EOM 2011 Pictures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerGeek99

Yeah, it's a concrete corn cob. So?
Reaction score
Finally got all our pics organized and uploaded. Here are some of 'em.

Getting ready to leave home and it was raining a bit.

EOM_HiltonHead2011004.jpg

Crossing into Kentucky. Just down the road from here was a wicked nasty accident that had traffic all f'd up.

EOM_HiltonHead2011015.jpg

Our cabin at the park.

EOM_HiltonHead2011019.jpg

It was a dry county, but jwilly came prepared in his cage since, due to medical reasons, he wasn't riding.

EOM_HiltonHead2011020.jpg

A few of us hanging out on Friday night. Note the spots in the picture? That was due to the fog and the flash.

EOM_HiltonHead2011021.jpg

jwilly, Annette and Wayne (extrememarine).

EOM_HiltonHead2011023.jpg

Me likey beer.

EOM_HiltonHead2011024.jpg

Got up Saturday morning planning to ride with Gary (vabrzn) & Annie and Greg (geezer). It was kinda foggy.

EOM_HiltonHead2011028.jpg

Up at the main lodge, people were milling about getting ready to roll.

EOM_HiltonHead2011030.jpg

Don, another Ohioan and attending his first EOM, asked if he could ride with us, so now we had 4 bikes in our group.

EOM_HiltonHead2011031.jpg

Gary & Annie getting ready to roll.

EOM_HiltonHead2011032.jpg

The roads did not suck, but they were damp and we had cold tires, so we took it easy.

EOM_HiltonHead2011034.jpg

That's some angry-looking water down there.

EOM_HiltonHead2011036.jpg

We were riding the 2-up route.

EOM_HiltonHead2011037.jpg

Took us by this.

EOM_HiltonHead2011038.jpg

It was still kinda foggy.

EOM_HiltonHead2011039.jpg

But the riding was damn good!

EOM_HiltonHead2011040.jpg

More to come later...

Last edited by a moderator:
Huzzah, huzzah, huzzah! This is The Greatest FJR Forum Ride Report ever, puts OM to shame and makes Carver's RR's look like doggie poo!

Four Stars states Roger Ebert of the Chicago Tribune, National Geographic says "Spellbinding", Entertainment Tonight predicts: "Blockbuster"!

This is Papa Chuy Viejo's new screensaver:

EOM_HiltonHead2011024.jpg

Great pics, thanks for posting!

I wanted to go to this to do the meet & greet plus ride the roads in the area. I knew Tony was going but I had a conflict that I couldn't easily get out of, so no EOM for me.

At least I get to see it through the pics of others...

Some more shots of the scenery.

EOM_HiltonHead2011042.jpg

EOM_HiltonHead2011043.jpg

We were in and out of the fog pretty much all morning.

EOM_HiltonHead2011044.jpg

Lots of fixer-uppers in this area.

EOM_HiltonHead2011045.jpg

These next 2 made us laugh. In one spot of the yard was this religious shrine thing.

EOM_HiltonHead2011046.jpg

And by the driveway - these big tires. Go figure.

EOM_HiltonHead2011047.jpg

Livestock ambling about the rolling countryside.

EOM_HiltonHead2011048.jpg

EOM_HiltonHead2011050.jpg

We needed a bio break, so Gary surrendered the lead to me and we headed into Monticello to go to a Shell station. As we rolled into town, I said, "Great. Harleys." They kept going.

EOM_HiltonHead2011051.jpg

One thing I wanted to do while in the region was to swing by Wolf Creek Dam. Wolf Creek Dam is what makes Lake Cumberland a lake. I've been there several times over the years, renting houseboats and being a water-borne hooligan. Not long after I was last down here (~ 6 years ago or so), it was discovered that Wolf Creek Dam was leaking! They had dropped the water level by about 30 feet the last I checked a while back, so I wanted to swing over and check it out. The rest of our group was OK with it, so off we went.

By now, the fog had burned off and it was a very nice day.

EOM_HiltonHead2011053.jpg

After a while (and some nice, fun roads!), we found a spot to view the dam.

IMG_0001.jpg

Geezer going up the hill to try to grab a pic. Or something.

IMG_0002.jpg

The dam.

EOM_HiltonHead2011055.jpg

Lake Cumberland is a big-ass lake.

EOM_HiltonHead2011056.jpg

Me and Sooze.

EOM_HiltonHead2011057.jpg

We wandered around a bit taking pictures.

EOM_HiltonHead2011059.jpg

No, really - we did. See??

IMG_0006.jpg

Well, duh! If you have any dam questions on the dam tour...

IMG_0008.jpg

This is where work is underway to fix the leak.

IMG_0010.jpg

Army Corps of Engineers survey mark. Whatever that is.

IMG_0012.jpg

We were getting hungry, so for some reason they let me continue leading in the hunt for some lunch.

EOM_HiltonHead2011060.jpg

Nice pictures, thank you. I remember going past some of those places but could not get a picture of them. It must be nice to take along a personal photographer when you travel. :)

As a former surveyor in a past life, the survey mark is placed in a stable place as a permanent bench mark for all surveyors who follow. It will be on survey maps of the area, noting position and precise elevation, and is a reference point available to surveyors in the area. I expect as in Canada, there is a national standard as to how they are set, and perhaps an international standard.

Nice photos Andy!

...hey, maybe this was a religious shrine as well...to the god of monster trucks.

EOM_HiltonHead2011047.jpg

The USGS may be a benchmark for surveyors in the area. It may also be a point on the dam that they shoot regularly to verify that no settlement has occured. Settlement in a dam...not so good. ;) A warning sign that not all is well...

Army Corps of Engineers survey mark. Whatever that is.

IMG_0012.jpg
Survey marks... or also known as Bench Marks are used to tell the location & elevation at that exact spot. A survey instrument is set up directly over the point & used as a "known" east/west coordinate & elevation in order to collect data about the surrounding area. There should be a # on the monument that would allow the surveyor to look it up & find the pertinent information for the survey.

I have a bench mark set in the concrete at the bottom step of my front porch. When I was looking at the house (to buy) I saw that, I "knew" that it was the house for me. lol!

In case anyone is scratching their head & wondering why that was the house for me, I am in the Civil Engineering/Survey business as a CADD operator & have been for a long time.

I am in the Civil Engineering/Survey business as a CADD operator & have been for a long time.
I did not know that. Cool. I don't know what you did for a living but if somebody were to ask me, I'd have not said anything close to that. I don't know what, but not that.

I am in the Civil Engineering/Survey business as a CADD operator & have been for a long time.
I did not know that. Cool. I don't know what you did for a living but if somebody were to ask me, I'd have not said anything close to that. I don't know what, but not that.
I've been in the business since '79-'80. I mostly work with Civil Engineers... I'm touted as a Civil Engineering Technician... but have pretty much done all involved. My work is direcly related to the building industry. I guess that's why I was out of work for so long.

anddddddd... back to your regularly scheduled program. Sorry for the hijack, Andy.

The hunt for lunch took us up the road a bit to the Lake Cumberland State Resort Park and the Lure Lodge.

Which led us first across the Wolf Creek Dam.

EOM_HiltonHead2011062.jpg

Closer-up shot of the work being done.

EOM_HiltonHead2011064.jpg

A boat ramp across the way. At least, I hope it's a boat ramp.

EOM_HiltonHead2011065.jpg

Route 127 heading to the park entrance is a fun road (when you're not stuck behind cagers), and the road off of 127 heading to the lodge is nice, too!

EOM_HiltonHead2011066.jpg

EOM_HiltonHead2011067.jpg

At the lodge, we all got the buffet, which wasn't too bad for $7.99 or whatever it was.

We had a pretty decent view of the lake down below.

EOM_HiltonHead2011069.jpg

Gary (vabrzn) and Annie.

EOM_HiltonHead2011068.jpg

Our gang of bad-ass bikers, left-to-right: Don (badisbad13), Gary and Annie, me, and Greg (geezer).

EOM_HiltonHead2011070.jpg

Model paddle-boat.

EOM_HiltonHead2011071.jpg

Pertinent information.

EOM_HiltonHead2011072.jpg

This really is a scenic area, and the weather was damn-near perfect.

EOM_HiltonHead2011073.jpg

Gary and Annie again.

EOM_HiltonHead2011074.jpg

Geezer.

EOM_HiltonHead2011075.jpg

Don.

EOM_HiltonHead2011076.jpg

All of us.

IMG_0014.jpg

Before heading out, we had a serious discussion about ... what else? Beer, of course. We had crossed into the central time zone, so we kinda figured what the hell! Let's make a run to Tennessee to get some suds. And, for some reason, they still had me leading.

On the road, we went through Susie, Kentucky, which amused Sooze to no end. Go figure.

EOM_HiltonHead2011078.jpg

Some boring pictures from the road.

EOM_HiltonHead2011079.jpg

EOM_HiltonHead2011080.jpg

That weird religious shrine thingamabob again.

EOM_HiltonHead2011081.jpg

I was kind of surprised that some of the leaves were just starting to change already. I bet this is a real pretty area to ride in when they're in full-autumn-color-change-mode.

EOM_HiltonHead2011082.jpg

After a bit, we finally made it to Tennessee. Hooray!

EOM_HiltonHead2011087.jpg

We pulled in here to get beer - they have a drive-through, so we should be able to get beer here, right?

EOM_HiltonHead2011088.jpg

Us again.

EOM_HiltonHead2011089.jpg

Well ... ahhh ... no. The place was a hangout for the locals. There's nothing quite like walking into a bar full of locals who're hooting and hollering it up on a Saturday afternoon when you're wearing full riding gear. We turned around, walked out, and moseyed down the road a bit to a gas station that sold beer.

Mission accomplished, we made a bee-line back to Cumberland Falls, hoping to make it in time for the group picture (which we missed in '09).

Back into Kentucky.

EOM_HiltonHead2011090.jpg

I got nothing here.

EOM_HiltonHead2011091.jpg

Gary mentioned that he wanted to stop on the way to the lodge and check out the falls. So we did.

I wasn't aware of this - a moonbow.

EOM_HiltonHead2011092.jpg

Some pictures of the falls.

EOM_HiltonHead2011093.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

With the recent rain, the falls were ... well, falling. Or however you say it.

IMG_0017.jpg

Note the plants trying to grow out of the rock. I thought it was kinda cool.

IMG_0018.jpg

Downstream from the falls.

IMG_0020.jpg

Me taking a picture of Gary taking a picture of me. Betchya that you've never seen a picture like THAT, have ya??

IMG_0022.jpg

On our way out a few minutes later, I tried to convince Fencer that it's OK to climb over the barrier. I don't think he believed me, though. Idjut.

EOM_HiltonHead2011096.jpg

Stuff in the water just upstream of the falls.

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

Me and Sooze.

EOM_HiltonHead2011100.jpg