Super Sad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.....especially Colin Edwards and his very close friend Valentino Rossi, who were unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time and struck him as he was sliding back across the track.
Exactly. It appears (seen from another camera angle) as if it was Vale's hit that actually took off Simo's helmet.... and, quite possibly, was the main contributor to Simo's demise.

From what I saw, Edwards was cornering to the right, Rossi a little behind and to Haydon's right.

I couldn't see why Marco went down, in the camera shot I saw, he swept in from left to right, already on his side, it looked as if his right leg was trapped under the bike.

He slid right under Edward's front wheel, Edwards could neither see him coming, couldn't have had time to react, and couldn't do anything anyway.

From what I saw it was Edwards' front wheel that hit Simoncelli, probably in the head (makes me shudder to think of it), I currently think that's what took Simoncelli's helmet off.

Edwards tumbled off, Rossi caught Edward's bike a glancing blow, but Rossi didn't directly affect Simoncelli.

Rossi's bike tried to throw him, but he held it, albeit on the grass off the right side of the track. I'm not sure Rossi even knew why Edwards had gone down.

I still don't know why Simoncelli went down in the first place. I couldn't see any other rider involved, but it did look like a genuine accident.

A sad loss.
During the race they showed the front view camera from Bautista's bike that Simoncelli just passed. It appears he had a front end slide exiting turn 11 and was sliding off the race line. He was trying to save it with his knee and elbow, not letting go of his bike. His front tire regained partial grip, shooting him back across the race line where Edwards and Rossi where at that exact moment.

I was at the track when this happened, sitting at the grandstand facing the half of the circuit where Sic had the accident. I never saw it but only realized something was wrong when the red flags came up. Then they showed replays of the crash and as soon as I saw it, I had a sick feeling that he wouldn't make it.

I was with the wife and kids during the race. We were very quiet when we left the track. None of us felt like talking.

My thoughts and prayers go to Marco, his family, as well as Collin and Vale.

Truly a sad day for motorcycle racing,he had so much promise and so young.

My thoughts and prayers go to Marco, his family and his team.

I finally saw a video of the crash last night on the Speed TV webpage (missed the race on Sunday - out fly fishing).

That was a horrible crash and just leaves a sick feeling in your stomach. The sight of his helmet rolling across the grass infield and him sliding on the race surface cleary unconscious (maybe already dead) was beyond sad.

Some questioned Marco's riding tactics as "risky", but nobody (even his harshest critics) would wish something like this on anyone.

Racing has lost perhaps it's best upcoming (young) star with unlimited potential.

Here's wishing all the best to his immediate family, and to Colin Edwards and Val Rossi for the load they must be bearing,,,,

Brian the biknflyfisher

.....especially Colin Edwards and his very close friend Valentino Rossi, who were unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time and struck him as he was sliding back across the track.
Exactly. It appears (seen from another camera angle) as if it was Vale's hit that actually took off Simo's helmet.... and, quite possibly, was the main contributor to Simo's demise.

From what I saw, Edwards was cornering to the right, Rossi a little behind and to Haydon's right.

I couldn't see why Marco went down, in the camera shot I saw, he swept in from left to right, already on his side, it looked as if his right leg was trapped under the bike.

He slid right under Edward's front wheel, Edwards could neither see him coming, couldn't have had time to react, and couldn't do anything anyway.

From what I saw it was Edwards' front wheel that hit Simoncelli, probably in the head (makes me shudder to think of it), I currently think that's what took Simoncelli's helmet off.

Edwards tumbled off, Rossi caught Edward's bike a glancing blow, but Rossi didn't directly affect Simoncelli.

Rossi's bike tried to throw him, but he held it, albeit on the grass off the right side of the track. I'm not sure Rossi even knew why Edwards had gone down.

I still don't know why Simoncelli went down in the first place. I couldn't see any other rider involved, but it did look like a genuine accident.

A sad loss.
Mac, please spare us your analysis from such an obviously uninformed position. There are videos and photos out and about that show that Edwards hit Simo's bike/his back/legs, and Rossi went over his right shoulder and arm, and it appears that Rossis left foot/lower fairing hit Simo head. Rossi was distraught riding back to the pits, apparently very aware of the implications of the crash.

e8sr2w.jpg

As for the rest of your analysis: Simo went down because he lost the front end, but it then gripped again, either because he was supporting sufficient weight himself to keep the bike up, or he was still holding on tightly, or any one of a number of reasons. When the front gripped again the bike tightened the cornering line and headed in a tightening arc towards the infield. Some piccies show Edwards tipping in harder to try and go inside, but there was no avoiding what happened.

Maybe this will help you understand some issues a little better: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2052436/Marco-Simoncelli-dead-Malaysian-MotoGP-crash.html

There has also been some criticism of the trackside helpers, one of whom stumbled when carrying the stretcher (piccie in above link). Simo's father, who went out to the crash scene said there is no blame: "A video has emerged showing that marshals dropped part of the stretcher as they rushed from the track, but Paolo played down the significance of the incident.

"Marco was already dead," he said. "I was there and it would not have changed anything. When they came up [with the stretcher] I took Marco's hand, I tried to greet him, but he was already gone, there was nothing anyone could do."

The only 'what if' Paolo feels is in regards to the accident itself, and what might have been if Marco had tried to bail off as soon as he lost control. "Marco was a warrior. He never gave up... that's why he didn't try to leave the bike."

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/174385/1/simoncellis_father_marco_was_a_warrior.html

I didn't want to see that picture any more than I didn't want to see the video ever again.

The analysis is meaningless.

Regardless of what happened, our sport suffered a big loss.

I had no idea this happened till I saw this thread. I had been following the season till last race when Stoner clinched it. What a terrible tragedy! You could see even through the TV screen that Simoncelli had a huge personality with a charming smile and love of life (hell, just look at that hair!). Unbelievable. Very very sad.... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be an awesome tribute to Super Sic. I hope they do it. Can you imagine the beautiful sound and vibration from all those race motors revving? Too bad here in the U.S. Speed TV will probably edit it out of their broadcast. R.I.P. #58