Does anyone use Garmin in Costa Rica?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

formerly "herfjr"
Reaction score
Jim and I are planning to go to Costa Rica this winter and I wanted to bring our Garmin 2730 there.

I also wanted to be able to put the maps on my computer and be able to make routes.

I have had some converstations with someone from SmartWays and it seems like they're reputable. I have read reviews and horror stories from other companies (particularly GPSTravelMaps, I think it was).

I was wondering if we had any fjr Forum members that live in CR.

Anyway....thanks in advance.

Oh, and also....I didn't know where to post this because there didn't seem to be a Central America region.

-Iris

Thanks for the replies.

I downloaded the one for the PC. It works with MapSource and it has routing capabilities and looks authentic. I am only concerned that it's not that accurate. Time will tell.

I was hoping to find someone that has actually used it so I'll check that ADV rider forum (as suggested) and see what they have to say.

Unfortunately, sometimes the people who are making the programs pretend to be the end users and their opinions are biased.

Well, worst case scenario we'll use maps (the old fashioned way).

Thanks again.

I was there in August...didn't use a GPS, just a GOOD paper map and an Ipod Touch. We found EVERYTHING we were looking for incredibly easy (with the exception of Santa Elena...it was dark and raining and we somehow bypassed it and came in from the opposite direction). You guys are going to have a blast!!! Also, as far as timing, we went in August. It's CR's "rainy season" but the weather was perfect! not too hot, not too cold, and you could get a GREAT room for CHEAP (it's their off season). We spent about $500.00/person per 7 day week (not counting the car+insurance {get the FULL insurance if you rent}) for food, lodging, tours, hot springs resort (Eco Termales near La Fortuna...make a reservation the day before, they limit the # of people to keep it uncluttered), etc. It was the BEST vacation I've EVER taken! HAVE FUN!