in WV. A car topped a hill in the wet, must have lost control, struck and snapped a utility pole and flipped over crushing the roof just about flat to the doors. Only a miracle could have kept any of the occupants from being seriously injured or worse.

Great EOM, thank you to all the organizers