Kawi 636

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malve

Reaction score
Looking to get a used sport bike under the tree on Xmas for my gf. I found a 2006 Kawi 636 in good shape for $4,000. I am in SD and this would not be my first choice for her for a first bike but I definitely want a black 600 ish sport bike in decent shape. Is this bike too aggressive for a first bike? She does not know how to ride yet and will be taking the MSF class shortly. She has a very good head on her shoulders and will ride as responsibly as she is capable of.

Thanks in advance.

-Malve

Is your wife comfortable with an automotive clutch and manual shift?

Click the pic as the link to a review.

From this review:

The power is no joke-the 108 rear-wheel horses can help you reach the far side of 160 mph and can catch the inexperienced off-guard if they're not careful.

My wife took MSF course in 99 rode for 1st bike a 250 rebel, Honda, second bike CB750 night hawk, now a 800cc suzuke.By starting with a small bike and working up she injoyed riding and has for 12 years. Get something that will scare the bejebs out of her and you may never get her to ride again.

The semi-naked bikes (FZ-6, Bandit 600, SV-650) are cheaper to insure and much cheaper to repair in case of a tip over. The V-twin, if you can find a good used one that's not abused (track days, etc.) might be a bit easier for a beginner to ride.

BTW, there are a number of FZ owners on the forum and several of the lady owners, S.O.'s, wives, daughters, etc., ride them.

Enjoy riding with your new day-ride partner. :clapping:

Agree the 636 is too much sport bike. I had a FZ6, good bike to learn on and can really rip above 7k rpm. The Suzuki sv650 may be a little more sedate to learn on but will handle real nice. The FZ1 is also a bit much for a new rider

I've talked to very few riders who regretted starting on smaller bikes. It forces you to learn cornering and stopping before you learn speed. Even the modern high-revving 600 bikes can get away from most new riders. In the sportbike realm, the Kawi Ninja 250 and 500 are good starters. Suzuki's GS500 is great. All three models are widely available and fairly cheap to get into. Honda's CBR 250 will be the shiznit in a couple years when you can find them used.

I started on a GS500 and that bike is faster than 98% of vehicles on the road today.

SV would be a great bike as would a FZ6. Honestly, a 636 would be ok too as far as power goes if she has a good head on her shoulders and isn't a risk taker like me.

An FZ6 will get you in trouble just a couple tenths of a second behind the 636 :) , they're almost 100hp as well. I have ridden an FZ6 or a while and it has a very mild midrange and I think it would be a great first bike, and it's easy to ride.

I would lean toward the SV-650 or the Kawi 650 they are twins, a little narrower and carry their weight lower in the chassis. They are also not as prone to spin up like an in-line 4 cyclinder engine. The twins will be less intimidating for her to learn on. She can also push the limits on them and have a great time without getting in over the head. The FZ-6 would be a good back up to the twins. They are a detuned 600, but can get up an go if you twist the throttle hard enough.

Just remember when you take her riding to get her out of town and to go her pace or she will not have fun. You need to give her time to learn how to ride. As I use to say to my students in teh MSF course, congratulations, you have now learned how to ride a parking lot. Be careful out there and get as much seat time as you can to learn. You might also consider a dirt bike and do some off road ridding with her to. Will help get all the bike functions down without all the traffic to deal with.

The deal on the fz6r fell through but I may have found another here in SD with fewer miles, in worse shape cosmetically but for $1K less.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

FZ6R is a great bike that's easy to ride (good for new riders), pretty comfortable (same riding position as the FJR, but less wind protection), and fun enough to enjoy when you're no longer a new rider. My wife has one and I occasionally make excuses to ride it :)

Note that the FZ6R and FZ6 are very different bikes. The FZ6 is more of a naked sportbike (more forward position, more high end TQ/HP, less low/mid-range TQ). The FZ6R is not at all like a 600cc sport bike in the way power is delivered, but it looks and sounds like one.

I've added some Givi hard cases and a touring shield to the FZ6R and it looks like a mini FJR now.

I would lean toward the SV-650 or the Kawi 650 they are twins, a little narrower and carry their weight lower in the chassis. They are also not as prone to spin up like an in-line 4 cyclinder engine. The twins will be less intimidating for her to learn on. She can also push the limits on them and have a great time without getting in over the head. The FZ-6 would be a good back up to the twins. They are a detuned 600, but can get up an go if you twist the throttle hard enough.

Just remember when you take her riding to get her out of town and to go her pace or she will not have fun. You need to give her time to learn how to ride. As I use to say to my students in teh MSF course, congratulations, you have now learned how to ride a parking lot. Be careful out there and get as much seat time as you can to learn. You might also consider a dirt bike and do some off road ridding with her to. Will help get all the bike functions down without all the traffic to deal with.

I agree with Bryan on this post and lean towards the SV650. I also totally subscribe to spending a ton of time on dirt bikes as the early steps on the ladder to gaining riding skills.

:eek: Looks like she's been dragging knee already!

402253_2743020730076_1094207085_2977601_956650911_n.jpg

I like the picture of the bike in the house! I had a FZ6 for a couple years-great bike! Be sure to get on the FZ6Forum, good bunch of peeps and plenty of info for her 6. My forum name is Redwazp over there.

My wife and I are headed down to Palm Springs this week and are meeting a few FZ'rs for lunch at Carlee's in Borrego Springs on Thursday. If you two can join us send me a PM and I'll give you the details.

Last edited by a moderator: