Appalacian Camping Meet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: IronHorse...quiet time is 11:00pm according to the owner...
Except for we Yamaha FJR 1300 Power Rangers, we will show those Pirates how to Party!
Oh ok...Mr. "I'm in bed by 8pm." Now Patch and Galaxy Blue...Those two boys know how to paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrtttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :eek:

Re: IronHorse...quiet time is 11:00pm according to the owner...
Except for we Yamaha FJR 1300 Power Rangers, we will show those Pirates how to Party!
Oh ok...Mr. "I'm in bed by 8pm." Now Patch and Galaxy Blue...Those two boys know how to paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrtttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :eek:
OK, I am so busted; latest is 9pm, 10pm if a hot red headed Canadian nurse is around!

And Patch and Galaxy Blue do know how to party, just don't look in their room though!

Mark, I've stayed @ Breaks twice & drank both times. Of course I wasn't with 50 of my closest friends at the time, either. I think that if we were reasonably drinking... as putting it in a cup or refrain from acting like Hardley riders, we'd be fine.

Oh, I failed to mention the riding in that area... It's awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny...depends on what mode I get in...

Socializing trip...midnight in bed and up 9am for breakfast

Usually, I'm in "local riding" mode and filter activity to riding in daylight...as in up an hour before sunrise so riding day is soon after sunrise

and can quit from fatigue sometime between 3-5pm. In bed 8-10pm

I also forgot to mention... there is beer in the neighboring town of Haysi... or I think it was Haysi. Jay went on the only beer run made the last time that we were out there. He can confirm 100%. Oh, the section of 80 between Breaks & Haysi??? Frigging cool, man!!! Oh, and gas... there is gas there. I think that it's 5 miles or so from the park.

Just a couple of pictures of the playas' & scenery...

Look closely @ Jay's face. We'd just finished riding that section of 80 that I was talking about earlier:

4.jpg

Telling lies & drinking in the process:

8.jpg

A picture of the view from the dining room. What you can't see is the HUGE canyon that is actually there:

9.jpg

I snapped a picture of Bob right before he was leaving for his job interview at the camp store:

Breaks005.jpg

More telling lies... & drinking (we miss you Ingo!)

Breaks006.jpg

& last but not least... can you imagine being the person coming in the opposite direction & running up on this?

Breaks032.jpg

I have stayed @ Iron Horse before with the MTF bunch in 2010. It's pretty good and they have options if you want to camp or not. I stayed in the bunkhouse with 3 other guys and it wasn't that bad and it was cheap. NOTE - there is a bunkhouse #1 and #2 - forget which is which, but one holds 4 and the other holds 5. I would only stay in the "4" one if I was to do it again.

They also have cabins - but beware as some of them are up the hill behind and it's a bitch going up & down, plus away from the firepit where folks gather at night. The other side of the coin is that the cabins on the hill are super nice - at least the one I saw inside of (a friend + SO + another couple stayed up there).

I have not been able to do the last 2 FJR camp-ins due to conflicts, but do get up to NC/TN area fairly often, so would like to meet up with youse guys/gals if possible. Iron Horse is very convenient to the dragon and Cherahola. Dunno about the other one you mentioned.

Alcohol - it would be nice if we could have it, but no biggy IMO. Would be better if we didn't have to hide it, but don't want to stop the run because of it either.

...However...as I have been involved in posting rides in SE Ohio and MO/AR for the past few years, and am looking forward to rides with my son David and 2-up rides with my wife this coming year...I finally sat down last night and charted out next year's vacation time and realize that my vacation time for this coming year is about used up.

Therefore, I am only 50/50 now for this coming spring's camping meet...and am looking for someone else to organize/run this meet...whoever steps up should be a tent camper and have a commitment...more than I am able to bring at this time.
I have finalized a number of vacation plans for next year...and unfortunately they do not allow enough vacation time to take time off to organize and plan the camping event for 2012.

I will be posting up regional rides in Ohio and MO/AR for 2012...but not the camping meet.

Therefore, unless someone else decides to organize it, you will be left to your own devices for 2012.

Therefore, unless someone else decides to organize it, you will be left to your own devices for 2012.
Same here. I'm gonna bank an extra week of vacation time over the winter and I'm doing NAFO in BC, then north via Ferry to Alaska.

The jury is still out whether I'm gonna say feck it and not come home.

THREAD TITLE CHANGED.

If people are interested in getting together as a large FJR group...someone else will need to organize it.

I suggest either the Iron Horse or Breaks Interstate Park...

...However...as I have been involved in posting rides in SE Ohio and MO/AR for the past few years, and am looking forward to rides with my son David and 2-up rides with my wife this coming year...I finally sat down last night and charted out next year's vacation time and realize that my vacation time for this coming year is about used up.

Therefore, I am only 50/50 now for this coming spring's camping meet...and am looking for someone else to organize/run this meet...whoever steps up should be a tent camper and have a commitment...more than I am able to bring at this time.
I have finalized a number of vacation plans for next year...and unfortunately they do not allow enough vacation time to take time off to organize and plan the camping event for 2012.

I will be posting up regional rides in Ohio and MO/AR for 2012...but not the camping meet.

Mark...I guess I'll see ya in SE Ohio sometime next year

Since time is getting closer, I am guessing that no plans are being made for this meet since it is no longer being discussed?

Right now, I am planning a trip to NC May 18-20 this year. Anyone else who wants to join in on crashing a VFR meet is welcome. Great group of fellow enthusiasts. Looks like they just moved from Franklin to Robbinsville this year.

See VFRD.com - T-Mac thread here.

Right now, I am planning a trip to NC May 18-20 this year. Anyone else who wants to join in on crashing a VFR meet is welcome. Great group of fellow enthusiasts. Looks like they just moved from Franklin to Robbinsville this year.

See VFRD.com - T-Mac thread here.
Wayne, theirs a chance I might be a Fontana that weekend with some buddies (one on his new Panigale if it's delivered on time). They rented a condo/house and it'll be dirt cheap. Plus their hauling the bikes down. I'm seriously considering bringing down the CBR just for the grin factor.

Time'll tell.

Hey - through the CBR on their trailer, and ride down with me; No expressway south of Toledo is my rule... SE Ohio, WV, maybe VA and then to NC...

Wayne, theirs a chance I might be a Fontana that weekend with some buddies (one on his new Panigale if it's delivered on time). They rented a condo/house and it'll be dirt cheap. Plus their hauling the bikes down. I'm seriously considering bringing down the CBR just for the grin factor.

Time'll tell.

Hey - through the CBR on their trailer, and ride down with me; No expressway south of Toledo is my rule... SE Ohio, WV, maybe VA and then to NC...
That is a good idea, 'cept for the problem of the 'trailer' being 200 miles south of me. Kinna throws a monkey wrench into things. Be sure though, it still on my dance card.

Since time is getting closer, I am guessing that no plans are being made for this meet since it is no longer being discussed?
Heidi,

If you organize it, I'll be there
Alrighty then! I guess nobody is thinking about this trip. & Joe, thanks for your devotion... but when are "you" going to take one for the team & plan a meet? I've already had a hand or 3 in planning several other riding events. IOW... I've already taken a few for the team. Your turn!!!