Suzuki pulls out of MotoGP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrgary

Reaction score
Blaming the economy and natural disasters Suzuki just made it official and announced they are leaving MotoGP and hope to return in 2014.We'll have to rely on the new Claiming Rule Teams to fill the grid next year. Now it's apparent that Ben Spies made a very smart decision when he left Suzuki to ride for Yamaha in 2009 (WSB). I think Spies will be a championship contenter on the new 1000cc Yamaha. It will fit his size and style better than the 800.

I know nothing about the Claiming Rule Teams. What is that all about?

I totally agree that Elbows should do better on a 1000.

The CRT's are the FIM/DORNA's attempt to add teams/riders to the grid and make the racing more entertaining. It's suppose to be less expensive to run a CRT because you can use a production 1000cc motor but it needs to be in a prototype frame, similar to Moto2 now. The trick is you have to build this bike within a set dollar amount. Unfortunately I forgot what that amount is but i'll say $50,000. And if another CRT wants your bike, all they need to do is put up the 50k and "claim" it. The tech rules won't be so restrictive on the CRT's. For instance the size of the fuel cell won't be restricted as it is on the factory bikes. So the CRT bikes electronics won't have to cut fuel useage during the race as they do now at some tracks.

American Colin Edwards will be on a CRT next year. He will use a BMW motor in a FTR or Suter frame. Anthony West just signed on to race a bike with an Aprilia motor. San Carlo Gresini Honda will have a CRT with a Honda motor. So the teams are growing but I don't think they'll be competative with the factory bikes. Probably 3 to 5 seconds off the pace. It should be close racing between the CRT's.

I agree that this just sucks, although for the life of me, i cant figure out how one can make such fantastic streetbikes , some of the best in the world in fact, and field such miserable teams at the top levels of our sport...for over 20 damn years they have just sucked bad...and now to just bail....i'm convinced had hopper not been on a suzuki, he would have been champ at some time...maybe they ought to rethink the whole car thing...thats gotta be expensive when the joneses are honda et al. I hope it works out and they come back competative in '14...and this whole CRT thang sounds like fast track fodder to me...maybe they get there own class? i sure wouldnt be happy if a local yokal took out my 2mil plus prototype with his 50K special, but it may make for some great racing too! Its gonna be an interesting year for sure !!!

Bobby