Summer '12 Tour

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesdog

Reaction score
Some friends are attending the Roger Waters 'The Wall' concert in Vancouver on May 26.

I'm probably not going to the concert, but do intend to ride with them, and hang out in the Big City while they get bleeding ears. :clapping:

After the concert, we plan to ride south along the Oregon coast.

Then I'd like to hang a left and go east for a bit, then up though the Dakotas, then Westward agin'.

I'll have 3 -4 weeks, and would like to camp out 2/3 of the time.

Any suggestions on the most scenic/biker-friendly route?

Some friends are attending the Roger Waters 'The Wall' concert in Vancouver on May 26.

... then up though the Dakotas, then Westward agin'.

I'll have 3 -4 weeks, and would like to camp out 2/3 of the time.

Any suggestions on the most scenic/biker-friendly route?
Avoid northwestern ND. There is a huge oil boom and the roads are full of oil field vehicles 24/7.

It's like the Old West up there, with tanker trucks in place of horse carts..

I recommend the Badlands of both western SD and southwestern ND, and even the tourist town of Medora.

I think their musical season begins in June, which should fit your schedule well. Clicky

To get east from there you will need to take I-94 to Bismarck, then you can take 2-lane highways east bordering the SD border.

Or, you can go south from Medora to Mobridge SD and then head east. Avoid the badlands in north central SD.

That area is miserably hot and desolate.

The southern ND will be green and relaxing, no twisty roads are allowed here. Set the cruise and enjoy the trillions of green plants

and hundreds of duck sloughs. Farm equipment should be off the roads by then.

If you plan to get into N. California, run through Happy Camp and see the 20' metal Big Foot. Great roads in and out. When I went through there in 2009 I went East to West CA-96, turn right at Big Foot and run NW back into OR. than 199 SW back into CA and the Red Woods. South down the coast head E from Fortuna on CA-36 into Red Bluff.

Latest posts