SFO '12

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't matter to me when, but if it is back closer to the good twisties(Eureka, The Hub, etc), I will certainly come out and play!

We had a blast at our informal gathering last year in Russellville. The hotel was nothing fancy but reasonably priced and the food at the hotel was surprisingly excellent! As a big bonus it was a WET oasis in an otherwise DRY county, not to mention they treated us very well. To top it off, Russellville is centrally located in the twisties, it just doesn't get any better than Highway 7 South to Hot Springs. Of course you have the Pig Trail and all of the other fun north of I-40.

If there isn't a formal set up this year, I'm all about meeting a gang of you at the same place sometime in May.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a blast at our informal gathering last year in Russellville. The hotel was nothing fancy but reasonably priced and the food at the hotel was surprisingly excellent! As a big bonus it was a WET oasis in an otherwise DRY county, not to mention they treated us very well. To top it off, Russellville is centrally located in the twisties, it just doesn't get any better than Highway 7 South to Hot Springs. Of course you have the Pig Trail and all of the other fun north of I-40.

If there isn't a formal set up this year, I'm all about meeting a gang of you at the same place sometime in May.
let's make it official, then...informal is good...just a bunch of riders exploring roads by day and telling lies by evening...plus ya'll's previous experience will give us all a better time with good proven and new decisions

far as I'm concerned...done...maybe ya can set a date and negotiate pricing and let us know...you know the basics of barely organizedf !!! :rolleyes:

maybe check out other gathering dates here and miss them a bit...not conflict

I'm pumped

Come on up north of Russellville and I'll personally show where it gets a LOT better than hiway 7!

Just FYI...Last year some members started planning an unofficial ride within SFO and then the "official" SFO event was established at a different time and location. This in effect cancelled the original unofficial ride. This is not a complaint but simply a statement of what happened last year. I think a ride in early May out of the Hub or surrounding area would be great! Just realize what could happen.

Just FYI...Last year some members started planning an unofficial ride within SFO and then the "official" SFO event was established at a different time and location. This in effect cancelled the original unofficial ride. This is not a complaint but simply a statement of what happened last year. I think a ride in early May out of the Hub or surrounding area would be great! Just realize what could happen.
thanx...I'm proposing early May as "official" and am available to help with the organizing

I think early is better weather and farther away from Memorial Day is a good thing with Patriotic celebration/remembrance activities conflicting

let's ride safe and be careful out there

Mike in Nawlins'

....... To top it off, Russellville is centrally located in the twisties, it just doesn't get any better than Highway 7 South to Hot Springs.
Yeah, I heard that a few slow old farts took that scenic route. They were putting along so slowly that they almost got cited for impeding traffic. :D

Patience, patience my SFO brothers. It is only the first week of January and it is not even pouring down rain, yet. Besides, I would like to see a unified SFO this year and not several competing factions. Plus, I also heard of a hoodlum group of FJR riders doing the Hwy7 Hwy9 loop at some rather elevated speeds. Personally, I would never ride at that kind of pace. Heck, someone might run off the road at those reckless speeds. You can bet I will be at the 2012 SFO come rain or rain or rain!

Gary Green

PS: Hey Turk & Fred

Patience, patience my SFO brothers. It is only the first week of January and it is not even pouring down rain, yet. Besides, I would like to see a unified SFO this year and not several competing factions. Plus, I also heard of a hoodlum group of FJR riders doing the Hwy7 Hwy9 loop at some rather elevated speeds. Personally, I would never ride at that kind of pace. Heck, someone might run off the road at those reckless speeds. You can bet I will be at the 2012 SFO come rain or rain or rain!

Gary Green

PS: Hey Turk & Fred
Some hoodlum ran off the road? Missed a curve? Do tell. :rolleyes:

Mike, if you'd like to do SFO this year, that's fine. Obviously I'm out since I moved to LA over the summer. I spoke to Mark last month and he is out too since he has started a new career that is taking up a lot of his time. I asked Scott if he wanted to do it, since he jumped on it last year but he has not responded. So I guess your free to have at it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Chik~

it just doesn't get any better than Highway 7 South to Hot Springs

HW 7 south is a nice ride but it is waaaaay better north of Russelville than south...

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, the Sport-Touring.net National Rally is in Eureka Springs from June 19-20th.

if SFO is there in May looks like I may be forced to go to Arkansas to ride two months in a row.

Damn that would suck...

The hotel was nothing fancy but reasonably priced and the food at the hotel was surprisingly excellent! As a big bonus it was a WET oasis in an otherwise DRY county, not to mention they treated us very well.
Really? That was one of the factors (just one of many) that figured into us not making it last year. So you can buy liquor/wine nearby? I thought we were going to have to go thirty miles up the road. We seriously dislike having to be tee-totaliers for dinner. And there is good food nearby too?

Mike, if you'd like to do SFO this year, that's fine. Obviously I'm out since I moved to LA over the summer. I spoke to Mark last month and he is out too since he has started a new career that is taking up a lot of his time. I asked Scott if he wanted to do it, since he jumped on it last year but he has not responded. So I guess your free to have at it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Chik~
Oops I'm sorry Michelle, you did ask and I dropped the ball, been a bit busy latley!

I'm with Mike, "Informal" is good. hwy 7 to Hot Springs is OK, but thats about it.

Jasper area is about as centraly located as its going to get.

The HUB (just North of Jasper) is a pretty cool place, it aint the Ritz but 40 - 45 bucks a night, double occupancy is hard to beat. The food is pretty good, they got meeting rooms and when you pull out of their driveway onto hwy 7 theres a curve right away! You can be on 123 or 74 in about 10 minutes.

Most of ya'll already know about "The Cliff House" and the "Ozark Cafe" in Jasper for further great eating opportunities.

I would say the first 3 weekends in may look good 4th, 5th and 6th, 11th 12th and 13th or 18th 19th and 20th.

Actually the 11th 12th and 13th work best for me, and it wont rain that weekend either!

But Mike you started it, so its your call.

Chik~
I'm willing to take it on, but would solicitate/appreciate assistance / co-coordinators

I posted a poll, but would sure be easier on me to repeat last years details

PM sent to the Chikee - would mainly request her setting up the web site

hope to see you there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Ahhhh.... nice to stumble across this thread. I'm looking forward to a truly official announcement with website notification/hotel information so I can put in for vacation request (some of us work weekends to keep your asses alive). I attended two years ago and polished off a pair of PR2s on some surprisingly challenging roads. It was a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.