Annual Last Ride of the Year

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus
Reaction score
perfect weather for Sat...Sunny in the 60's with high of 70

This ride will be a ride over all 8 Mississippi Bridges where both sides connect Louisiana Soil.

(starts in Metairie at Picadilly on Clearview...Riders meeting 9:00am...KSU (leave) 9:15am

rgds

Mike O

mholiver at patriotguard dot org

Ride information.

Riders Meeting: 9:00

Ride Starts: 9:15 sharp (be on your bike, bladder empty, and gas tank full)

Place: Ride starts at the Piccadilly Cafeteria, 2222 Clearview Parkway, and Metairie -> right off the Clearview exit of I-10 towards the River (Huey P Long bridge) to the right before West Napoleon

When exiting I-10 in Metairie exit Clearview exit and follow the sign that says

Huey Long Bridge (don’t go to the bridge yet). The Piccadilly is on the service

road on right. Take very first light you get to after exiting I-10.

Piccadilly has restrooms and is open for breakfast for 7:30.

Gas: There are two gas stations near the Piccadilly. A Chevron at the same light where you turn right to go the Piccadilly but the Chevron is to the left. A Danny and Clyde store with gas pumps just one block past the Piccadilly on the corner of Clearview and Napoleon.

Lunch: China King (noon)

Near Gramecy Bridge

Buffet under $10.00

Breaks: We have three locations picked out and will stop more if needed.

Length of ride: From the Piccadilly to our last bridge in St Francisville is about 220 miles. We will stop in St. Francisville for ice cream before departing home. I rode this with the Goldwingers in Oct and was home before 4pm.

Bridges to cross.

1 Crescent City Connection Bridge in New Orleans. Opened 1958 is the 5th longest Cantilever Bridges in World..

2 Huey Long Bridge of Jefferson Parish

Opened December 1935 replaced the Walnut Street Ferry. Bridge designed by Ralph Modjeshi. First bridge built to cross the Mississippi River, before this bridge you had to ride a ferry or swim. If you notice, there is a train track connected to this bridge as well as the Huey Long Bridge in Baton Rouge. Huey Long the governor at that time, worked with the train companies so that these train companies would share the cost of building these bridges. Ever think of how trains crossed the Mississippi before these bridges. A few rail cars at a time on barges.

3 Luling Bridge named the Hale Boggs Memorial Bridge opened October 6, 1983.

Cable stayed Bridge which is the 3rd major cable stayed bridge in the USA. It’s also known for being a zero maintenance due to its bronze color to blend with the muddy Mississippi.

4 Veteran’s Memorial Bridge (Gramecy, LA) opened 1995 connecting St. James and St. John Baptist. Replaced Ferry system 1976 accident that killed 78 when ferry sank.

5 Sunshine Bridge by Donaldsonville opened in 1963 which was nicknamed the “Bridge to No Where”. Formerly Toll Bridge @ 50 cents. One of our riders for this ride crossed this bridge on his motorcycle before it was open and even before paved roads were built leading to the bridge. He told me he rode on dirt and had to pick his bike up to put it on the bridge. (not a wing)

6 Baton Rouge New Bridge, Horace Wilkinson Bridge. Built 1969. Named for the 3 Horace Wilkinson’s that served a total of 54 years in LA Legislature.

7 Old Baton Rouge Huey P. Long Bridge opened August of 1940. A worker died and was buried when pouring the cement. His body is remains in the bridge footing. For many years, his family would leave flowers near the bridge and still could.

8 John J. Audubon Bridge opened May 5, 20ll due to the flood and the ferry was no longer able to operate.

Last edited by a moderator: