Super Sad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TellurideFJR

I likes to ride!
Reaction score
On the second lap of the Malaysia GP a tragic accident claimed the life of Marco Simoncelli. We will miss you Marco.

Very sad indeed, watched the crash in the second lap. Appears he low sided out of a turn, then he and the bike slid in front of Edwards and Rossi- nothing they could do to avoid him. We get so used to seeing these guys get up from bad crashes it's easy to forget how bad things happen real fast.

A real loss for Moto GP, have to really feel sad for Colin and Vali.

He packed more into his 24 years than thousands of mediocre souls and went out in the saddle...Godspeed Marco!!! Condolences to family and friends.... :(

Bobby

It was only last week when a few mates and I were at the Honda Dinner at the Phillip Island GP...he was a real hit with the guests and seemed like a really nice bloke full of life. Horrific crash, i don't think he knew what hit him.

I don't think the circuit itself had anything to do with it. The situation he was in (lost the front, fell to the right but didn't leave the bike, resulting in a long right turn across the path of other riders) could have happened anywhere.

Incredibly unfortunate, and so very sad. Thoughts to friends and family. His father and his girlfriend were at the race according to all the news bits I'm seeing on the bike sites.

^^^ Good point. I thought it strange he was still on the bike, couldn't see the whole issue he had.

Extremely sad. Don't like this type of news. :(

Such a sad couple of days in motorsports. First with the passing of Dan Wheldon and now this. Sic was often criticized for his aggressive riding style on the track and was doing a great job of making better decisions on the track. He had such a promising career ahead of him...he will surely be remembered and missed.

Thoughts are with his family and friends, especially Colin Edwards and his very close friend Valentino Rossi, who were unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time and struck him as he was sliding back across the track.

.....especially Colin Edwards and his very close friend Valentino Rossi, who were unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time and struck him as he was sliding back across the track.
Exactly. It appears (seen from another camera angle) as if it was Vale's hit that actually took off Simo's helmet.... and, quite possibly, was the main contributor to Simo's demise.

Regardless, none of this speculation changes this tragedy. I have little doubt Edwards and Rossi are really struggling with this.

As is the rest of the MotoGP paddock.

So unfortunate and unfair.... :( :( :( :( :( :(

From MotoGP.com - Tribute to Marco Simocelli

wow.....so sad. so young, and as Auburn said, a very promising rider/competitor

rest well, Marco

I did not know Super Sic personally but started watching him a few years ago in the 250cc class and was very impressed by this talented racer. He mastered this class and won a championship. In MotoGP he was aggressive but maturing, improving and getting better results in almost each race. His will to compete showed as he tried to save his front end slide yesterday. We lost a great racer and great guy. Rest in peace Marco, I am sadden with our loss and will miss #58 in the paddock. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

.....especially Colin Edwards and his very close friend Valentino Rossi, who were unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time and struck him as he was sliding back across the track.
Exactly. It appears (seen from another camera angle) as if it was Vale's hit that actually took off Simo's helmet.... and, quite possibly, was the main contributor to Simo's demise.

From what I saw, Edwards was cornering to the right, Rossi a little behind and to Haydon's right.

I couldn't see why Marco went down, in the camera shot I saw, he swept in from left to right, already on his side, it looked as if his right leg was trapped under the bike.

He slid right under Edward's front wheel, Edwards could neither see him coming, couldn't have had time to react, and couldn't do anything anyway.

From what I saw it was Edwards' front wheel that hit Simoncelli, probably in the head (makes me shudder to think of it), I currently think that's what took Simoncelli's helmet off.

Edwards tumbled off, Rossi caught Edward's bike a glancing blow, but Rossi didn't directly affect Simoncelli.

Rossi's bike tried to throw him, but he held it, albeit on the grass off the right side of the track. I'm not sure Rossi even knew why Edwards had gone down.

I still don't know why Simoncelli went down in the first place. I couldn't see any other rider involved, but it did look like a genuine accident.

A sad loss.

Last edited by a moderator: