2012 Yamaha YZF-R1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The summer of 2007 was the worse.... 3 citations. As much as I loved that bike, it was with a big sigh of relief that it got traded in for the Hayabusa a couple months later.
Sounds like to me you are saying that the busa is slower than the R1????
The Busa *is* slower that the R1.... coming off the line. :D

After a couple gear changes, though.... the Busa takes it handily.

T'was strictly a matter of discipline.... I have decent discipline on the Hayabusa. But next to none, when riding the R1.... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you've been down that path before, WC, but whassamatter? Haven't picked up enough performance awards lately? :lol:
I would not be honest if I didn't admit that the primary reason my red 2005 R1 was traded in on the Busa is due to my lack of discipline when riding the R1. :(

I gots me all kinds of discipline, mind you... but I just seem to chuck all of it out the window when I swung a leg over this old beauty of mine:

FullRightside.jpg

I have never received so many stops/citations on one bike before..... I was on the side of the road collecting my first speeding ticket WITHIN 20 MINUTES of owning the above bike! :( True story... was busted riding it home from Desert Valley Powersports, and got yet a SECOND citation less than 24 hours later! :angry2:

I owned that R1 from June, 2005 to Nov, 2007..... got busted a total of 11 times on that bike, 5 of which ended up in written citations.

The worse was 103 mph in a 55 zone...... amazingly, I was able to talk/plead myself out of that one.... the County Sheriff who stopped me owned the exact same model year R1! B) Thankfully, we were all alone out in the High Desert when I got busted, so I suspect this helped my cause a little.

The summer of 2007 was the worse.... 3 citations. As much as I loved that bike, it was with a big sigh of relief that it got traded in for the Hayabusa a couple months later.

I see the problem right there in that picture.

That's ticket me Red if I ever saw it.

You know, I've been looking seriously at this (sat on one at local MC show yesterday), but all the writeups say that the heat from the exhaust is brutal on the thighs and other parts. Anyone know if there's any aftermarket solution to that, as I really don't feel like getting fried by a sportsbike, and from what I can tell, some of the competitors don't have that problem.

With all the new additions to the R1 - sure would be nice if the FJR would get a decent revamping ONE year ;)

With all the new additions to the R1 - sure would be nice if the FJR would get a decent revamping ONE year ;)

But then the Gen 1 guys would call the Gen 2 bikes and the Gen 3 bikes POS bikes. And the Gen 2 guys would finally be able to call the Gen 3 bikes POS bikes.

July 2012 edition of Motorcyclist magazine page 24 shows a picture of the 2013 FJR1400.

Same magazine has a review of the YZF-R1 where one guy wrote: "The Yamaha has the best traction control and a great motor, but the harsh throttle response and underseat 'birth-control pipes' overshadow any positive aspects". I guess that thing gets hot :)

July 2012 edition of Motorcyclist magazine page 24 shows a picture of the 2013 FJR1400.
That was a bit hokey. It doesn't look like they had any intel -- they just made up their wish list.
+1, Gunny; if Motorcyclist wrote that the Earth was round, I would double check that on Wikipedia!

A worthless M/C Rag, agree with your comment on FJR and feel they're wrong on the YZF-R1 also!

https://www.cycleworld.com/2011/10/21/2012-yamaha-yzf-r1-first-ride/ Don Canet found no problems! Don C. is a real racer, not a hack!

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a bit hokey. It doesn't look like they had any intel -- they just made up their wish list.
+1, Gunny; if Motorcyclist wrote that the Earth was round, I would double check that on Wikipedia!

A worthless M/C Rag, agree with your comment on FJR and feel they're wrong on the YZF-R1 also!

https://www.cycleworl...-r1-first-ride/ Don Canet found no problems! Don C. is a real racer, not a hack!

Please tell me that was kilometers! :blink:

Dave