FJR Forum Alps Extreme M/C Tour; August 8-15 of 2012.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after some dancing around all this, I'm IN. Gonna send you an email, Don. No time like the present to start getting worked up about doing this, and it's just going to build from here. Only 277 days to go, but who's counting?

Can't. Freaking. WAIT! . :yahoo:
This's Fantastic News SacramentoMiguel, very glad to hear you'll be Extremely riding the Alps and Dolomites with us. This truly will be a Motorcycle Ride of a Lifetime!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a video from Edelweiss Austria of the Alps Extreme Tour 2011, the exact same trip we of FJR Forum are going on. This tour was fully booked up by all Canadian riders, which explains why they are riding so fecking slow and why they are riding all over the damn roadway! Freaking Frostbacks! Ramon from Tyrolia was their guide.

Here is a video from Edelweiss Austria of the Alps Extreme Tour 2011, the exact same trip we of FJR Forum are going on. This tour was fully booked up by all Canadian riders, which explains why they are riding so fecking slow and why they are riding all over the damn roadway! Freaking Frostbacks! Ramon from Tyrolia was their guide.
So what your saying is I shouldn't think about signing up for this...

So what your saying is I shouldn't think about signing up for this...
Actually Tomaso, I was just getting ready to send out PM's and e-mails to You, MEM, Ray, Dave, Scott, Rob, Pierre, Jeff, Barb and the rest of the Canadian Contingent!

There are already two Canuckistanis seriously looking at this Alps Extreme Tour. One is good friend yamafitter, however these dates conflict with M/C events Bill F. is already looking at. He said he would let me know his status for this when he makes his decision. Really do hope Bill can make this, I do enjoy riding with yamafitter!

Other Canuck who seems ready, willing and able to go is Steve "Jedinite" Austin of British Columbia, Canada. Steve works overseas in the Middle East, with his base camp in Germany. Steve recently joined our AZ Beemers Club, he rides a BMW R1200GS Adventure and spends as much time in Arizona on it as his schedule allows!

https://www.alpen-journal.de/alpenpaesse.html Here is an excellent Alps Motorycle Riding Resource and a chance to practice your German too!

https://www.alpenpaesse.co/Italien-Gavia-Pass_p97 For example, here is the Gavia Pass we will be riding with a map you can zoom in on for details.

alps-extreme-12.JPG

https://www.alpenpaesse.co/Italien-Stilfser_Joch_Passo_dello_Stelvio_p317 And here's the famous Passo dello Stelvio / Stilfserjoch!

Practice my German? Crap, I don't HAVE any German. I spent a couple days in Frankfurt on the way home from my station in Turkey way back before time began. I still remember getting up in a restaurant to use the washroom and froze in panic because the two doors (right off the main dining room) were labeled simply "H" and "D."

Finally figured it out by trial and error. Only took three tries.

Practice my German? Crap, I don't HAVE any German. I spent a couple days in Frankfurt on the way home from my station in Turkey way back before time began. I still remember getting up in a restaurant to use the washroom and froze in panic because the two doors (right off the main dining room) were labeled simply "H" and "D."

Finally figured it out by trial and error. Only took three tries.
https://www.travelphrase.com/EnglishGerman.htm Here you go SacMike, this's a great website for enough German phrases to get you through the Alps Extreme Tour. If you can learn these, you're good to go!

I've previously copied all the Spanish lessons from TravelPhrase and they are in my tank bag whenever I ride to Mexico; they are really helpful and fit almost all situations un Turista will encounter.

I really hate to be the bearer of Bad News, but the Triumphs are already sold out for this trip. However, if there is enough interest from Alps Extreme Riders who really wanted to ride a Triumph: I will gladly send a letter off to Werner Wachter and Rainer Buck, they are #1 and #2 at Edelweiss Bike Travel, and press them hard to get more Triumphs made available to our group!

NOTE: Dave Cooley and Papa Chuy called Tracy Henry of Tri Community Travel and all of the BMW GS's have side bags and a top case. I feel for the Alps and Dolomites any of the BMW GS's will perform just as well as the Triumphs will!

Hi Tracy,

That's a little disappointing, given the amount of advance notice we are

giving and the fact that they scheduled our own tour date.

Does the F800GS have side bags & top case? What are their capacities?

Gary Miller

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:40 PM

To: profmil

Subject: Edelweiss Alps tour

Hi Gary,

I just wanted to let you know that currently you are confirmed on your

third choice bike, the F800GS, and wait listed for the two Triumphs. We

have a Triumph tour that is taking place the same time as your Alps tour

and the bikes are currently allocated for this. However as we get closer

to the tour start this could easily change.

Thank you,

Tracy

Tri-Community/Edelweiss

I called Tracy and have the booking form in front of me.

The only thing I need to know if there is who will share the room during the trip? If it is SacMike, what extra vaccination shots will I need?

I called Tracy and have the booking form in front of me.

The only thing I need to know if there is who will share the room during the trip? If it is SacMike, what extra vaccination shots will I need?
In defense of SacramentoMike, I roomed with SacMiguel when WheatonFJR and Airboss came to California. He was a model room mate. The only complaint I had is that right before he falls asleep and turns out the light, he lets out a big yawn and says: "I would much rather hear a fat boy fart, than a pretty girl sing!" Really tough to fall asleep after that proclamation! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

I've been on this tour twice, once last year, and again last September as a private tour with friends. This is one of the best Alps tour Edelweiss has to offer if you like the smaller back roads and want to skip the site seeing. Some of the roads we were on were only four or five feet wide. :yahoo: I rode a 650 Vstrom the first time and the BMW650GS twin last September. Both are great bikes for this tour, you don't want something big, however a 1200 GS wouldn't be a problem.

Be aware the days are long and you will be ready to get off the bike at days end. The first night is spent in hiker hostel high in the mountains, and while VERY rustic, it is one that you'll never forget.

I think we're going to do the new Pyrenes Extreme tour next year. Have fun guys.

I've been on this tour twice, once last year, and again last September as a private tour with friends. This is one of the best Alps tour Edelweiss has to offer if you like the smaller back roads and want to skip the site seeing. Some of the roads we were on were only four or five feet wide. :yahoo: I rode a 650 Vstrom the first time and the BMW650GS twin last September. Both are great bikes for this tour, you don't want something big, however a 1200 GS wouldn't be a problem.

Be aware the days are long and you will be ready to get off the bike at days end. The first night is spent in hiker hostel high in the mountains, and while VERY rustic, it is one that you'll never forget.

I think we're going to do the new Pyrenes Extreme tour next year. Have fun guys.
Thanks racer, much appreciated!

We've ridden some of these roads before and had been thinking about doing it again next year.

Hmmmmm....

Any chance of renting an FJR? Otherwise I might ship mine (yes, I know how to to that and all the insurance regs, etc...)

We've ridden some of these roads before and had been thinking about doing it again next year.

Hmmmmm....

Any chance of renting an FJR? Otherwise I might ship mine (yes, I know how to to that and all the insurance regs, etc...)
Hello BwanaDik, I would recommend calling Tracy Henry of Tri Community Travel in Wrightwood, California; she is the North American Representative for Edelweiss Bike Travel.

Her toll free number is 1-800-507-4459 and her e-mail is [email protected]

Just tell Tracy what you want, please mention that you are a Member of the FJR Forum and a Friend of Don Stanley. We would love to have you join us!

Don, I have a BMW F650GS assigned to me. I had asked for a Triumph and Tracy has me on a waiting list for one. I would think that 650 would do what needs to be done. I am sure there isn't much difference in that and a K1200 Lt road machine :) :). Thanks for the information.

Bruce
Hi Bruce, You and I have selected the same machine; which is a carbon copy of mi 2009 Salma Hayek. The BMW F650GS Twin is actually a true 800 cc with 80 horses and a six speed; perfect for the Alps.

If you want to get some miles in on a BMW F650GS before we go, we can swap bikes for a week. I just hope my Ducati and Harley neighbors won't laugh at me for riding a K1200LT!

It is now official. I just spoke with Tracy and I have placed my deposit.

She offered me a 1600cc Beemer but I told her I was looking for something with better handling and more power.... like a Vespa.

220px-Rally180.jpg

Currently there are only the 1200cc bikes confirmed to be available but the company is in negotiations over bikes for next year and in about 4 weeks time they will have the bikes finalized and I'll probably get a 650 V-Strom which will work just fine for me.