FJR stuck in snowstorm in MN

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlson_mn

Reaction score
This past Saturday Nov. 19th a friend of mine who rides an ST1300 told me he saw an FJR on highway 100 being put onto a tow truck during the recent snow 'storm' of 3". Either way it was a nasty day.

So who got the ride of shame?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you tow? It was only 3 inches...I've ridden on 4 inches of snow no problem on a bike without a fairing or heated gear and 1970s technology.

It must have had a mechanical issue....

Before the snow really came down there was almost a freezing rain like precip and the roads went to shit, became icey

I saw a Honda PCH going along 94 about 11am.....sleet starting, and only 32'. (I was going to a COG tech session in the cage)

IMG_1584.jpg

Wasn't old Red Jacket, I snagged this pic of him at Teakettle Junction in Death Valley Nat. Park on Saturday.

It wasn't me, 83 and no snow here in sunny Central Florida....

I ride mine in the winter in MN all the time even on the lakes.. but the FJR stays in hibernation

That was a nasty sleet of ice that pelted the roadways before the snow hit here in MN

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1630ed.jpg

Impressive... handles ok on the snow and ice with those tires?

Are there speed limits on frozen lakes??? Getting more interested...

Lakes are impossible unless the snow has been packed or has faced some warm weather and then re-froze.

Handling with normal knobbies,, wouldn't recommend it unless you have plenty of dirt bike experience..

My photos above were with non-studded knobbies.

Studded tires work the best but don't work well on pavement that is clear. It is really a tough season to

ride in.

I've had some experience dating back to my teen years riding in the snow.. and that does go back a bit as the photo and bike show

72Honda-3.jpg

^ Nice!

I have an offer to ride a bike this winter with studded tires, on a track plowed on a Golden Valley lake. I think I'll give it a shot.

very good eye.. was winter of 75 in the snow and a 74 Elsinore

some of the 74 racing season.. sure do miss being 16, getting old sucks in some ways..sorry about the thread hyjack

72HondaWheel2.jpg

72Hondastart1.jpg

72HondaStart.jpg

72Hondahill.jpg

72Hondawheel1.jpg

72HondaTrophyTime.jpg

72Honda-1.jpg