What I learned on my Summer Vacation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarFJR

URGNT
Reaction score
Well folks,

As I look back from May 28th the day I picked up my bike and the joys of riding again after putting it away in my younger days to the day after what could be the last ride of my 1st season.

I will pause and share what I have discovered.

1st getting the bike was driven by a hard personal year or 2. Not much was going my way the past 2 years. Save my ever loving wife and good friends. A good job, great kids most would say all was not bleak. And true if you count blessings I was indeed still very blessed.

But still, it was time. Time to reach out and get just a little bit more life out of my life. After years of arm wrestling with Sandi about this, she could see there would be no more stopping me this year. Off to look at bikes we go.

At the shop I was always drawn to the FJR. I thought to myself that’s too much bike to jump back on. That’s way more than I want to spend…

I found the Form and signed on the dotted line shortly after.

My first meet up with the guys was at Dunkin’ donuts. This is a big first as I have never gone from chatting on a form to actually meeting people face to face. Just a few guys showing up for a coffee and to talk about wind shields.

It was Allen and Helen, Fred I don’t think Joanne was with him. I could be wrong.. and Dennis and Dan.

I remember thinking to myself wow this guys are geared and farkled hardcore! We talked about the bikes and shields and riding. I was feeling like some noob want to be compared to these guys, but I will tell you none of that came from them. They being the pleasant excepting folks we have all come to know.

Then we get to the riding part of the season. It seemed that if the sun was out and a few times even if it wasn’t there was a group ride going on. I rode whenever I could with the group. Learning my bike, and getting to know this new group of people I had met.

1st by myself and after a few rides with Sandi on the back. Sandi getting to know the girls and I the guys. Having great fun everywhere we took off for. Some times a few of us sometimes it looked like a parade. Usually with Fred or Allen setting the pace and steering the course.

We rode to eat.

We rode to bridges

We rode to scenic vistas

We rode threw old world charm

We rode threw farms and valleys

We rode to the tops of Mountains

We all rode for the love of the ride.

Then there is NERDS.I may have told this story a time or 2 but in brief. Sandi looked at me like I hade 2 heads when I said lets do this. What? Go up and hang out with a bunch of guys on bikes..

Now it is on her yearly trip planner.

I usually stay away from crowds. I have always thought if you put 10 people in the same room the general IQ level finds the lowest common denominator.

But what can I say. Go to the NERDS event and hang around 70-80 of the warmest, fun loving and greatest folk you will ever meet. Or stay home and mow your lawn. You pick.

NERDS was the best time I could have hoped for. Great location, people and as always with this bunch. It was all about the ride. I hope to see you all again next year. Fred looked at me kinda funny when I said I think we should book the whole place this year. But I still think this event can do nothing but get bigger.

That was the time I met the Jag’s and the Junkies a few crazy Canadians. Was it dcarver on that mighty fine looking Ninja? All too many to list but I would always join for a ride!

And the riding continued from then to now. People joining the group people coming along for this one. It’s amazing to me how many people I have met threw riding, and how many I would call friend if asked about them.

If I had to sum up what I have learned in bullet form.

- If Fred is leading, there will be a dirt road no matter what he posts.

- Bring a camera and someone to work it for you on the back of the bike.

- Yes it will take Helen an extra minute to get back into her gear

- Start getting your stuff one a full minute before Fred does or spend some time caching up

- Bring extra water for the day after the bridges ride

- Get gas BEFORE you meet up

- Allen will know something about everything

- Paul will always tease Gina

- 13 hours on the bike will make you sleep like a baby

- That a day out with friends is your best use of your time

- And yes WE ARE PIRATES!

I got back on a bike to have more fun in my life. I bought a FJR from the advice I got from the form. I didn’t see it as a life style choice, or a way to meet hot chicks. (Chicks dig bikes) What started out as a solo kind of thing has turned into much more. Bringing my closer to my wife. Opening myself up to new people. Making new friends where I thought the ones I have had forever where enough.

Thanks for a great summer to all that came and rode with me, with us. I will truly miss all of you over the winter and be good to go come the spring.

I would just like to say one more thing and be done with this long winded post. Thanks Fred and Allen for all you do to keep us organized and all the help you guys have personally given to me. As our unofficial team captains you both need to be recognized for how you manage to keep it loose fun and welcoming.

Well said, Tiger. I'm glad you are enjoying your new found life. It's a pretty damn good way to pass the time, if I do say so myself.

Yeah they're talking about some wet snow this week. But it might melt in time for the weekend...

I'm sure we can find a nice lunch destination somewhere.

And I promise... no dirt roads!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said, Tiger. I'm glad you are enjoying your new found life. It's a pretty damn good way to pass the time, if I do say so myself.

Yeah they're talking about some wet snow this week. But it might melt in time for the weekend...

Fred, isn't this the Friday that we do a little chowder eating?

I'm not quite sure that it will be cold enough for that ride this weekend, George. The temps are predicted to be ABOVE freezing.

And actually, the fried oysters were the "catch of the day" last year IMO. I'd do that again in a heart beat.

Also for your consideration, that wimp CJ has managed to incapacitate his bike this year (again) by sliding his rear end underneath a car. I think it was just to avoid having to make that ride again. And he lives close to that place in Athol!!

Oh yeah... I feel a challenge building up for this weekend.

I hope your not saying season one is over with any luck we might be able to ride right up till 2012.

Been great riding :ph34r: with you Tony

I'm not quite sure that it will be cold enough for that ride this weekend, George. The temps are predicted to be ABOVE freezing.

And actually, the fried oysters were the "catch of the day" last year IMO. I'd do that again in a heart beat.

Also for your consideration, that wimp CJ has managed to incapacitate his bike this year (again) by sliding his rear end underneath a car. I think it was just to avoid having to make that ride again. And he lives close to that place in Athol!!

Oh yeah... I feel a challenge building up for this weekend.
CJ;s bike may be fixed, it's been about 3 weeks since he dropped it off, besides which he does have his wife's bike to ride (if she's silly enough to let him). I am open this Friday.