#21 08FJR4ME

08FJR4ME

-SPEACHLESS-

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

I haven't made any plans as of yet this year but I must nail something down by the end of January. I keep wanting to head out west for some reason but it will require a couple of weeks to make the run. My other dilemma is that I have to burn up a couple of weeks with my timeshare this year also. I have stayed at the Von Trapp lodges in in VT and that is a thought for NERDS week to do and would kill two birds with one stone.

Still planning,
Dave
2008 FJR1300A, 2005-Honda XR650L-2001 Honda Rubicon 4X4 WynPro Custom MC Products Posted Image, Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#22 fljab

fljab

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Bike: 2009 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

I've not had the pleasure of doing a EOM, but I want to say that Lewisburg WV sounds great - lots of good roads in the area, and it's but a good days ride from my house!

And, I'll get Hoagy down from Moundsville for a really good time!

#23 extrememarine

extrememarine

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

I know what it is about Lewisburg - it's Jim and his mystery fruit!

so here's the rundown -
EOM 2003 - ?

EOM 2004 Townsend, TN

EOM 2005 Townsend, TN

EOM 2006 Boone, NC

EOM 2007 Brier Inn, Lewisburg, WV

EOM 2008 Brier Inn, Lewisburg, WV

EOM 2009 Holiday Inn, Johnson City, TN

EOM2010 NAFO Marriot, Knoxville, TN

EOM 2011 Cumberland Falls State Resort Park, Corbin, KY

EOM 2012 (Suggestions thusfar include: Lewisburg, WV, Staunton, Harrisonburg, Blacksburg, Radford, Lexington, Lynchburg VA, Bluefield, WV, Kingsport, TN, Bristol, TN)

Lewisburg holds water; we know the venue, area, etc. I believe Western VA holds some promise, but will take some serious recon of the area to find a suitable location.

Here's my .02 cents. I've been eyeing Ashville, NC area, just to the south, towards Henderson. Good day trip launch point putting North Georgia within reach, as well as Western VA, and closer destinations like Boone, NC and Shady Valley, and western NC. We haven't been back to NC (based out of at least) since 2006.

A poll right now I think would put Lewisburg out front. and it would put me back in range and with a good probability of getting my photographer back to that little spot in VA so I can update my avatar picture on Vader....

Wayne

extrememarine

2009 FJR1300 - aka Vader Version 2 point oh...

My avatar is me.  It is not some picture I copied from the interwebs because it looked cool.  Thanks JWilly for the great camera work...

#24 Intech

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:37 AM

All good suggestions. Lewisburg is still a good spot. Shady Valley would be nice, but I do know that the venues are limitied that could host more than 60 to 70. I would step up and work on this, but I can't commit to the time right now due to still working on my plans for a cross country trip putting NAFO in the middle.

Dave - What you think are cameras are traffic sensors. They have swithed to using those instead of the ground loops. I don't know of any traffic cameras in that area. I thought they were cameras also when they first went up. They have been an improvement in most areas, because the ground loops don't always pick up motorcycles.

Joe - FYYFF! ;)

No fancy signature line. Too many meets to try and keep up with the icons.

#25 El Toro Joe

El Toro Joe

FYYFF

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,229 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:44 AM

Joe - FYYFF! ;)

:lol:

Take the long way home VisitedStatesMap-2-1.jpgnc_camping_final.gifEOM11signaturegraphic50x100.pngSEOhioRamble1.gifEOM2012Signature.png

#26 fjr vfr

fjr vfr

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

All the places listed would do. Lewisburg, WV and Boone, NC were both very good locations. I like the idea of Ashville, NC. It was the location of the Honda Hoot for the first few years until it got too big and moved to Knoxville, TN. It has all the good things going for it, and it would be a nice change. Also there is a really good pizza/pub in town with a good selection of Micro-brews on tap! :drinks:
I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard any suggestions from the folks in places like New England, upper state NY the Ozark area, etc. :unsure: I guess they're happy with middle Appalachia? Nothing wrong with that.

#27 yamafitter

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard any suggestions from the folks in places like New England, upper state NY the Ozark area, etc. :unsure:
I guess they're happy with middle Appalachia? Nothing wrong with that.

Fred W tried to host EOM in New England but was told that the current folks that were involved in hosting EOM that they wanted to keep the event closer to the center of the east coast. It was at this time Fred W took it upon himself along with some other New Englanders to host the first NERDS event last summer. The rest is history as they say.

I rode with Wheaton & Griff on a multi-day ride inbetween SE Ohio & EOM. The roads in West Virginia are a treat. Just watch out for the coal trucks!!
cfrlogo-2-1.jpgNAFO-2010pinrev1.jpgcfr2010.jpgwcrlogo.jpgCFR2013signature_zpsf3d5251e.jpg
Confucius say: "No matter where you go ..... there you are"

#28 Mr Bill

Mr Bill

Old Dog

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

so here's the rundown -
EOM 2003 - ?

2003 First night Front Royal and second night Staunton

Hurricane Isabel closed many roads including SLD that weekend.

#29 extrememarine

extrememarine

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

Thanks Mr. Bill.

so here's the rundown -
EOM 2003 - ?

2003 First night Front Royal and second night Staunton

Hurricane Isabel closed many roads including SLD that weekend.

extrememarine

2009 FJR1300 - aka Vader Version 2 point oh...

My avatar is me.  It is not some picture I copied from the interwebs because it looked cool.  Thanks JWilly for the great camera work...

#30 luvtoride

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts
  • Bike: 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

Bill!!! I knew you'd be along shortly to answer the '03 thang'... being an old timer (in the FJR sense, that is)

& Asheville is an awesome area!

& I plan to attend whenever & wherever the meet is at. Plan it & they will come.
Shut up and Ride!!!

Godspeed TWN. We miss you.

#31 Jogle

Jogle

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

The next EOM I shall be more prepared and not get drunk as a skunk the night before. Got to the Cumberland campgroud at 3 am and then it rained the next 2 days. Rode 300 miles 1 day and had monkey butt. So anywhere is fine with me for the next EOM have a whole bunch of make up riding to do.:rolleyes:
07 Honda Rincon,04 Dodge Quad with Hemi & train horn. Rodney Dangerfield of the FJR Forum. 2011 EOM

Posted Image

#32 chivvalry

chivvalry

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Wherever gets picked I'm looking forward to it!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.
2008 FJR1300 - 'Zoe'

#33 lonerider

lonerider

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

That's the place - Peaks of Otter Lodge was the place that did not have the lodging capacity for our average numbers - it is on my radar as a stop over place or smaller group meet though, looks like a great place.

Just FYI- Peaks has no cell signal, no WiFi, no TVs in the rooms, and no phones in the rooms (as of my stay there in October), for anyone to whom that might be important. Beautiful, quiet place to stay, there are pay phones outside on each building and in the basement of the restaurant/gift shop building. Pisgah Inn (mile 408) does have a Verizon signal and is in the process (according to their web site http://www.pisgahinn.com/) of installing WiFi, to be available next year, again to those who consider this important.

deerstrike1.jpgdeerstrike1.jpgdeerstrike1.jpg  "Up yours, Bambi"

#34 08FJR4ME

08FJR4ME

-SPEACHLESS-

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:10 AM

Dave - What you think are cameras are traffic sensors. They have swithed to using those instead of the ground loops. I don't know of any traffic cameras in that area. I thought they were cameras also when they first went up. They have been an improvement in most areas, because the ground loops don't always pick up motorcycles.

Joe - FYYFF! ;)

Well thanks for the info on the traffic sensors. They sure as shit look like camera's to me tho. Dam! and to think I kept slowing down.

Sheeeeez, :lol:
2008 FJR1300A, 2005-Honda XR650L-2001 Honda Rubicon 4X4 WynPro Custom MC Products Posted Image, Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#35 Geezer

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,354 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

Well thanks for the info on the traffic sensors. They sure as shit look like camera's to me tho. Dam! and to think I kept slowing down.

Sheeeeez, :lol:

I believe thay are actually cameras. The image is processed to determine if a vehicle is waiting for the light. At least that's the way the ones in NJ work. They are not used for enforcement, but I suppose they could be.

Also, there are traffic cameras out there for speed enforcement. I know of one in particular in Bristol, TN. :angry:

'Frodo, It's a dangerous business, going out one's front door'

#36 beachy

beachy

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

anyone ever consider here http://switzerlandinn.com/
Posted Image

#37 1911

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

Switzerland Inn's tent sites

Posted Image

#38 chivvalry

chivvalry

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

Posted Image

Hey joe, I think that's actually worse than the gravel, huh?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.
2008 FJR1300 - 'Zoe'

#39 El Toro Joe

El Toro Joe

FYYFF

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,229 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

Posted Image

Hey joe, I think that's actually worse than the gravel, huh?

Who needs an air mattress? Gotta remember not to get out of the tent to piss in the middle of the night :lol:

Take the long way home VisitedStatesMap-2-1.jpgnc_camping_final.gifEOM11signaturegraphic50x100.pngSEOhioRamble1.gifEOM2012Signature.png

#40 wheatonFJR

wheatonFJR

Carpetbagger

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,247 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

Posted Image

Gonna need more than a DRZ to get up there...

Wicking it up in the Carolina Mtns...