Appalacian Camping Meet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in as long as it is not May 26. That is my son's graduation.

I did not get out there last year and regret it. The first year annual still counts as my favorite gathering. I look forward to giving Bob a big F' You! :p

I'm a cabin pussy though. I try not to do that whole sleeping on the ground crap.

The alcohol issue (availability and allowable) was more of an issue for a minority at EOM this year. Overall, most attendees knew what they were in for (dry county) and planned accordingly.

And if booze is that important, maybe one should just stay home.
I agree. I enjoy an adult beverage as much if not more than the next red blooded American - Go through a OIF / OEF deploy with none for 6+ months and you savor a cold one even more.

In asking question like this, you will always have a squeaky wheel. But when I'm riding and on a riding trip, the trip and the ride are the priority.

As far as location goes, flexibility is a good thing. A location that offers lodging option like the Ironhorse Resort or the Cherohala Motorcycle Resort in Tellico Plains will probably attract a more diverse cross section of the community. I just spent the better part of the past 20 years "camping" as a requirement of my day job - right now, it's less appealing to me, but NOT a deal breaker by any means. What camping means to me is that it is a solo trip - Annette is not a camper (unless it involves the fold out in my parents 5th wheel).

Breaks is just within range for me to make after work on the Thursday, and a reasonable ride home Sunday. Corbin (Cumberland Falls) is even better because it's closer to the slab for the return). Ironhorse or Tellico are doable, but will burn more time getting there and back, less quality miles.

Bottom line, Mark - pick a location, pick a date, and those who want to will, those who don't won't.

The alcohol issue (availability and allowable) was more of an issue for a minority at EOM this year. Overall, most attendees knew what they were in for (dry county) and planned accordingly.

And if booze is that important, maybe one should just stay home.
I agree. I enjoy an adult beverage as much if not more than the next red blooded American - Go through a OIF / OEF deploy with none for 6+ months and you savor a cold one even more.

In asking question like this, you will always have a squeaky wheel. But when I'm riding and on a riding trip, the trip and the ride are the priority.

As far as location goes, flexibility is a good thing. A location that offers lodging option like the Ironhorse Resort or the Cherohala Motorcycle Resort in Tellico Plains will probably attract a more diverse cross section of the community. I just spent the better part of the past 20 years "camping" as a requirement of my day job - right now, it's less appealing to me, but NOT a deal breaker by any means. What camping means to me is that it is a solo trip - Annette is not a camper (unless it involves the fold out in my parents 5th wheel).

Breaks is just within range for me to make after work on the Thursday, and a reasonable ride home Sunday. Corbin (Cumberland Falls) is even better because it's closer to the slab for the return). Ironhorse or Tellico are doable, but will burn more time getting there and back, less quality miles.

Bottom line, Mark - pick a location, pick a date, and those who want to will, those who don't won't.
+1 Wayne.

Mark, I'm moving so don't know what spring will bring for me, but if I'm able to go I will. Were ever it is.

Art

+1, Gunny; Words of Wisdom from extrememarine, pick a location-date Wheatie Boy and we FJR Forumites will come! Well, at least we will be breathing hard! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 50 mile difference for me (between the two options presented so far).

I'm at 50% sure right now. Hard to tell what changes will happen in a year, but I could conserve my time off and make a week-long trek out there (I have friends in Louisville, KY I could visit along the way.)

I'll keep track of this thread to see where it goes and what happens.

Plan it Mark...people will show up.

https://classic.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Chandler&1s=AZ&1a=1061+N+Amber+St&1z=85225-8718&1y=US&1l=33.32212&1g=-111.80997&1v=ADDRESS&2c=Robbinsville&2s=NC&2a=1755+Lower+Stecoah+Rd&2z=28771-8918&2y=US&2l=35.382836&2g=-83.680477&2v=ADDRESS Easy-Peasy, less than 2K miles one way and much less than 30 hours west-to-east; it's so damn simple, even my illegitimate bastard Son SkooterG could ride it along with his Step Pappy...maybe!

https://ironhorsenc.com/index.html I really like the looks of this place, are you sure there isn't a Strip Club there?

Last edited by a moderator:
That place does look awesome!
When we lived in SC, we used to make the run to Robbinsville once every 6 weeks. We liked the Ironhorse because it was an affordable alternative to staying in town. I've stayed in their rooms, split a cabin, and camped. They're menu is fairly simple, nothing special breakfast wise. Now the prime rib ($13 iirc) has been great when we've been there (Saturday's menu). For the most part, the place was always full of like minded enthusiasts - dual-sporters, sport-tourers, etc.

The only down side / issue I've ever had there was the occasional ship of alcohol volume enhance pirates carrying on a bit late; that one time, the management was on it rather quickly and it was squelched.

It has been 3 years since I've stayed there; so if someone has stayed more recently, chime in and let us know how things are now.

Like Crawford's from this year, it offers options for lodging.

Wayne

Well, I have concluded from the 20 or so responses from this thread that people are still interested in having an Appalacian Camping Meet in 2012.

I am having email correspondence with Iron Horse regarding dates available. I may also call Breaks Interstate Park.

However...as I have been involved in posting rides in SE Ohio and MO/AR for the past few years, and am looking forward to rides with my son David and 2-up rides with my wife this coming year...I finally sat down last night and charted out next year's vacation time and realize that my vacation time for this coming year is about used up.

Therefore, I am only 50/50 now for this coming spring's camping meet...and am looking for someone else to organize/run this meet...whoever steps up should be a tent camper and have a commitment...more than I am able to bring at this time.

Well, I have concluded from the 20 or so responses from this thread that people are still interested in having an Appalacian Camping Meet in 2012.

I am having email correspondence with Iron Horse regarding dates available. I may also call Breaks Interstate Park.

However...as I have been involved in posting rides in SE Ohio and MO/AR for the past few years, and am looking forward to rides with my son David and 2-up rides with my wife this coming year...I finally sat down last night and charted out next year's vacation time and realize that my vacation time for this coming year is about used up.

Therefore, I am only 50/50 now for this coming spring's camping meet...and am looking for someone else to organize/run this meet...whoever steps up should be a tent camper and have a commitment...more than I am able to bring at this time.
I would do it in a heartbeat if I wasn't planning the cross country NAFO trip next year. I am sure there is someone out there that will step up as the spring campout has become extremely popular in just 2 years.

Latest posts