Poll: SW-FOG 2012 duration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
July works the best for me, if anyone really cares.

Just a thought.

Joe
Be very careful with this, Scott! I think this Joe guy may be a Troll! Has anybody here ever seen this Joe dude post to our FJR Forum before? jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Mexico_2010_275.jpg
yeah, I think he just likes to crash our various events and then leave without anyone hearing from him again.

I have no dog in your hunt. Just wanted to lay out what we've done (and are doing again) for NERDS that seemed to work really well:

The "official" event days are from Thursday thru Sunday, with most folks coming in on Wednesday sometime. We intentionally schedule the only real "group dinner" (just a Bar-B-Que for NERDS) on the Friday evening rather than Saturday. The idea being that if folks who are pressed for time they can come in a day (or two or three) early, and then head on back toward home on Saturday AM without fear of missing out on too much.

It also looks like there will be some of the NERDS coming in at the beginning of the week (Mon - Tues) and extending their vacations and fun.

Not sure if that is something that appeals to you South-Westerners, but thought I'd offer it up as an alternative.

PS - Great looking event web site!! :p
Yep, that's what I was thinking too, and I'll keep the "official" dates Thur - Sun, but I'm going to go out a day early myself and can lead a ride on Thursday if there's enough interest...otherwise, I'll just go ride somewhere myself ;) Based on the current vote tallies, looks like most people are preferring July. Those that do have a dog in this hunt, get your votes in!

That sure is a great looking event web site too, isn't it! I'm glad that it's completely unique and original to SW-FOG :p

Have any more ideas I can steal suggestions? :p

"HotRodZilla, on 09 January 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

July 18, or 19 to the 22 would be awesome. I say we go that route. You offically have my opinion...If you care

phroenips, on 09 January 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

Thanks for the input guys, does anyone else have any preference to have it sometime in July other than HRZ (I'm thinking July 18 or 19 - 22 maybe)? I didn't see/notice the Gathering of the Clans scheduled for Aug 2-5 until later."

phroenips: Big-D and Chuy want to share some inside SW-FOG information with you. If you don't go along with what HotRodZilla wants: He's going to cry!

Last edited by a moderator:

July 18, or 19 to the 22 would be awesome. I say we go that route. You offically have my opinion...If you care

Thanks for the input guys, does anyone else have any preference to have it sometime in July other than HRZ (I'm thinking July 18 or 19 - 22 maybe)? I didn't see/notice the Gathering of the Clans scheduled for Aug 2-5 until later."

phroenips: Big-D and Chuy want to share some inside SW-FOG information with you. If you don't go along with what HotRodZilla wants: He's going to cry!

What happened to Zilla's Driver's License photo? Did he cry and whine again to get you to remove it from the post? :p

What a whiner. :lol:

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Don't do it.

My July is pretty open, the first half of August is booked....and I really like riding in Colorado....so if it is the July date I am going to try to attend.

That's totally false...I'll cry like a bitch. Which is much more dynamic than just regular crying. And FWIW, even though I cried, I still went and hung out. Even if I wasn't happy about it. :p

Dammit Don...And I was just getting ready to say something nice about you.

That's totally false...I'll cry like a bitch. Which is much more dynamic than just regular crying. And FWIW, even though I cried, I still went and hung out. Even if I wasn't happy about it. :p

Dammit Don...And I was just getting ready to say something nice about you.
What, I don't sweat too much for a fat boy? Hey, I'm with you Buckwheat! I'm hoping you and I can snivel, piss and moan for July until Scott gets sick of listening to us!

I'm hoping you and I can snivel, piss and moan for July until Scott gets sick of listening to us!
I'm betting he's already there...But, I did make my reservations for NERDS today and have my travel plans going, so any date other than July may be an issue...Either way, I'll do my best to go.

OK. Re-voted for the July date. Am thinking showing up to this Foggy gathering would only enhance my summer trip, not lessen it. Either way still wouldn't be showing up till Thursday night.

I'm tentatively planning on going to the MSTA's national event out of Avon, CO, but stayin to ride a total of 7 days of twisty routes. I really look forward to experiencing the 'real' motorcycle roads around central CO. Not sure if I can get out there again the next month but it'd be fun.

I'm tentatively planning on going to the MSTA's national event out of Avon, CO, but stayin to ride a total of 7 days of twisty routes. I really look forward to experiencing the 'real' motorcycle roads around central CO. Not sure if I can get out there again the next month but it'd be fun.
The good news is that if you can make it back out for SW-FOG, Salida is far enough from Avon where there are some distinctively different environments to ride it. It may seem silly, but the northern Colorado riding feels a fair bit different than the central Colorado rides which are different yet from the southern Colorado rides.

Yesterday was really slow at work, and the temperatures were in the 50s and 60s, so I decided to take a ride out to Salida to check out some of the hotels in person.

Here's a shot I took on the way there on US-50:

winter-on-the-way-to-Salida.jpg

And in my excitement to play hooky and ride the motorbike, I kinda forgot that I still lived in Colorado, and it's January, and I was going into the mountains. A good portion of US-50 between Cañon City and Salida is in a deep canyon, meaning lots of the road never sees any sunlight in the winter. My sphincter got a really good workout as I navigated the snowy/icy roads. See the things I do for you guys?? ;)

I took a different route back home, and while it was drier for the most part, there was a section that got a little chilly:

winter-BURR-at-US285-24.jpg

Luckily, only about 20 miles down the road, it warmed up to a balmy 22* F!

Fortunately for you guys, we don't see these temperatures in July...at least not usually ;)

The last time I was in Salida, we rode from Aspen, over Independence Pass and stayed the night. The next day we rode to Pagosa and over WolfCreek Pass. I don't remember much about it, but it should be cool.

Thanks for yesterdays 'sacrifice' Scott!

The last time I was in Salida, we rode from Aspen, over Independence Pass and stayed the night. The next day we rode to Pagosa and over WolfCreek Pass. I don't remember much about it, but it should be cool.

Thanks for yesterdays 'sacrifice' Scott!
Both of those are routes I was going to suggest to people. Up and over Independence pass, maybe have lunch or something in Aspen, then come back to Salida over Independence pass again, or possibly go up to I-70 a bit to Glenwood Springs, and head east on I-70...don't let this section of Interstate fool you, you'll pass through Glenwood Canyon which is really fun and pretty (it does seem to be a bit more heavily patrolled than other areas though...which is a shame). Before you get to Vail, you can head back south on US-24, and pass through the Camp Hale area, eventually winding up back in Salida. Something along the lines of this: https://g.co/maps/d7bmc

Riding time is around 6 hours on that one, so it might make for a relatively long day ride...all depends on what you're used to, and what you're looking for, etc.

Wolf Creek pass is nice too, you can incorporate it with a trip down to the Sand Dunes, although if you make a loop out of it, the west (Alamosa) side to get back to Salida is straight and boring through the San Luis valley, although you're surrounded by beautiful mountains. It can get windy through there too.

If you are coming to Colorado for SW-FOG 2012: You absolutely must work riding State Route 92 through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park into your moto riding plans!

There are just so many incredible motorcycling roads in Colorado it is truly unbelievable! Papa Chuy Viejo highly recommends riding Rocky Mountain National Park, absolutely gorgeous!