Zumo 660 w/ Starcom1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I debated with myself on placing this in the "Technical Discussion" section, but I think this fits more appropriately here in with the Accessories. Admins feel free to relocate as needed.

I can't believe that I've never heard anything about this problem before, but did some googling around and on the Zumo Forum and think I have a lead on a fix. Here's the scenario:

I have been using a Zumo 550 GPS that is hardwired to a Starcom1 intercom using the Starcom proprietary MUS-04 and MIC-01 audio isolation cables. I would pair a cell phone to the Zumo and be able to make and receive calls with excellent audio clarity. Sometimes I'd be talking to someone and reveal that I am on my bike and they would be amazed because they just couldn't tell.

Recently I had some touch screen issues with my trusty Zumo 550 (discussed elsewhere) and subsequently moved my Zumo 660 from its mount on my V-strom over to the FJR and just used the same cables to hook the Starcom1 up to the newer GPS. Yesterday I was out playing hooky for a while and a call came in from a friend so I answered it. He revealed that the audio from my end was so noisy that he could not hear me at all. I could hear him fine. When I pulled over and called him back we were able to converse normally.

Today, I played around and ran a few tests and figured out that the integral microphone in the Zumo itself is staying active when the Starcom cable is plugged into it. The phone noise was from all of the motor and wind noise being picked up by the internal mike. (the helmet headset mike is also active)

Google searches indicate that Starcom has found that it's the impedance of the MIC-01 cable that isn't appropriate to tell the Zumo to mute the internal mike. They have a newer style of cable MIC-02 that they say will make the mike mute. I'm getting kind of tired of buying these expensive isolation cables from Starcom. This one is going to cost me another $37 plus shipping.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else here has run into this problem and maybe found an alternate solution? I wish there was a way to go in and disable the internal mike altogether as I never use the Zumo out of the motorcycle cradle. Or if someone has both a MIC-01 and MIC-02 maybe you could tell me what has changed?

At the very least this post will capture a problem on the integration of these two commonly found audio components when used together (Starcom and Zumo 6XX)

PS - Folks that use the GPS bluetooth output paired to a bluetooth headset would never see this problem as routing the audio output to bluetooth does mute the internal mike. Maybe that is why this is not a more common complaint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever tried pairing the phone Bluetooth to the GPS, then using the Starcom via the GPS to use the phone in VOX mode? That is how I'm using an Autocom, and I just wasn't sure how your setup varied. In my case the GPS is connected using an isolation cable that connects audio and mic to the GPS and Autocom control. Stupid expensive at $110 as it is a custom build lead. Thanks again to Fairlaner for getting me into the wonderful world of Autocom. :dribble:

Tom,

I think that you are using the phone the way that I am trying to. The big difference is the starcom cable is not disabling the Zumo's internal mike when plugged in. The audio cable does disable the internal speaker as soon as you plug that in, but leaves the mike open.

Apparently Autocom had that little piece figured out

I wish I had a combination closer to yours Ed, but I'm also using an Autocom like Tom. Likely an older version than what he has, as its the older 5 pin Pro M1. I'd like to get new but they just won't die. :) I have had them on (3) bikes for a long time. Of course, StarCom and Autocom are now under the same parent company. Tecstar I believe.

I was having trouble with people hearing me as well, without a lot of noise at their end. This is when I was completely hardwired (both mic and audio) from the Autocom to my Zumo 550.

The final answer for me and it's working perfectly, is that I added the Starcom BTM-01 Bluetooth module. They now have a BTM-02 that is supposed to work even better and is stereo bluetooth.

My Blackberry is paired with the Zumo as a "phone". The BTM-01 is plugged into the Autocom mic port and paired to the Zumo as a "head set only".

This works really well as I still have the stereo sound from the Zumo (XM/MP3/voice commands) as I'm hard wired to the Autocom for audio. Only the phone conversations through the BTM-01 are mono which is not an issue.

I know this is not helping you much, but a later search by someone else on the subject may trigger a fix for them.

I hope you figure it out soon. I'm going to keep an eye on the thread as a Zumo 665 is in my future.

I wish I had a combination closer to yours Ed, but I'm also using an Autocom like Tom. Likely an older version than what he has, as its the older 5 pin Pro M1. I'd like to get new but they just won't die. :) I have had them on (3) bikes for a long time. Of course, StarCom and Autocom are now under the same parent company. Tecstar I believe.

I was having trouble with people hearing me as well, without a lot of noise at their end. This is when I was completely hardwired (both mic and audio) from the Autocom to my Zumo 550.

The final answer for me and it's working perfectly, is that I added the Starcom BTM-01 Bluetooth module. They now have a BTM-02 that is supposed to work even better and is stereo bluetooth.

My Blackberry is paired with the Zumo as a "phone". The BTM-01 is plugged into the Autocom mic port and paired to the Zumo as a "head set only".

This works really well as I still have the stereo sound from the Zumo (XM/MP3/voice commands) as I'm hard wired to the Autocom for audio. Only the phone conversations through the BTM-01 are mono which is not an issue.

I know this is not helping you much, but a later search by someone else on the subject may trigger a fix for them.

I hope you figure it out soon. I'm going to keep an eye on the thread as a Zumo 665 is in my future.
Tanker, do I understand correctly you interfaced a Starcom BTM01 with your Autocom?

Yeah, I've heard of others doing that too. The BTM-01is pretty much an (overpriced) generic stand-alone BT dongle.

I actually have one that I attempted to employ with my Z550 to separate the phone audio from the stereo audio. It worked (sort of) but I had some other problems with it so aborted the experiment. I hope the BT-02 is a better implementation of the dongle.

What I had hoped to achieve by separating the phone audio (via BT) from the rest of the audio was that I wanted to be able to use the VOX feature of the starcom to mute all other audio (except phone) when I spoke to my passenger. The problem that I eventually had was the BT unit started getting static-y, but I could tell that the functionality was improved. I wasn't willing to invest another Benjamin in the experiment and so the BT-01 sits in a box.

Say the word and I'll send it to on out to you to play with. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did. Even if you still get the static, maybe you'll be able to determine if it could be the eventual solution to your auto-com audio routing.

Yeah, I've heard of others doing that too. The BTM-01is pretty much an (overpriced) generic stand-alone BT dongle.

I actually have one that I attempted to employ with my Z550 to separate the phone audio from the stereo audio. It worked (sort of) but I had some other problems with it so aborted the experiment. I hope the BT-02 is a better implementation of the dongle.

What I had hoped to achieve by separating the phone audio (via BT) from the rest of the audio was that I wanted to be able to use the VOX feature of the starcom to mute all other audio (except phone) when I spoke to my passenger. The problem that I eventually had was the BT unit started getting static-y, but I could tell that the functionality was improved. I wasn't willing to invest another Benjamin in the experiment and so the BT-01 sits in a box.

Say the word and I'll send it to on out to you to play with. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did. Even if you still get the static, maybe you'll be able to determine if it could be the eventual solution to your auto-com audio routing.

I like that the BTM-01 is bike powered and I don't have to worry about batteries. They are certainely overpriced as you say.

I ran into problems with my VOX control also. If I put the switch on my PTT button to VOX I get a loud whine and if I'm using my Bike-To-Bike hook-ups at the same time it transfers to the other riders and the bitching ensues post haste. :argue:

Perhaps you should try selling the BTM-01 and recoup some of your investment. As I said, I have it working for my phone audio right now and it works pretty well. Sometimes getting it paired up properly takes a little work when starting out but then it's good for the rest of the day.

If you decide not to sell it, I will happily take it off your hands and try to see if I can get it working on the SV or the FZ6 I have in the stable. :thumbsup:

Perhaps you should try selling the BTM-01 and recoup some of your investment. As I said, I have it working for my phone audio right now and it works pretty well. Sometimes getting it paired up properly takes a little work when starting out but then it's good for the rest of the day.

If you decide not to sell it, I will happily take it off your hands and try to see if I can get it working on the SV or the FZ6 I have in the stable. :thumbsup:
Well, as I said, I've had some inexplicable issues with the damn thing. I bought it used, so I don't know if this was a pre-existing issue, but I would not want to sell it with a known issue.

If you think that you could possibly make use of this thing I'd gladly send it on to you for the cost of shipping

(seems fair, right?) If it works out I'd be very happy.

PM me for further details/

Adding a follow-up and some closure to this thread for posterity:

Since nobody else knew anything about this issue, I went ahead and spent the money on a Starcom1 MIC-02 cable. When I plugged it in it worked exactly as advertised and disables the internal microphone in the Zumo unit.

Measuring the DC resistance shows only a small difference :

MIC-01 primary 88Ω / secondary 1590Ω

MIC-02 primary 90Ω / secondary 1575Ω

Apparently that relatively small change in resistance, no doubt due to changed number of turns in the audio isolation transformer, nets a significant enough change in audio reflected impedance to inhibit the internal mic. So, it would appear that anyone wanting to use the phone feature of the Zumo 660 with a Starcom1 will need to buy one of these new MIC-02 cables.

Fred, I too tire of StarCom cabling. Expensive and failure prone. I'm thinking of taking a working cable, making all appropriate measurements to determine resistance, impedance, capacitance, then source the parts needed via Mouser or the like. Take the parts, assemble into a small weatherproof junction box,then run 'regular & cheap' cables with the j-box in series. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Another issue is StarComm audio output impedance and use of earbuds / ear speakers.

From Candy Butt Association site

SUMMARY – (in case you don't want to read the diatribe below..) I bought a StarCommm Advance (SCA) unit and Er6i ear buds. Installed the SCA into a tank bag side panel and went riding. Worked great until the first hot day, then the audio went to crap. Unacceptably bad distortion. The unit would reset after cooling down, sound good again until the next hot day.
Now that my big project is done I'll get traction on projects like this.