BRP fun detour

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Last week the bride and I were touring NC on vacation. (In a car, dammit) Upon returning from a day hike south of Asheville we noticed on the map a twisty 'short cut' road from approximately milepost 405 of the BRP to Asheville. I had to check it out for future motorcycle reference. It did not disappoint. Although short (maybe 4 miles twisty part) I could determine it was a fun bike road. Similar corner size, shape and cadence of the dragon, but almost no traffic. two or four wheel. In fact we met only 3-4 cars in the 4 mile length. Granted, it's off season, but still...

Rt151.png

If you find yourself tooling along the BRP and want a quick detour with some tighter corners, here you go!

The road is labeled Rt 151 (Pisgah Highway) on Google maps

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a hoot on a bike. Some friends and I recently did a six-day ride in NC, WV, and VA. We used 151 to get from the BRP to Candler, which is just west of Asheville. Over the course of two days we rode 151 heading both north and south--twice. You can get into a great cadence and the turns vary from twisty to hairpins! My experience of traffic was much the same as yours--there was very little. Maybe a few cars. I recommend it also!

151 is so twisty, the Park service did not recommend it as a detour when the Parkway was closed just south of 191 (French Broad River). Too much chance of an RV getting hung up on one of the hairpins. 215 and 276 are a lot of fun also when crossing the Parkway.

Very common for tree huggers to park on the road itself. They actually stop in the road, get out to take pictures and commune with nature. Make sure you don't outrun your line of sight on 151. I've rounded a corner many times to meet the ass end of cager hiding around the turn.

No. This road sucks, do not ride it, do not tell anyone about it. It's so full of pot holes, it will soon be closed to all motor vehicles.

It will not become the next 'gap', 'snake', 'dragon', or any other stupid name.

Just say no to 151! :assassin:

:p

Last edited by a moderator: